Thread: Article: Twins Sent Eight to Minor League Camp

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Sent Eight to Minor League Camp

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm curious about Waring. Might he be the third basemen of the future if Sano goes to first?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I'm curious about Waring. Might he be the third basemen of the future if Sano goes to first?
    Waring is 29 and has just a handful of games above AA, so no. He's a guy with some power, but right now, he's behind Plouffe and Deibinson Romero.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    So where does this leave Pinto?

Is he the only other catcher left in camp with Sukuzi? If so, Twins must be planning on him to catch regularly.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    20 pitchers and 40 total still in camp?--way too many. The projected active roster need lots of innings to be fully ready for the regular season. 15 and 30 is far more appropriate. I predict another slow start because of this "indecision".

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cutting Santana by itself might have made sense if Bernier (who has been barely average) and Bartlett (who has been horrible) were already cut. Add the fact that Florimon cannot even make contact in live BP by an A-level pitcher, and this looks like they are handing Eduardo Escobar the starting SS job.

Herrmann is not necessarily competing with Pinto as a catcher. I think that Pinto and Suzuki will be the catchers in a 50-50 arrangement. Herrmann is competing with Kubel, Parmelee, Colabello & co for a bench/DH/OF job. That would give Gardy his third catcher.

Also surprised at Kris Johnson. He has been good this spring and I was thinking that he might have a chance at a pen role over someone like Thielbar. But I guess the Twins want to stress him as a starter for Rochester and this then makes sense to do now.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Cutting Santana by itself might have made sense if Bernier (who has been barely average) and Bartlett (who has been horrible) were already cut. Add the fact that Florimon cannot even make contact in live BP by an A-level pitcher, and this looks like they are handing Eduardo Escobar the starting SS job.

Herrmann is not necessarily competing with Pinto as a catcher. I think that Pinto and Suzuki will be the catchers in a 50-50 arrangement. Herrmann is competing with Kubel, Parmelee, Colabello & co for a bench/DH/OF job. That would give Gardy his third catcher.

Also surprised at Kris Johnson. He has been good this spring and I was thinking that he might have a chance at a pen role over someone like Thielbar. But I guess the Twins want to stress him as a starter for Rochester and this then makes sense to do now.
    Good points. Johnson needs stretching out. He's better than Diamond, IMO, but he has options. So he was not going to make the team out of spring training. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him before September this year.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't even begin to understand having Pinto in a true backup role. Catching every day and hitting every day in games seems more valuable. Suzuki is not good, though. So there's that.

Everything else here makes sense. I don't understand why there hasn't been more said throughout the last few years about how Danny Santana has real fielding issues.

9. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (03-17-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, the concerns about Santana's fielding issues are very real. Very inconsistent.

As for having guys like Bernier/Bartlett and so many pitchers is that they do have to have arms.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Most of this makes sense. Twins expect Florimon to be ready and Escobar to be the utility guy. If Florimon is not ready than Bartlett makes the team as the backup to start. Unless Bartlett is so bad they cut him and bring up Santana to start until Florimon is ready.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    20 pitchers and 40 total still in camp?--way too many. The projected active roster need lots of innings to be fully ready for the regular season. 15 and 30 is far more appropriate. I predict another slow start because of this "indecision".
    Another? Didn't they go 4-2 last year during the first week? It must have been one of their better weeks.

I am certain they are following a plan based on B games, schedule and stretching out starters. They probably knew they were get down to this number on this date.

Blog Entries
    In every position besides catcher, I would say a prospect needs to play every day. But there's plenty of work to go around the catching position that a 50-50 split won't hinder Pinto's development. Even when he's sitting next to Steiny, or out in the bullpen with Cuellar, he'll learn something.

After watching Fryer yesterday, it is clear that he's behind Pinto both offensively and defensively, not counting upside. His defense was brutal.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love what Santana brings to the table offensively. And if he isn't ready now, it sure looks like it won't be long. Very disappointed to see him sent out at this point, especially with nothing showing Floriman will be 100% by opening day, and nobody else showing anything to this point.

Defensively, all indications, reports and watching him, are that he has the tools to do the job in the field eventually. There have been a few boots so far this ST that just won't do. I wonder though how much of those are due to youth vs playing tight? As Gladden pointed out the other day in a broadcast, while showing ability, there have been no real WOW or signature plays defensively to this point. Still, I would have liked to see him another week at least, especially if told he was going to open in Rochester. Perhaps he would relax more.

Santana has a great bat and he has speed. But the Twins need a shortstop who can make the average play at shortstop and Florimon and Escubar can certainly do that. Will Santana reach that point? No one truly knows at this point.

Blog Entries
    I think we'll see Florimon almost everyday at this point. If he's not ready, he'll stay in extended spring until he is. In that case, Escobar will start until Florimon is ready. Santana needs seasoning. But he opened some eyes this year. I'd be surprised if he isn't up yet at the All-Star break. That would mean he's not making the adjustments defensively. It's up to him.

Liked 80 Times in 60 Posts
    Florimon has likely shown that he'll be 100% by opening day, just not to us. I see no reason to be disquieted by Santana's departure ahead of Bernier or Bartlett. Santana has his marching orders: go down and get your act together regarding routine plays, and if you demonstrate the ability to slow the game down on defense, you'll be back up. No one expects Bernier to take a sudden jump from his AAAA ceiling. Bartlett either beats out Escobar or he doesn't, and I personally hope he gets his walking papers. Having both Bartlett and Escobar on the bench would really be dissappointing.

I'm not as upset about the prospects of watching Florimon for much of 2013 as others. He's fun to watch on defense, and he was sent to winter ball to work on cutting down his strikeouts, and if he shows some improvement in that regard, his AB's may be slightly more bearable.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    I'm relieved Hicks wasn't part of these cuts. I need something to watch early in the season after my "yay baseball is back!" enthusiasm wears off and I have to watch this brutal offense. He would fit that bill perfectly.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually most surprised by Mastroianni being sent down. Doesn't that make a strong case that Hicks will make the Opening Day roster and therefore be the center fielder?

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Hicks will be the opening day center fielder, and Presley bench.

Florimon played well today in the minors and did hit a triple. He just glides around the bases, long strides, and so smooth. Played well in the field too. He'll be ready to go. I like the guy, myself.

21. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (03-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I agree--why are Twins still carrying Bartlett--stick a fork in him--he is done. I understand that Santana (maybe SS of the future) has defensive problems and needs to play everyday. The key is--Florimon. If he can go opening day (I have my doubts) then OK. If not, then why not play Santana until Florimon is ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast