Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Even though Hicks is better than AP and DM......

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Whether or not Hicks can be this year's Dozier is dependent on whether or not the Twins feel that he has mentally reset himself. He was a big mess. It's possible that he has but just looking at his .650-.700 OPS after the first month disguises how poor his AB's were in his better months.

I still like Hicks as a solid OF'er but his upside isn't as high as some think or thought.

2. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-17-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some of you guys think that sending a player to AAA is like putting a plant in an organic garden with good sunshine and adequate water, and that, in that environment, the plant comes back strong, healthy and ready to produce.

I think you need to spend some time in AAA yourselves and admire the wonderful environment in Rochester or wherever. Sure, you can puff up an OPS down there by feasting on some bad pitching, but it's not the same thing as becoming a quality MLB player.

Sometimes, with some guys, you need to learn on the job. And the job is hitting MLB pitching. The wrenching decisions of going back and forth to AAA and the Majors, that has an impact on a kid's understanding of his talent.

When it comes to Hicks, I stand by this: He's a good kid with good pedigree, he has a MLB body, arm and speed. He has all the skills to be a very good professional. It ain't doing anyone any good to send him to Rochester and wait for the snow to melt. Let the kid play, let him rob some HRs, let him run the bases, let him hit free and easy down in the lineup. We will see what he's got. If he can't produce, we got Buxton.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 03-17-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Liked 1,679 Times in 839 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    Some of you guys think that sending a player to AAA is like putting a plant in an organic garden with good sunshine and adequate water, and that, in that environment, the plant comes back strong, healthy and ready to produce.

I think you need to spend some time in AAA yourselves and admire the wonderful environment in Rochester or wherever. Sure, you can puff up an OPS down there by feasting on some bad pitching, but it's not the same thing as becoming a quality MLB player.
    If you've played at Rochester or have extensive evidence it's a hellhole that is widely regarded as punishment by the organization's players, please share. Otherwise you don't know any more about it than the rest of us, so how does that help your argument? Fwiw, I've actually been there on business several times, and it's really a pretty nice city.

And Hicks was pretty freakin' far from puffing up his OPS when he played there last year. Maybe it was the injury, maybe it wasn't. The way to find that out would have been to have him try AAA again. But instead the Twins are setting him up to fail and get demoted again, which, and I'm just spitballing here, might be worse for him than enduring the horror of having to play in Rochester for a few weeks.

Interesting that you keep bringing up the scouting trope about body type. Puckett and Hrbek are two of the most iconic players in Twins history, and they both looked like they were chosen at random from the stands for a 'Play an Inning of Major League Ball!' Veeck promotional stunt.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-17-2014 at 08:38 PM.

5. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (03-17-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,929 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Okay, let's step back a little and tone it down. I think there are good reasons for Hicks to go north with the Twins or to start the season in Rochester. Agree to disagree and keep the discourse civil and on track.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 03-18-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123