Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Based on Spring Training Results?

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

Based on Spring Training Results?

Right or Wrong... I always believe that Spring Training numbers don't carry a ton of weight because I think the Front Office and Manager have a pretty good idea who is going North with the club before ST starts.

But... In consideration of the battle for the #5 spot in the rotation.

Thus far... Doesn't it appear that Deduno is in the pole position.

Worley has struggled so far and Diamond hasn't been grabbing the spot with both hands.

Plenty can happen between now and opening day. But...
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

2. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (03-16-2014)

Totally agree! I am surprised how good Deduno has been. I really didn't think he would be ready coming off the shoulder surgery. Not only has he been better, but I believe his upside is much higher than either of the other two.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,595 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the spot is Deduno's to lose at this point.

5. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-14-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,287 Times in 690 Posts
    So far it's Deduno, still time for the other guys to give people something to think about though, which I have to think the team wants considering age and options.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,935 Times in 1,135 Posts
    I think they are going to put Deduno in the pen, and I'm not opposed to that. I think Gibson will have the 5th spot and who knows what will be of Diamond and Worley.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    I think they are going to put Deduno in the pen, and I'm not opposed to that. I think Gibson will have the 5th spot and who knows what will be of Diamond and Worley.
    You may be right... Deduno has been getting relief appearances thus far... Yet.. He is getting multiple innings which indicates stretching him out as well.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

9. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Since71 (03-14-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would hope it's Deduno, but I think he'll be put in the 'pen to start the year. Once he's fully up to speed I would assume he'd be the first guy to takeover whatever SP spot opens up. I think Worley will be given the first chance at the 5 spot, and unless Diamond can fit in the 'pen too, he might be gone.

I think they are going to have to lose (or risk losing) Worley or Diamond no matter which route they take.

But I'd rather Gibson get the spot over anybody, regardless of "options," "performance in ST," etc...
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

11. This user likes Steve Lein's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Since71 (03-14-2014)

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    You may be right... Deduno has been getting relief appearances thus far... Yet.. He is getting multiple innings which indicates stretching him out as well.
    I think he's in the pen and only used as a starter sparingly, if a need arises. Really unsure about who the 5th will go to, but I just think it'll be Gibson.

You may be right and I think that was the original thinking about Deduno. Now I think he may be showing enough health to grab the 5th spot which allows them to put the better of Diamond/Worley in the pen. I too hope Gibson starts the year in Minn but because he has options I am guessing he starts in Rochester

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I think the idea that Gibson makes the rotation is based on hope. It's a hope I share but I don't see any scenario, barring a pile of injuries in two weeks, that makes that happen.

I'm almost positive it will be Deduno with Worley going to the pen. To me, the question is if Diamond makes the pen too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I think the idea that Gibson makes the rotation is based on hope. It's a hope I share but I don't see any scenario, barring a pile of injuries in two weeks, that makes that happen.

I'm almost positive it will be Deduno with Worley going to the pen. To me, the question is if Diamond makes the pen too.
    Agreed. I can't see a team with the most optimistic upside of being 81 wins giving up on guys with no options and possible trade value for a guy who has options/is on the team control clock.

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Yeah, I think my Gibson at the 5th is more hope. If he's not on the team he's first in line when someone falters, Diamond or Worley. I just think Deduno throws too many pitches and will end up in the pen and stay there except for a spot start here and there. I don't think his shoulder will allow for more than that. Just my gut feeling.

17. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-15-2014)

I don't know. He's not a guy you can bring in with guys on base because he can be wild and I think it takes him a few batters to settle in. In any event, he's not a good choice for high-leverage innings. I think its a much better approach to hand him the ball at the beginning of a game and let him do his thing for 100 pitches, however far that gets us. I did hear one of the Twins brass talking about how they don't like the fact that Deduno runs through his pitch count so fast that they worry about taxing the bullpen. Still, when he's on he is an elite pitcher so I hope they give him a chance at the rotation, and just take the good with the bad.

19. This user likes alskntwnsfn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-14-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I'd take Deduno with no hesitation. He will give us a chance to win every game, IF, we can score runs. But I'm not impressed at all with this team this season. It's gonna be another long one.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My take on this is here, and I still think that Diamond is the old man out...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that Deduno has been lights out this spring. But it's interesting that he has done all his work out of the pen to date. I wouldn't be surprised if they go north with Gibson in the five spot and Deduno as the swing man out of the pen, just to save his arm for later in the season.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Makes him a decent candidate for a left-handed long reliever with the occasional spot start. I think that's where it could end up.
    Is he versatile enough to take up throwing southpaw at his age?

Or, maybe you're saying that if Deduno's in the rotation, you want Diamond in the bullpen as his designated reliever?

24. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-14-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope that Deduno goes to the pen and Gibson goes north as the 5th starter. Time to cut bait on Worley and Diamond

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    I'd take Deduno with no hesitation. He will give us a chance to win every game, IF, we can score runs. But I'm not impressed at all with this team this season. It's gonna be another long one.
    I think Deduno has all but earned a spot, but that Gibson can force him to the 'pen.

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I agree that Deduno has been lights out this spring. But it's interesting that he has done all his work out of the pen to date. I wouldn't be surprised if they go north with Gibson in the five spot and Deduno as the swing man out of the pen, just to save his arm for later in the season.
    I'd be fine with this too. I think its almost likely that Gibson and Deduno spend some time in the pen this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast