Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Why aren't the Twins taking interest in Nick Franklin?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why aren't the Twins taking interest in Nick Franklin?

I'm a big fan of Franklin and I think he's going to be a great shortstop of the future. He had a pretty good year for a 22 year old rookie and was a top 100 prospect for two years. I'd like to see the Twins enter the mix since he is being shopped around. I imagine the Mariners would want some outfield prospects in return. Maybe you start with Kepler and Berrios?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He only out-hit Florimon by 4 points (.225 versus .221) and had only one more RBI (45 to 44). Not worth the defensive downgrade.

No, I'm kidding. He looks like he'll hit, and those aren't the stats I'd look at anyway, and then there's the age difference. But there do seem to be questions about his defense at SS, and I'm sure the Mariners are hoping for a lot more than the out-of-options fifth-starter types that we'd like to trade away. Since there's no current need for a 2B replacement, I don't see a fit here.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    I thought I had read the asking price was REALLY high too.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,265 Times in 677 Posts
    If the Twins have any promise in the infield it's at 2B, I'm not sure what the interest in Franklin would be. The Mariners mainly want to get a decent pitching prospect back in return, I wouldn't part with what it would take to get him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Because we don't need a Second Baseman.

Don't kid yourself, Franklin can't play SS (or shouldn't, depending on the tone you like). I'd rather have Brad Miller from the Mariners. He's not a super-glove either, but he's way better than Franklin and suitable for SS, and has shown he can hit. Reminds me a lot of the "good" Jason Bartlett.
    Last edited by Steve Lein; 03-14-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
    I think the issue as others have stated is that he's not good enough to play SS, only 2B. Otherwise, I would totally agree with you.