Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I think Zack of the Mets is better!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Was he the guy on Save by the Bell?

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One more very good game by Jason Wheeler as the Snappers won game one of what would be a sweep of the Lansing Lug Nuts. Six innings of work and 5 hits, one earned run, Six strike outs (All swinging!) and 3 walks. THis moves Wheelers record up to 11 and 4 with a 3.68 ERA. Wheeler is one a roll with 3 wins in a row, 20 innings of work, 16 hits, 6 earned runs, 14 strike outs and 8 walks. I know this is not overwhelming, but Jason had hit a bit of a rough patch in June with three of his four losses and seems to have righted his season so far in June. As we turn toward the seasons last month I have to say I have been very surprised and excited by the performance of Jason Wheeler, he has to moving up some prospect lists as the season continues and I hope he gets a shot at Fort Meyers before the end. If however he does not get that opportunity I hope to see him in the MWL playoffs on the mound for the Snappers.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Jason Wheeler thread remains the same. I have been out of touch for a week now and I come back guess what, Jason Wheeler had 2 very good games pitched. July 25th at Burlington he held the Bee's scoreless for 6 innings on 4 hits, 2 walks while he struck out four. This got Jason his Midwest League leading 12th win. Then yesterday afternoon he gave up a run to the Chiefs in 5 innings and Dallas Gallant vultured a win after he could not hold the lead in the 7th in what utlimately became a Snapper comeback victory in the 8th. So Jason leads the League with 12 wins against only 4 losses. Three of those 4 came in June when he struggled giving up 7 runs in two of the games, but July has been a whole different narrative for my fav Snapper Lefty. 5 Starts, 4 Wins, 0 losses, 7 runs all of them earned, 26 hits in 31 innings, 22 strike outs and 12 walks. Not a shabby month for the big guy. One more month of Ball in the Beloit regular season and then the playoffs...will he be on the mound for game 1? At this point I hope so.

After his start on SAT, Wheeler leads the MWL in Ws (12), tied for first in starts (22), is 5th in IP (126.2), 7th in Ks (96), 14th in ERA (3.34)
    Take away his 6 June starts (6.28era in 28.2IP) & his 16 starts include a 2.48ERA

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BUZZZZZZ...that is what Mr. Wheeler is generating. Ok maybe it is more buzz, then BUZZZZZ. But still.

Another game and another strong outing for the Big guy. I could go on about it, but I will let the much more skilled wordsmith and noted observer of all things Twins Minor Leagues, Mr. Seth Stohs speak to it. (Besides copy and paste is easier then typing.)

Seth and a gaggle of bloggers, would that be a bloggle?, have been in Beloit the last few days. Here is Mr. Stohs observation on Jason last night.

"And then it was time to start the game. When you see my July Twins minor league pitchers of the month, you will certainly see Jason Wheeler. The lefty from Loyola Marymount went 4-0 with a 2.03 ERA in five starts. His first August start technically started out shaky as he gave up two runs on three hits in the first inning. However, box scores alone don’t tell you that two of the singles rolled through the right-side of the infield and the other was a well-placed bunt single. After that inning, Wheeler was great. He went a total of eight innings and gave up only those two runs. He gave up a total of six hits and one or two of the other three were of the bloop variety.

Wheeler gets the loss in the 2-1 defeat at the hands of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, but he was very impressive. Again, at 6-8, Wheeler stands out. He does not throw hard, likely topping out at 90 at this time. But he has terrific control of his fastball, a very good curveball, and a changeup, and an occasional slider. In this contest, he struck out ten batters. In general, he kept the opposing hitters completely off balance."

Not gushing praise, but I do believe realistic and astute observations from a person used to seeing such things. greengoblinrulz did a nice job highlighting some stats so my job is done here. Thanks guys!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jason Wheeler was named Seth Stohs Minor League Starting Pitcher of the Month for July. Well deserved and enjoy the banquet at the Beloit Taco Johns just down the street from Memorial High School.(Once again that pesky Twins Daily budget rears its ugly head and puts the screws to the planned Banquet at Culvers. Lucky to avoid Kwik Trip I guess.)

Jason is going again tonight and so far so good. 5 innings pitched and 1 run on 6 hits with 2 walks and 2 strike outs. he had some D behind him tonight it looks like with a couple DP's pulled. Snappers lead 7 to 1 and if the bullpen hold this would be win number 13 for Jason. Excellent work again Mr. Wheeler!

I am checking out for a week while Mr. Wheeler will get a couple of starts I am sure before then and who knows maybe a promo to Fort Meyers, but considering how long he has been toiling in Southern Wisconsin, just let him stay and pitch in the Playoffs at this point please.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Back in the Saddle again. After a rough outing last week Jason Wheeler returned to form with 8 excellent innings of no run baseball in Quad Cities. In the strong 8 he gave up 6 hits, walked 1 and struck out 3. I am starting to think of him as the Twins Minor League Pitcher of the Year here after racking up win number 14. It has been a pleasure to have him in Beloit all year and to follow his success. As we start aiming for the playoffs in Southern Wisconsin I am perplexed and a bit ashamed of the attendance down here. This is the best Snappers squad I have seen in the years we have been down here and the locals just do not show up. What more can you ask for then a winning team with a uber prospect that hits massive home runs surrounded by a fine cast of hitters and a strong pitching staff. Just awful. Why would a major league team want to come down here? Very Sad.

Greatwork by Jason though who has a 3.34 ERA, 155 hits, 104 K's and 40 BB in 145 innings, given up only 10 homers, and has a 1.35 GO/AO rate.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also you can follow Jason on Twitter at @Lil_Wheels. Jump on now he only has 88 followers. Help him break 100 before the end of the season.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Update on Twitter from Jason Wheeler...If I get to 100 followers by the end of the regular season, I'll give away my home Snappers jersey in a picture contest TBD.

Get Jason his 100 and get a shot at a Game used jersey...one size fits all. (Of course he is 6'8" and 250 so fit is a relative term.)

Yesterday, not a great day for either Jason or the Snappers. He did get 7 k's in 6 innings. Jason has one more start on tap before the Playoffs probably. If you get a chance come on down for one more night or day at Pohlmann Field for Labor Day weekend. Sano, Rosario, Vargas and Wheeler. Go Snappers.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am doing some catch up here on Jason's end of season. The Snappers made the post Season squaring off against Clinton in the opening 3 game series. Jason was handed the ball in game one after ending the Season with 14 wins. It was not one of his best starts but the Snappers were still in the game after he left down by 2. But his line score was not something to write home about. 4.2 innings pitched, 10 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned, 2 walks, 4 K's, and a wild pitch. Not exactly a shut down game one starter there. But Clinton was the hottest team in the league coming into the playoffs and their offense was a pretty good one. Jason gave up 2 Homers in the game after only giving up 12 in 27 starts this year and both came to the Clinton leadoff hitter who had only 7 this year. Baseball is a funny game sometimes. I will do a more substantial recap next week. Thanks to the Snappers for a great, maybe final Twins, season in Beloit!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Life intervened again for the Jason Wheeler recap. So I apologize.

However I can recap where he is falling on Top prospect lists.

Shane wahl- Number 27
    Seth Stohs- No Big Jason Love in his top 30. (Levi Micheal?? Guess you have to slip a number one draft choice in there somewhere.) Seth had him at 39 in his prelim top 50 before the Twins stocked up on arms. My Guess is he dropped a bit after that.

John Sickels gave him a One to watch shout out along with about 20 other prospects earlier too.

So far that is all I have found. As Spring training starts I will update more.

Have a great Twinsfest for those going!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jason comes in at # 34 with a bullet on the Great Gleeman's Top 40 prospect list. Gleeman heaps praise upon the large lefty with choice stats like "Wheeler's nice-looking ERA and win-loss record overstate how well he pitched for Beloit, as he got a ton of run support from a stacked, Miguel Sano-led lineup and managed just 115 strikeouts in 157 innings. " and "Physically he's among the largest pitchers in baseball, minors or majors, but Wheeler works in the high-80s and low-90s with his fastball." Gleeman also called out Jason's propensity for keeping baseballs in the yard, but in the same sentence pointed out that he tends not produce as many ground balls a you would like for a guy with a sinking fastball, teams hit .281 against him, and had less then stellar control. Don't you hate it when stats get in the way of celebrating a players accomplishments, but since Jason is MY adopt a prospet from 2012 I will be the half full person here and look for the silver lining. Aaron did finish up by saying that "If the Twins' coaches can somehow figure out how to turn his massive frame into added velocity at age 22 he could be a breakout candidate," and will leave his last sentence off this blog as this baseball "genius", slipping into Sid here, seems to have a fixation on the negative and since Mr. Wheeler once pitched for a Northwoods team and lived in Minnesota for a few months I can confer one of us status on him with all the self protection rights granted under the Hartman rules . Not once did Mr. Gleeman mention what a nice guy Jason is, you call that journalism with all your facts and stats clouding our minds. If you are interested in his last thoughts on this fine young man you may go to aarongleeman.com to read it.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Game one of the Season for Big Jason tonight. He takes the ball for the Miracle against a Top 20 prospect in the Pirates system. Here is the linep behind Wheeler,
    1. Morales-CF 2. Rosario-2B 3. Sano-3B 4. Gonzales-1B 5. Vargas-DH 6. Ray-RF 7. Goncalves-LF 8. Knudson-C 9. Pettersen-SS

Sounds like some runs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12