Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Get to Know: James Beresford

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Get to Know: James Beresford

Great piece, Seth. He's undoubtedly my favorite player in this organization.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
    I really like Beresford as well. He is plucky, a tough out and from what I can tell highly competitive. I really think he can be a solid player for the Twins. The problem is he doesn't have a ton of power and isn't a terribly fast runner. So I think his potential versus the potential of other players isn't going to be as high. Utility is probably his best bet for any team he might play for unless he develops more power.

Thing is he is one of those players I would not bet against. He seems to always do better than people expect. I hope he turns out to be a great second baseman.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good Stuff. He is a classy player whose head and heart are in the right places, even though he might never be a star. I can see him have a Jamey Carroll type of career. Good luck to him.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Frankly, is Beresford really considered to be a future big league player? I doubt it.
    Based on this quote I would say the Twins seem to think so. “Just the things the Twins said to me. Pretty candid things. The positive things they had to say. The opportunities they said they were going to give me. And, I definitely saw a chance to get up to the big leagues this year provided I play well."

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I can see him have a Jamey Carroll type of career. Good luck to him.
    Carroll is just who I thought of while reading this article. Beresford appears to be the player that will do what he is asked and do it well with peak effort.

X-Factor Eckstein is another player who comes to mind. He also broke into the league at 25.

There is INF opportunity on this club, and it's pretty reasonable to say that Beresford could be the one to reach out and take it.

I like these players, but ....

Sano - Out for the year
    Plouffe - Glove?, One-month wonder?
    Florimon - Appendectomy recovery, offense?, consistency?
    Escobar - ?? ... May just need more opportunity
    Bernier - Old, AAA filler?
    Bartlett - Old, Done?
    Rosario - Suspended
    Santana - Glove? ... Hasn't played AAA
    Romero - ?? ... Another guy with a possible opportunity

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beresford isn't the little guy I thought he would be. He has fairly good size and when I was watching, he hit a couple of BP homers. I saw him play an intra-squad minor league game and he showed a really good glove and very good range. If he can demonstrate a little sock, he could have a major league future.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Beresford isn't the little guy I thought he would be. He has fairly good size and when I was watching, he hit a couple of BP homers. I saw him play an intra-squad minor league game and he9showed a really good glove and very good range. If he can demonstrate a little sock, he could have a major league future.
    Yeah, he's worked really hard in his offseasons to add some size and be able to retain it. He's got good height. He's never going to be a power hitter, but he can hit.