Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Game Thread: Pirates @ Twins 3-12-14

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries

Game Thread: Pirates @ Twins 3-12-14

It's late but up... These game threads are gonna be hit and miss during the pre-season.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    These game threads are gonna be hit and miss during the pre-season

So are the games.

Thanks, RB.

3. These 3 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (03-12-2014), snepp (03-12-2014), USAFChief (03-12-2014)

Ugh.

Gettin' ugly with 2 outs in the 3rd.

Pit 4-1.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Signs of life from Hicks, at least.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know we say spring training stats dont really matter, but Vance Worley isn't doing so hot.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I know we say spring training stats dont really matter, but Vance Worley isn't doing so hot.
    Land Diamond hasn't set the world aflame, either. Deduno and Gibson may be the last men standing.

Colabello HR.

I can't help it, I really want him to make the team.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Colabello HR.

I can't help it, I really want him to make the team.
    He has definitely been solid with the bat. 5 walks compared to 3 Ks as well.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Collabello is just such a great human interest story -- both for what happened last year and for turning down more money in Asia to pursue his mlb dream.

It's still awhile before final roster spots are awarded for the start of the season but so far I haven't seen a reason that he shouldn't be on the 25-man.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    It's still awhile before final roster spots are awarded for the start of the season but so far I haven't seen a reason that he shouldn't be on the 25-man.
    I'd go one further and say that I've seen positive reasons he should be on the 25-man. Primarily, he's making good contact, and I don't want Kubel or Bartlett going north in their current states. At this point, I think Colabello>Ramierez, and this team needs a RH bat to go with all the lefties.
    A lot of posters want younger players getting most of the playing time in starting jobs, and I agree. In that case, I see no better role for a guy like Colabello than to be RH bench power.

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
    I was kinda hoping Worley would make the roster....I am not sure that is going to happen any more.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDean View Post
    I'd go one further and say that I've seen positive reasons he should be on the 25-man. Primarily, he's making good contact, and I don't want Kubel or Bartlett going north in their current states. At this point, I think Colabello>Ramierez, and this team needs a RH bat to go with all the lefties.
    A lot of posters want younger players getting most of the playing time in starting jobs, and I agree. In that case, I see no better role for a guy like Colabello than to be RH bench power.
    At this point I would not be very happy if Kubel and/or Bartlett made the team over Colabello. There is still a couple weeks left though.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I think we have to keep Colabello if Willingham doesn't start hitting. Colabello is definitely making his case. Yesterday, his day off, but there he was, wandering around the minor league fields.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would enjoy Kubel finding his form and former stroke and actually providing a power and RBI option in the lineup. The HR today is nice. But thus far, he's looked pretty bad while Parmelee and Colabello have looked much better. We have a ways to go for sure, but despite being a fan of Kubel over the years, I don't want to see him make the roster simply based on past production with the Twins.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's official. Twins not very good again this year. How are they going to score runs? And, I know it's old, and a crappy situation for us baseball fans, but Gardenhire is not the guy to breathe life into that clubhouse.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    How long do they keep up the Bartlett experiment? 0-19? Has he looked as bad at the plate as those numbers suggest?
    I have been hoping that Gibson wins the 5th starter battle, but I really expected Worley to be the front runner and have a spot in the bullpen all but guaranteed if he didn't make the rotation. At this rate though Worley is playing his way to DFA-land.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    It's official. Twins not very good again this year. How are they going to score runs? And, I know it's old, and a crappy situation for us baseball fans, but Gardenhire is not the guy to breathe life into that clubhouse.
    Lets overreact to a spring training game. First of all, the pitching was the letdown in this game. And I'm not even going to touch on the Gardy comment.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you watched them play? Have you read Reusse's last column? Tell me, what are you seeing in Florida right now, wearing a Twins uniform, that you are excited about? I want to be excited. I'm listening.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Blog Entries
    Have you watched them play? Have you read Reusse's last column? Tell me, what are you seeing in Florida right now, wearing a Twins uniform, that you are excited about? I want to be excited. I'm listening.
    I love baseball and I love the Twins. I'm excited to see some baseball. Don't take the fun out of the game.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 382 Times in 145 Posts
    Have you watched them play? Have you read Reusse's last column?
    I like Reusse and he has forgotten more than I will ever know about baseball, and I do think he has valid points and I am wishing they would have done more about the line-up. However, while he has never exactly been Pollyanna, when I listen to him now, I really get the impression I am listening to someone who is just waiting to retire and is not really into whatever he is covering. I think it is even more apparent now that they have split him and Mackay up. I think he is a little more doom and gloom because he really doesn't care anymore. I know is down in Fort Meyers right now, but in general, I am not sure how deep he digs in anymore. At 67 I don't blame him, and he can still be entertaining and write a decent article, but I do think he is coasting a bit at this point.