Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supernatural and Beyond

The logical answer is that the hired hand wanted to sneak a quick peak and then went down stairs. You say that she looked to see anyone there, without knowing the specifics of how far the door opened, if it was possible for someone to hide behind the door in some way when she was looking etc. it's hard to judge the validity of such a thing. Just judging from what you've said, that sounds completely possible for a human being to recreate that incident. I think even atheists can fall victim to those circumstances where things can feel very real to them.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson View Post
    The logical answer is that the hired hand wanted to sneak a quick peak and then went down stairs. You say that she looked to see anyone there, without knowing the specifics of how far the door opened, if it was possible for someone to hide behind the door in some way when she was looking etc. it's hard to judge the validity of such a thing. Just judging from what you've said, that sounds completely possible for a human being to recreate that incident. I think even atheists can fall victim to those circumstances where things can feel very real to them.
    No, without belaboring the house schematics that would not have been possible. There may be some kind of explanation (more likely she thought she heard what she did and a cat opened the door) but it's hard to believe that given how much it shook her. Hell, she still refuses to be there alone.

Of my immediate family of six, all but two of us had some kind of experience. Beyond that my wife stayed there alone one night (before any knowledge of supernatural experiences with the fam) and was woken in the middle of the night by the TV coming on and then the VCR and then a tape being sucked in. By the time the FBI warning flashed she was in hysterics with me on the phone.

Still hard for me to swallow all of the things I've heard given no experiences growing up there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    No, without belaboring the house schematics that would not have been possible. There may be some kind of explanation (more likely she thought she heard what she did and a cat opened the door) but it's hard to believe that given how much it shook her. Hell, she still refuses to be there alone.

Of my immediate family of six, all but two of us had some kind of experience. Beyond that my wife stayed there alone one night (before any knowledge of supernatural experiences with the fam) and was woken in the middle of the night by the TV coming on and then the VCR and then a tape being sucked in. By the time the FBI warning flashed she was in hysterics with me on the phone.

Still hard for me to swallow all of the things I've heard given no experiences growing up there.
    I hear ya, and I don't mean to call your family members liars or anything it could have in the very least felt very real to them. Our subjective experiences are truly everything to us. The issue is just that this information isn't falsifiable since we don't have any evidence of this outside of the testimony of a few people. It also tends to violate Occam's Razor so there's naturally going to be a lot of skepticism. Carl Sagan would say that the more grand a claim was, the better the evidence needed to be to satisfy that claim.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson View Post
    I hear ya, and I don't mean to call your family members liars or anything it could have in the very least felt very real to them. Our subjective experiences are truly everything to us. The issue is just that this information isn't falsifiable since we don't have any evidence of this outside of the testimony of a few people. It also tends to violate Occam's Razor so there's naturally going to be a lot of skepticism. Carl Sagan would say that the more grand a claim was, the better the evidence needed to be to satisfy that claim.
    Totally understandable, but many things felt aren't falsifiable. That standard would render almost any expression or experience of emotion dubious.

Bit too skeptical for my liking, even as a practicing skeptic. The problem with most any supernatural question is evidence, but that has never made much sense to me either. Why would we expect evidence in this world for something that definitionaly is not part of this world? I think we try to drag a metaphysical quandary into the physical world and it just doesn't fit.

Though, I suppose doing that does give us hours of entertainment watching clowns on TV act like they discovered the meaning of life for seeing an orb on their camera.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12