Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman: The Twins made a 3-year offer to Ervin Santana

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

Heyman: The Twins made a 3-year offer to Ervin Santana

Story here

Sounds like this happened the last couple days, but looks like unless he gets what he wants, he would prefer a one-year deal with either the Orioles or the Jays.

Whole 3 year offer. And I am not sure what message this gives to guys like Kyle Gibson and Alex Meyer and Trevor May et. al...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the message is goodbye to Corriea not to the young pitchers and we will also have another pitcher who we can trade later. And I think the offer is probably closer to 3 / 33-36 so that will not hurt the budget if he bites.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    why would the Twins make Santana a 3yr offer? not sure I would do it unless they would sign either Drew or Morales. not worth giving up a 2nd round pick unless the offense also improves.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Maybe it's something to do with being "on a good-hitting club"? Or, is it "make him an offer he can refuse"?

5. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-09-2014)

Well Meyer and Buxton were sent down today. And dont worry Santana is greedy and will turn it down

Would be very surprising if he took the deal. Isn't this what a lot of people expected from TR, though? Wait until the demands of guys like Jimenez and Santana dropped, then make a reasonable offer. Maybe Ryan thought it was a good time to pounce, considering that Ervin just fired his agent a few days ago.

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    This makes me think that there may be more pressure on the Twins organization to win this year (improve significantly) than I may have thought originally. But since the details of the Twins' offer don't appear to be available, it's kind of hard to judge.

Given the mess the Santana team made of this off-season, I see him trying to salvage with a one-year deal -- taking a chance on himself.

9. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In 2 years you have a rotation that could look like this
    1. Meyer
    2. Santana
    3. Nolasco
    4. Berrios
    5. Hughes/May

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    This makes me think that there may be more pressure on the Twins organization to win this year (improve significantly) than I may have thought originally. But since the details of the Twins' offer don't appear to be available, it's kind of hard to judge.

Given the mess the Santana team made of this off-season, I see him trying to salvage with a one-year deal -- taking a chance on himself.
    Interesting to note that Santana is also reportedly holding out for a 4-year deal instead of 3. This would extend him out to age 34 at the end of the contract. Certainly, if the Twins are serious here, there's room for negotiating around that 4th year. And if the deal were done, it sure makes a lot of sense to move Corriea now and take a shot at signing both Drew and Morales. The season expectations for both this year and next, would turn around on a dime.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    1. Meyer
    2. Santana
    3. Nolasco
    4. Berrios
    5. Hughes/May
    Or this:

1. Nolasco
    2. Hughes
    3. Pelfrey
    4. Correia
    5. Santana

Liked 723 Times in 384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me that we should be pleased that the Twins made this effort. It sounds like they are still trying to upgrade for this year, and willing to spend some money to do this.

14. These 5 users like glunn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (03-09-2014), howieramone (03-09-2014), Oxtung (03-09-2014), PseudoSABR (03-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Or this:

1. Nolasco
    2. Hughes
    3. Pelfrey
    4. Correia
    5. Santana
    You mean for this year?

You really don't think that Correia or Pelfrey will be here on April 1, 2016, do you?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    It seems to me that we should be pleased that the Twins made this effort. It sounds like they are still trying to upgrade for this year, and willing to spend some money to do this.
    If this is a serious offer, I'm very pleased. It does beg a few questions:

Can a deal of this magnitude be pulled off without TR at 100%?

Would they immediately trade Correia and (at least) some of the out-of-options guys?

Would they then go all-in and get Drew and/or Morales?

And speaking of all-in, would this precipitate they stop messing around and install Hicks, Arcia, Gibson and Pinto on the 25-man roster in April?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    I hope that he's looking for a one-year deal, and I really hope (after Medlen's injury today) that he is excited about a one-year deal for an NL team to build his value back up.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    You mean for this year?

You really don't think that Correia or Pelfrey will be here on April 1, 2016, do you?
    Not April 1, 2016, but maybe September 30, 2015.

I'm just having a little trouble figuring out what our plan is. I'd sign a hitter, if anything. Even Drew.

Three years -- if this report has truth -- three years to another free agent pitcher right now literally leaves zero open rotation spots for guys to compete for, and one spot to compete for next year.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    1. Meyer
    2. Santana
    3. Nolasco
    4. Berrios
    5. Hughes/May
    Not sure Berrios will be ready by then. But it is intriguing.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    You are right. I think the bottom line is that they still want to improve.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    I'm no Drew fan, but if you're going to hand out a contract like this and give up a pick....then I'd be willing to sign on for him. I don't think adding more pitching right now helps this team.

It's also a lot of guaranteed roster spots being given for the next few years when there are (hopefully) pitching prospects on the way. You can't always plan on trading these guys either because injuries/poor performances/lack of need can squeeze the market and you're stuck with the money and the guy when you have better alternatives.

I'm kind of glad this wasn't a good fit.

22. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Not April 1, 2016, but maybe September 30, 2015.

I'm just having a little trouble figuring out what our plan is. I'd sign a hitter, if anything. Even Drew.

Three years -- if this report has truth -- three years to another free agent pitcher right now literally leaves zero open rotation spots for guys to compete for, and one spot to compete for next year.
    Ideally, the need for another FA SP will diminish greatly if Meyer and Gibson can deliver as promised. A rotation with those 2 plus Santana, Nolasco and Hughes at some point next year, with Correia traded this year and Pelfrey moved in ST 2015.... or shortly thereafter.....looks, potentially, like a very significant upgrade to the last 3+ years. It's hard to imagine that Correia will be around longer than until July of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Ideally, the need for another FA SP will diminish greatly if Meyer and Gibson can deliver as promised. A rotation with those 2 plus Santana, Nolasco and Hughes at some point next year, with Correia traded this year and Pelfrey moved in ST 2015.... or shortly thereafter.....looks, potentially, like a very significant upgrade to the last 3+ years. It's hard to imagine that Correia will be around longer than until July of this year.
    But I'm happy with the rotation as it stands now!1

1. With the caveat that either Correia or Pelfrey does pitch well to start the season, and that one of Gibson, Worley, or Diamond does actually earn the final spot. (Deduno and Swarzak being apparently headed for the pen regardless of their performance.)

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast