Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heyman: The Twins made a 3-year offer to Ervin Santana

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 673 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The very worst case is that a (25-man, 40-man) roster problem, if any, is solvable with money. The Twins have this luxury for the coming several seasons.
    Possibly, but we have seen roster moves by this team in the past that overlook youth for veterans. So I'm not as confident.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 868 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Sort of a non sequitur, but does anyone else find it unusual that the Twins are publicizing offers of contracts to free-agents that didn't sign with the Twins?
    Unusual? No.
    Suspicious? Yes.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Jesus, the commitment to Correria and Pelfry is one and two years respectively (at worse they are short-term overpaid bullpen parts, Pelfry in particular might look good there), there's plenty of room for Santana if the Twins' brass feels it's appropriate.

4. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (03-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    At some point adding guaranteed contracts and 40 man spots starts to work against a rebuild too. Had this been Santana over Pelfrey - hell yeah. But what are they going to do? Have Saunders and Santana join and do a 7 man rotation? You reach a threshold at which point "more" no longer helps enough to warrant the commitment. I think, for 2014, we're there for SP.
    I agree that Pelfrey was a bad decision but he is here now and there is nothing to be done about it. So let's look at this another way. Who would you rather have for the next 3 seasons? Deduno/Worley/Diamond or Santana? Keep in mind that Deduno and Santana are the same age. That's a pretty easy question for me to answer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    In 2 years you have a rotation that could look like this
    1. Meyer
    2. Santana
    3. Nolasco
    4. Berrios
    5. Hughes/May

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    and for the record, I love this rotation too.. especially if Gibson is in there..
    Love seems a bit strong. At best that is a league average rotation. Whatever Meyer turns out to be with 4 guys that we hope will be mid-rotation starters. We'd better have one hell of an offense if we're hoping to compete.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,608 Times in 835 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I mentioned Saunders because reports are that the Twins are asking about him too. So it's not like they are just targeting a good SP here, they're still targeting SP in general.

Blackburn is involved because there seems to be a flippant belief that you can just trade anyone you want as soon as they aren't a fit anymore. That's not always the case.
    To be fair, I believe the Twins' interest in Saunders was described as "incredibly mild". From the report it sounded like a phone call, nothing more.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Jesus, the commitment to Correria and Pelfry is one and two years respectively (at worse they are short-term overpaid bullpen parts, Pelfry in particular might look good there), there's plenty of room for Santana if the Twins' brass feels it's appropriate.

Santana, Nolasco, Hughes, Pelfrey and Correia is about the most solid rotation we have had in years. Slot Deduno into the extra starter/5th and 6th inning man and I think we can compete in this division if we get any offense at all.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Sort of a non sequitur, but does anyone else find it unusual that the Twins are publicizing offers of contracts to free-agents that didn't sign with the Twins?
    No, because we don't know if the source of the information is with the Twins. Santana and his agent have the most to gain by publicizing offers, especially in mid-March as desperation sets in to get him on the field.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    "any offense at all" is the problem, I see no improvement from 2013 in that area, none. Perhaps by mid-summer I can put my rose-colored glasses on again but I doubt it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Unusual? No.
    Suspicious? Yes.
    That is a good point. It would seem a PR effort is underway.

I agree with the sentiment that this signing would mean Correa pitches for someone else when the season starts. In which case, I think signing Santana on a reasonable, suppressed deal makes sense.

You also have to wonder what kind of advice his agent is giving him. Taking a one year deal could be very risky for a guy with these up and down numbers:

2005 - 2013:
    4.65, 4.28, 5.76, 3.49, 5.03, 3.92, 3.38, 5.16, 3.24

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    "any offense at all" is the problem, I see no improvement from 2013 in that area, none. Perhaps by mid-summer I can put my rose-colored glasses on again but I doubt it.
    Willingham was hurt for much of last year. Mauer was hurt for six weeks. It is unlikely both will be injured as much this year. Also, Arcia was not with the team for much of the year. Dozier started off very slow and turned a corner in June. That's four reasons for optimism. It's not a lot, but "none" is a bit strong.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

13. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    You know, if the Twins actually WERE guilty of publicizing offers of contracts to free agents that didn't sign with them, how would that make them look? Sleasy and dishonest, right?

What's exasperating about a post like this, kwak, is that it's not factual and it's patently unfair.

To even suspect the team of something like this is cynical.

15. This user likes birdwatcher's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (03-10-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Willingham was hurt for much of last year. Mauer was hurt for six weeks. It is unlikely both will be injured as much this year. Also, Arcia was not with the team for much of the year. Dozier started off very slow and turned a corner in June. That's four reasons for optimism. It's not a lot, but "none" is a bit strong.
    As Levi has pointed out multiple times, the Mauer injury was a non-issue because he was replaced by Pinto, who absolutely raked for those six weeks.

It's unlikely that Pinto will continue that torrid hitting streak in 2014.

But a rebound from Willingham and advancement of Arcia are pretty good bets. Some of that will be offset by the "loss" of Doumit, though... Overall, it's hard to see this offense improve significantly unless we see breakouts from Plouffe, Parmelee, and Hicks.

17. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (03-10-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    You know, if the Twins actually WERE guilty of publicizing offers of contracts to free agents that didn't sign with them, how would that make them look? Sleasy and dishonest, right?

What's exasperating about a post like this, kwak, is that it's not factual and it's patently unfair.

To even suspect the team of something like this is cynical.
    More to the point, we don't know that the information was sourced from the Twins.

In all likelihood, this source stemmed from the Santana camp because they have the motivation to release information about contract offers.

19. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-10-2014), cmathewson (03-10-2014)

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    This is the first time I've seen a number. According to this report, the Twins' offer was about 3 years/$30 million to $33 million.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/s...no-lock-030914

That seems conservative to me. Assuming Santana believes he will be healthy, I don't know why he wouldn't go with one of the 1-year offers.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    This would be a great signing for the Twins, you instantly go from having the worst rotation in baseball to one that could honestly be a top one in a year or so if Meyer reaches his potential.

Sign Santana and Drew and call it an off-season! 85 wins, here we come!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    As Levi has pointed out multiple times, the Mauer injury was a non-issue because he was replaced by Pinto, who absolutely raked for those six weeks.

It's unlikely that Pinto will continue that torrid hitting streak in 2014.

But a rebound from Willingham and advancement of Arcia are pretty good bets. Some of that will be offset by the "loss" of Doumit, though... Overall, it's hard to see this offense improve significantly unless we see breakouts from Plouffe, Parmelee, and Hicks.
    Doumit is no great loss. Odds are pretty good they'll get better production out of those 538 PAs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

That seems conservative to me. Assuming Santana believes he will be healthy, I don't know why he wouldn't go with one of the 1-year offers.
    If you look at his nine year career, he has had an ERA over 5.00 in three years. Two additional years he has had an ERA that in the mid 4's. He has a good shot at hurting his stock after another year. I would back up the truck and take as much cash as I could.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I'd sign them both, if you sign one...sign the other.

If they do sign Santana, we can only hope Gibson looks great, and is turned into a SS or C or something. Would you trade Gibson to Houston for their catcher, for example?

I would do this under the assumption that Meyer will be ready this year, and others in 2-3 years.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    More to the point, we don't know that the information was sourced from the Twins.

In all likelihood, this source stemmed from the Santana camp because they have the motivation to release information about contract offers.
    The Twins have a strict policy to not reveal this information until all is said and done. They have reported that they made offers to people like Garza. But only after he signed elsewhere. As you said, the agent has a vested interest in reporting these things. Some agents manufacture "offers". That is the reason I am skeptical, but this one seems specific enough to be credible.

26. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-10-2014)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast