Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Berardino: Rosario will report late to minor league camp (excused absence)

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts

Berardino: Rosario will report late to minor league camp (excused absence)

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...es-agent-says/

Let's all hope that Eddie gets his life in order and can come back and focus on baseball.

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Not encouraging, to put it mildly.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,931 Times in 1,132 Posts
    yes, I also find this concerning.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guess I would rather have whatever the problem is get addressed now than in a couple of years when he's in the big leagues. Hope the young man is getting things straightened out and can get his career back on track soon. If so, in a couple of years this will just be a distant footnote that nobody will care about.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Apparently "rehab" for MiL BB players doesn't have the cache` as it does for celebrities.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    It's too early to tell if he's going to be one of those guys with an ongoing tendency to self-destruct, but he's waving a big red flag. Makes me glad we have Dozier and Polanco around.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    It's too early to tell if he's going to be one of those guys with an ongoing tendency to self-destruct, but he's waving a big red flag. Makes me glad we have Dozier and Polanco around.
    It it nice to have that depth.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    So he's taking the Josh Hamilton route?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    The Twins said that Polanco will be used as a shortstop going on (and this is great news), so he is not 2B depth unless something happens
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Why the Twins would consider using Polanco at shortstop only escapes me, doesn't that restrict their options in the middle infield severely?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Why the Twins would consider using Polanco at shortstop only escapes me, doesn't that restrict their options in the middle infield severely?
    They already know he can play 2B at a high level, now they are going to try for a home run and see if he can play SS.

12. This user likes howieramone's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The a Twins are wise to play Polanco at SS exclusively. He brings a lot more value if he can play that position. Moving to 2B if it fits the roster best when he hits the majors will not be difficult.

14. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-08-2014)

I think people need to take a big step back in how they talk about Rosario and whatever off-field issues he has. When his drug suspension was reported, it was not reported what the substance was, and with this latest report of his excused absence from camp, there is no real evidence that it's related to his drug suspension.

Berardino's "source with knowledge of the situation"? One source, unnamed, uncorroborated. Not enough.

You can argue that it's more than a coincidence if you want, but that's jumping to a conclusion in a way that respects neither the player's privacy nor his integrity.

16. These 2 users like whosafraidofluigirussolo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (03-08-2014), cmathewson (03-09-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure the issue here. It's an excused absence... at that point, I don't worry about it. He went through proper channels and got permission to report late... for all we know, he has a relative on his/her deathbed. It could be rehab too for all we know, but we don't know.

As for the cocaine accusation, I thought there were plenty of sources indicating this was something he took while rehabbing. This is new, and hopefully the agent is telling the truth here.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I agree with diehard. He and the Twins know what's going on and hopefully he takes care of whatever problem he has. Good luck to him.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The fact that he was suspended might have absolutely nothing to do with this. Let's not jump to conclusions.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."