Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Great Read: Carl Pavano (New Britain Herald)

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts

Great Read: Carl Pavano (New Britain Herald)

http://newbritainherald.com/articles...f742081732.txt

Thanks to Seth (@SethTweets) for retweeting this article by Matt Straub of the New Britain Herald.

One of my favorite parts of the article is the perspective that the following paragraph gives on what all prospects/young players face:

“One of the guys who made a big impact was Al Nipper,” Pavano said of the former Boston Red Sox pitcher and coach. “I learned a tremendous amount from him at 18 or 19 years old, things like reading hitters, how to create work habits. You have to be a sponge, but you have to know not everything is going to work. You can’t let it frustrate you. Things that are going to help you, a new pitch, a new way to set up hitters. There’s so much to baseball besides just knowing hitters. Away from home you’re responsible for yourself. There’s a maturity that goes into it at 18 or 19 years old. The responsibility wasn’t exams, it was if you wanted to succeed in baseball you had to take care of yourself.”

I have a feeling that young players may get more help now making that transition than they did in the mid 90's -- from their teams and their agents -- but it still explains a bit why the Twins talk so much about "makeup" when they talk about players like Buxton and Sano.

It also gives support for a player having to know himself -- and to figure out what works for him. A bit of a balancing act there in terms of trying to learn everything that is thrown at you but knowing that not everything will work for you.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still wish we had a veteran pitcher like Carl to help with the younger guys. My daughter who now watches the Twins games with me, started by always asking if the "Stache" was pitching

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    Still wish we had a veteran pitcher like Carl to help with the younger guys. My daughter who now watches the Twins games with me, started by always asking if the "Stache" was pitching
    I'm hoping that if he can get his own game going, Pelfrey can be that veteran. He seems to want that leadership role ... but it all depends on whether he can come through with the innings and reasonably good starts.