Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Berardino: Johnson's Star is Rising Again

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I guess it depends on your schedule, right? All the comments this year read just like the ones last year "just wait until next year".
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    The 91 Twins made me a baseball lover. The mid 90s tested that and it persists still.

That does not, however, lead me to the notion that Johnson is "crazy depth. It doesn't mKe me slap lipstick on the pig that many of the guys a year ago we were realistically projecting to be full time contributors are likely not to break camp with the team. Or the disappointment in the developments with Rosario and Sano.

Love doesn't entail slapping a blindfold on to ignore the flaws. It's hard as a diehard Twins fan to stare at the pile of dead-end garbage this roster looks to be the first two months and feel excited.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I guess it depends on your schedule, right? All the comments this year read just like the ones last year "just wait until next year".
    IMO knowledge of baseball is a more important variable.

4. This user likes howieramone's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The 91 Twins made me a baseball lover. The mid 90s tested that and it persists still.

That does not, however, lead me to the notion that Johnson is "crazy depth. It doesn't mKe me slap lipstick on the pig that many of the guys a year ago we were realistically projecting to be full time contributors are likely not to break camp with the team. Or the disappointment in the developments with Rosario and Sano.

Love doesn't entail slapping a blindfold on to ignore the flaws. It's hard as a diehard Twins fan to stare at the pile of dead-end garbage this roster looks to be the first two months and feel excited.
    One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    IMO knowledge of baseball is a more important variable.
    No idea what this means. Are you suggesting it takes some kind of knowledge that others don't have to lay out a timeline? Or that as the timeline moves back a year, that it is wrong to question it? Or what?
    Lighten up Francis....

7. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-09-2014), TheLeviathan (03-09-2014)

Unfortunately yes.....ours. I'm sure you will be more than happy to discard these "treasures" with the rest of us when (if) our young talent develops.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    ^^^TheLeviathan - glad to see you put "if" in your statement about development, I think way too many posters assume "when". In other words they are swallowing the Pohlad Kool-Aid just as badly as some of the journalists are and we assuredly know which ones are doing that.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Especially if that other man "treasures" a roster replete with waiver-wire castoffs, career dead-enders, Indy-league refugees and a gaggle of AAAA bodies and "prospects."

11. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-09-2014), h2oface (03-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    No idea what this means. Are you suggesting it takes some kind of knowledge that others don't have to lay out a timeline? Or that as the timeline moves back a year, that it is wrong to question it? Or what?
    I think it means that the "parade" allegedly starting in 2015 wasn't written down in ink. 2016, 2017, 2018.....your job as a fan is not to question those with superior knowledge about parade-scheduling.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let's get back on topic, folks.

This thread isn't about prospects or the front office. This thread is about Kris Johnson.

We'll be handing out infractions and bans if this line of discussion continues.

14. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-09-2014), birdwatcher (03-09-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (03-09-2014), Tibs (03-10-2014)

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of seven legitimate candidates for the fifth and final spot in the Twins' rotation, Johnson also could get a look in the bullpen given his career path. At 29, he doesn't much care what his role is as long as it's in the majors.

"Late 20s, time to start doing something," he said. "Last year was a huge confidence booster for me. It's never been stuff with me. It's always been mind-set."
    Well, this about wraps it up for me. I hope he does well, and maybe that insane ERA he posted last year wasn't an illusion, but a lot of the big stuff flows the wrong way for Kris Johnson:
    - He's 29.
    - His strikeout rate was around 6 last year.

Now he's a lefty. And looking at his hit rate in general, the last year or two is one of the few times it hasn't been insanely high. So maybe there is something goofy that's been going on. But he doesn't strike me as a difference maker.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Well, this about wraps it up for me. I hope he does well, and maybe that insane ERA he posted last year wasn't an illusion, but a lot of the big stuff flows the wrong way for Kris Johnson:
    - He's 29.
    - His strikeout rate was around 6 last year.

Now he's a lefty. And looking at his hit rate in general, the last year or two is one of the few times it hasn't been insanely high. So maybe there is something goofy that's been going on. But he doesn't strike me as a difference maker.
    My best guess is that with Albers gone, he's insurance in case Diamond is waived and claimed. Perhaps cut-rate insurance. Perhaps not. They have a few lefties now.

17. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    My best guess is that with Albers gone, he's insurance in case Diamond is waived and claimed. Perhaps cut-rate insurance. Perhaps not. They have a few lefties now.
    Right, probably behind Gilmartin and Darnell at AAA much less as far as the Twins go this year. John's right, not a difference maker but probably not a bad option to have in your system.

19. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014)

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    The team got rid of Valentine, the source of the dysfunction. I mean a team that manages to lose with a starting rotation of Buchholz, Lester and Doubont is far different than a team with Walters Hendiks Diamond and Deduno
    Kris Johnson, no matter how good the pre-story is, is not my idea of rebuilding. I wish him so very well, and hope that after the Red Sox discarded him, the Pirates tried and gave up, and he became a hope at 29 for the Twins, (not too much different than Walters Hendiks Diamond and Deduno in previous rebuilding years) that the Kris Jonson story goes viral. This is the 4th year of the rebuild, and no prospect is really changing things yet. All still hope (and with Gibson and now Sano, delayed hope). Now I like Kris Johnson and Chris Colabello, I hope they prove all wrong and are the best story of the Major Leagues this year. Fans and posters here will refer to Johnson or Colabello as a "kid", but they are definitely young men hanging on a dream. I think getting rid of Gardenhire, like the Red Sox did Valentine, couldn't have hurt (but I have felt that since 2006). Kris Johnson will have to perform much better than many others to be given that final shot at his age...... 29.
    Last edited by h2oface; 03-09-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Kris Johnson, no matter how good the pre-story is, is not my idea of rebuilding. I wish him so very well, and hope that after the Red Sox discarded him, the Pirates tried and gave up, and he became a hope at 29 for the Twins, (not too much different than Walters Hendiks Diamond and Deduno in previous rebuilding years) that the Kris Jonson story goes viral. This is the 4th year of the rebuild, and no prospect is really changing things yet. All still hope (and with Gibson and now Sano, delayed hope). Now I like Kris Johnson and Chris Colabello, I hope they prove all wrong and are the best story of the Major Leagues this year. Fans and posters here will refer to Johnson or Colabello as a "kid", but they are definitely young men hanging on a dream. I think getting rid of Gardenhire, like the Red Sox did Valentine, couldn't have hurt (but I have felt that since 2006). Kris Johnson will have to perform much better than many others to be given that final shot at his age...... 29.
    Ryan has been back 29 months. At 41 months, the start of the 2015 season, the rebuild will be much clearer. Kris Johnson is just another small piece of the puzzle.

22. This user likes howieramone's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    Ryan has been back 29 months. At 41 months, the start of the 2015 season, the rebuild will be much clearer. Kris Johnson is just another small piece of the puzzle.
    Exactly.

Kris Johnson is not Ryan's idea of rebuilding either. Why is it so unclear that: 1) we're going through an incremental process here of building assets up from very low levels; 2) that it's not going to happen on anybody's "schedule" and will be subject to some fits and starts, such as injuries and other setbacks; 3) that most of this rebuilding absolutely HAS to come from prospects, since we have lacked tradable assets and scouring the FA market has its perils when overdone; and 4) there are other, more reality-based measurements of progress that looking back at a W-L record?

So yeah, the first few months of 2014 will probably consist of some unwatchable baseball. But 2014 wll be better than 2013 just like many of us hoped. And when we express further optimism about 2015, we won't deserve criticism for sounding like a broken record to some of the rest of you.

Regardless of when (or even if IMO) it all comes together, I'm going to treated to the unfolding of this rebuilding process. Remember, just two years ago, the consensus around here was that we had a crappy prospect pipeline. Some of these guys will fail, but many will begin their carreers in earnest some time during 2014.

Only a handful of teams are infusing their MLB roster with this kind of talent over the next 2-3 years. This is going to be fun!

So Kris Johnson, Sean Gilmartin? Meh.

24. These 2 users like birdwatcher's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (03-09-2014), Tibs (03-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    So yeah, the first few months of 2014 will probably consist of some unwatchable baseball. But 2014 wll be better than 2013 just like many of us hoped. And when we express further optimism about 2015, we won't deserve criticism for sounding like a broken record to some of the rest of you.
    But see, you're a reasonable person. You see Johnson for what he is and you can see that the team's timeline has been setback. I, and many others I'm sure, have no problem with optimism. It's optimism with no room for valid criticism that leaves rational discussion behind and turns discussions around.

The team has had setbacks. The roster starting 2014 is not what we optimistically (and realistically) had hoped for a few years ago. Hell, it's not even what most of us were optimistic we'd see right now in the middle of the summer last year. It's discouraging and it's valid to be discouraged.

Now hopefully a guy like Johnson or Gilmartin or Colabello or Parmelee (spelled that sucker right too!) surprises the heck out of us this season and we get some things to hold on to.

26. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014), Dman (03-10-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Right, probably behind Gilmartin and Darnell at AAA much less as far as the Twins go this year. John's right, not a difference maker but probably not a bad option to have in your system.
    I responded to you earilier, but my post got lost in the ozone. Johnson is probably not a bad option to have in the system. But....at what cost? We trade away a veteran starter for a guy soon to turn 30 whose career has been all over the map, literally, when you include going the Indy route, besides. Is this the right move for a rebuilding team, to load up with Colabellos, Thielbars, Hamburgers and Johnsons? Doumit for Gilmartin at least gives you some pedigree, youth and some potential for a decent reward while he's still in his 20s.

If the Twins really wanted to have some insurance LHSP depth, why not go after Andy Oliver? Oliver is the guy the Pirates acquired to replace Johnson. He's only 26, also a LHSP, and also a high draft pick with college pedigree- the Twins should have known all about him since they drafted him out of high school...... the difference being, his minor league career shows much more promise than Johnson's..... and his peak years physically are still ahead of him. Oh, and all he cost the Pirates was a disposable minor leaguer.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-09-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unlike others though, Johnson has the ability to hit 93-94 (Darnell, Raley, Gilmartin top out at 90-91). Obviously Johnson's not going to make the Opening Day roster, but depth is a good thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Unlike others though, Johnson has the ability to hit 93-94 (Darnell, Raley, Gilmartin top out at 90-91). Obviously Johnson's not going to make the Opening Day roster, but depth is a good thin.
    Unfortunately though, that velocity hasn't aided him in missing bats. You're right though, it's not a terrible thing to have a guy like that around. But let's not fool ourselves about what depth he represents - emergencies only.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast