Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Berardino: Johnson's Star is Rising Again

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Ryan has to rebuild more than the Twins. He needs to have winning teams at the minor league as well. If Johnson works out for the major league team, great. If he ends up AAAA filler, that is a good thing, too. Look at the filler that was brought in last couple of years. I hope he is an upgrade from that.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see the consternation with a guy like Johnson. He's not even taking up a 40 man spot. I would assume that the Twins saw something in him they felt they could tweak. I wouldn't expect him to suddenly be an ace, but hard throwing lefties are hard to find, and if the Twins think that they can do something with him in exchange for a year at Rochester, I'm quite fine with that.

Johnson will only be pitching in Minnesota this year for the following reasons:

1) He forces it, and everyone will be happy.
    2) There were A LOT of injuries/ineffectiveness this year.

I'm not sure I'd call this a "crazy depth" situation, but Johnson is still a better starting option than several of the options that got way too much time starting last season. There are several guys on the 40 man who would be promoted ahead of him, and I'd imagine that they'd add Meyer to the 40 man before they add Johnson as well.

Johnson is a low risk guy with a potential reward.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    The depth may be "crazy" but is it even "decent"? I for one certainly do not think so.
    Throughout the entire organization? I've followed the Twins for a long time, and I don't recall them ever having the kind of pitching they have now. We are quite removed from the days of having Dan Serafini, Ryan Mills, or Nick Blackburn as our top pitching prospect.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At minimum, he's a better option than Diamond, who needs to be so fine with his control that he is highly unlikely to have sustained success.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Throughout the entire organization? I've followed the Twins for a long time, and I don't recall them ever having the kind of pitching they have now. We are quite removed from the days of having Dan Serafini, Ryan Mills, or Nick Blackburn as our top pitching prospect.
    To be fair, I reread your quote and I would've never assumed you were referencing prospects as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    To be fair, I reread your quote and I would've never assumed you were referencing prospects as well.
    Well, seeing as we were talking about a prospect, I assumed....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So now the Twins start the year with a whole bunch of mediocre pitchers. Is a .500 season their lofty goal?

Hurraymeh. Wowmeh. Yippeemeh.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    So now the Twins start the year with a whole bunch of mediocre pitchers. Is a .500 season their lofty goal?

Hurraymeh. Wowmeh. Yippeemeh.
    You gotta walk before you can jaywalk.

Well, seeing as we were talking about a prospect, I assumed....
    29 year old journeymen aren't prospects.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    The sooner the Twins stop bothering with zero upside roster fill like Bartlett, Kubel, Diamond, Fryer, and Worley and replace them with guys like Hicks, Gibson, Arcia, Pinto, and Santana, the sooner I believe they are commited to this rebuild. Losing another 90+ games with Kubel and crew makes ZERO sense. They have neglected the major league roster to save money three years in a row, its time to move this thing forward NOW.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I don't see the consternation with a guy like Johnson. He's not even taking up a 40 man spot.
    Actually, Johnson is on the 40-man roster.

Perhaps you are confusing him with Gilmartin?

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Actually, Johnson is on the 40-man roster.

Perhaps you are confusing him with Gilmartin?
    If he's the guy we got from Atlanta, yes!

Sorry Leviathan, my confusion.

If he's the guy we got from Atlanta, yes!

Sorry Leviathan, my confusion.
    No, that's ok. If your point was that we have crazy depth in our farm compared to the last decade you have my complete agreement.

Using Johnson as the springboard was why I think your quote was misleading. Makes much more sense now and is absolutely spot on.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Ryan has to rebuild more than the Twins. He needs to have winning teams at the minor league as well. If Johnson works out for the major league team, great. If he ends up AAAA filler, that is a good thing, too. Look at the filler that was brought in last couple of years. I hope he is an upgrade from that.
    Well last year Rochester, Ft. Myers, and Cedar Rapids made the playoffs. Cedar Rapids and Ft. Myers were also two of the best teams in their leagues. I don't remember how Elizabethton or the GCL teams did though. I would say Mr. Ryan is doing a good job on building winning teams in the minor leagues.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Isn't the proper function of minor league teams producing hopefully good MLB players and not winning necessarily if at all?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's no doubt that development is the primary function of the minor leagues, but I'm really not sure you want to impress upon your developing players that winning isn't as important as building up individual stats is.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Isn't the proper function of minor league teams producing hopefully good MLB players and not winning necessarily if at all?
    Minor league teams change their affiliations periodically to address perceived indifference by their major league counterparts. Do you want to be the GM that gets stuck with the substandard facilities1 that your players will hate at the AAA site in Las Vegas, because every other AAA owner said no thanks to you? We nearly lost Rochester a few seasons ago.

1 Last I heard

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    ...Obviously Johnson's not going to make the Opening Day roster, but depth is a good thin.
    Nice Freudian slip there, Seth.

19. This user likes AM.'s post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (03-11-2014)

If your system is stacked with good prospects, then winning will be a part of the picture, especially at the lower levels.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you have good players you are going to win, so it kind of goes hand in hand.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123