Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this De Aza thing serious?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 371 Times in 231 Posts
    I've never been overly interested in De Aza, but the more I think about it, the more I think it would pay off if the asking price isn't too steep. He's a leadoff hitter and can play CF. That's the kind of guy who has inflated trade value at the deadline, perhaps not as much at the moment. Plenty of teams are willing to give a young or out-of-position guy a shot early in the season, but when the pennant race heats up.....

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    As for Parmelee!!! He's not a concern in RF. He can play the position. He played it above average last year. He struggling to hit in the majors... I get that but he played a damn nice OF last year!

I don't understand why some keep trying to hang him as a defensive question mark. I watched 90 percent of the games last year and not once did Parm disappoint me in the field and I'm a defense guy... I'm typically hard on average defense... Not just below average defense.
    I hope that Parmellee's offense picks up to his AAA type numbers if he isn't learning a new position. I'm less concerned with his ability to hit the cut off and play the bounce off the wall than I am with his range. It was ok, but not great. With Willingham in LF that leaves acres of real estate to cover via CF. I have been one to have doubts about his outfield defense because it's not his natural position as far as I know. I hope he proves me foolish for doubting him.

Like you say , we're inch deep at CF and De Aza would solidify CF with certainty and if Hicks can't figure it out, it'll be ok, if Buxton needs tommy john surgery it'll be ok, if both Hicks and Buxton pan out, you have valuable trade pieces.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat14 View Post
    No thanks. He's 29 and has regressed as his playing time and experience have increased. He struck out 147 times last season. We don't need that kind of man in our lives. We're better off giving Hicks the job and seeing once and for all if he can be counted on. He may not hit DeAza's robust .264. But give Aaron the 602 AB's the White Sux gave DeAza last year, and Hicks won't do any worse.
    Concur.

And De Aza will be 30 in April, BTW.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Pursuing De Aza

The Twins are interested in White Sox outfielder Alejandro De Aza and I think it makes a great deal of sense for them. The organization lacks any immediate help in centerfield and it would be great to grab a player who's had some success starting there. 2013 was a down year for De Aza, and with his stock lower and shrunken role in Chicago (due to Adam Eaton's acquisition), the Twins can get a decent player for cheap.

Logically speaking, a move like this would end both Darin Mastroianni's and Wilkin Ramirez's chances of making the 25 man roster. The outfield depth would theoretically be more balanced between corner guys and centers. Would likely result in a group of De Aza, CF Presley, Parmelee, Arcia, Willingham, (and possibly Kubel).

Sourced from HBT's Bill Baer
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...jandro-de-aza/
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 03-09-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 656 Times in 369 Posts
    Anyone have a clue what the Sox are looking for in return? That sort of makes or breaks this for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Anyone have a clue what the Sox are looking for in return? That sort of makes or breaks this for me.
    I couldn't tell you, but again I can't imagine much. Clearly they think they are okay with the outfield, so possibly some infielders to compliment 1B Jose Abreu or starting pitching. Another reason they are trading him would have to be because they aren't comfortable paying 4.25 million for a bench player. If we could exchange Diamond, Worley, or Deduno that would be great.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 03-09-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,266 Times in 677 Posts
    If the price is right I'm in, what are the Sox looking to fill?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    If the price is right I'm in, what are the Sox looking to fill?
    The Twins have four soft-tossing lefty starters, one of whom is out of options!

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,266 Times in 677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The Twins have four soft-tossing lefty starters, one of whom is out of options!
    Yes, I realize that but your assuming the Sox would take any of them for De Aza. I'd move any of them for him if they would, don't really see it from their perspective though.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 03-10-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Yes, I realize that but your assuming the Sox would take any of them for De Aza. I'd move any of them for him of they would, don't really see it from their perspective though.
    Brian Duensing is the obvious guy to trade.

(I'm so going to miss Duensing when he leaves)

11. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-10-2014), snepp (03-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 130 Times in 81 Posts
    I'm assuming the Sox would be looking for a B or C prospect as part of save face salary dump. A little bit like the Twins did with Hardy. It's not really important who the prospect is but it seems that they have kind of decided that De Aza isn't going to be on the team next season.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get this. How is he better than Presley or Mastroianni? The Twins have three center fielders for two spots on the roster. They have a top prospect who will be waiting for an opportunity within the next year. Why do they need another one?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

14. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (03-11-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I don't get this. How is he better than Presley or Mastroianni? The Twins have three center fielders for two spots on the roster. They have a top prospect who will be waiting for an opportunity within the next year. Why do they need another one?
    Presley is a below replacement level centerfielder and Mastroianni has never had more than 200 PAs in a season. De Aza has had 2 good seasons out of 3 and has looked good this spring if that means anything. Alejandro is also able to OPS above .700. If we can get rid of one of the many excess pitchers currently in the logjam, it makes a lot of sense.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think that De Aza (who has been in decline other than his power numbers) will be any improvement over Hicks at this point on both sides of the ball. Plus he hits left-handed and the Twins are full of LH hitters at this point.

Plus, for principle's sake, you do not trade with the enemy before the season starts. July and August might be a different story, if you are out of it...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 803 Times in 506 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Brian Duensing is the obvious guy to trade.

(I'm so going to miss Duensing when he leaves)
    I thought Duensing was a requirement for any trade to bring in top level talent into this organization...

18. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (03-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Forget the depth or lack there of. De Aza isn't very good.

20. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (03-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 130 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    He's competing against Parmelee, Presley, Mastro, Ramirez, Kubel, etc... He looks pretty good compared to them and even if Hicks or Buxton are in CF this year it would be nice to have a rangy OF'er in LF that can hit some.

The key is not giving up any significant talent and taking him as a salary dump.

22. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

SpiritofVodkaDave (03-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    He's not going to be an all-star but he is a pretty solid major leaguer. I view him as basically a lesser Denard Span (more power, less average, less speed at the plate)

It should be noted, that even with his "down year" last season, De Aza would have had the third highest WAR on the WHOLE team last year.

In 2012 He would have had the 5th highest on the team, in 2011 he would have tied for 2nd.

Again, De Aza isn't some all-star player, but he certainly is a nice player (even if he eventually gets moved to LF) and for a team like the Twins they absolutely positively should be looking to bring in a cheap player like him, assuming you don't have to give up much to get him.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

24. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I don't get this. How is he better than Presley or Mastroianni?
    Because De Aza has proven to be a legit (if not great) starting CF in major league baseball?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

I would love this:
    DH Willingham
    LF Arcia
    CF De Aza
    RF Hicks

27. This user likes Marta Shearing's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (03-11-2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast