Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 142

Thread: Article: Twins Roster Projection 2.0

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I am not a believer in Worley either. He has no velocity, life, or deception.

    I think Deduno and Diamond are miles ahead of him. I would make Deduno the 5th starter until I see something that makes me feel otherwise.
    I'd be fine with Deduno too. Has best stuff of the 3 of them, but walks a lot of guys when he can't control it. Not really the guy you want to bring in from the bullpen either. My only issue there is that the only lefties are out of the pen. Not sure how long they can keep Tonkin down. We have no power arms like him that I know of. 98 mph?

  2. #42
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,679
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Sure, the "options remaining" thing will play a factor. It does in every decision with every team.
    Completely a side point, but MLBTR has a series on who is out of options on each team. They've only done half the major league teams so far, but what jumps out at me so far is the correlation between a team being good and having few players out of minor league options.
    • Is this a simple byproduct of their prospects coming up to the majors and being good right away?
    • In a related way, is this a byproduct of not needing to rush youngsters?
    • Is this a conscious and on-going strategy of the front office to trade away or dump most players who will soon cause them to have to juggle their plans?
    • Is the presence of a lot of these guys just the mark of a team having been in the bottom echelon for a while and their roster of upcoming players isn't settled yet?

    I don't know, but to see the Cardinals (0) and the Tigers (3) with so few makes me look forward to a day when numbers of options isn't an issue for the Twins (8) either.

    (Exceptions like the Indians (2) and the Pirates (10) need to be taken into account in forming a real theory about this. But then I look at the Cubs(11) and say, nope, I don't want lots of guys with no options, no way no how.)

  3. #43
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    286
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    "Couple of thoughts as I leave. I think Diamond over Worley if it's close. We'll see how Worley does today. I think they trust Diamond more. " Todays performance isn't going to help Worley any but it is still early. If Diamond and Worley are even at the end of camp it will be Worley and have nothing to do with trust but everything with giving the guy they traded Revere for another chance.

  4. #44
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,245
    Like
    107
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    I have posted several times that I believe we will see mostly veteran retreads "coming North". The Twins are desperate! The "rushed" baloney has been used repeatedly. The "show me results in AAA" also. As Twinsfan stated, AAA isn't a 'progression" step--it's a regression step. Teams may send a guy to AAA on the way to the majors as a warning--"don't mess-up or you will be back to this dump". When those who "need a lesson" in humility, or have 'messed-up"--back they go to AAA. The Twins are wont to say "further experience is needed"--but it really is a punishment. I think it's used to hide faults--player's and management's.
    As noted through the years Gardenhire has demonstrated his "preference" for veterans--even those of lesser quality. I believe he demanded more veterans on the Active Roster as a condition to re-sign with the Twins. I also think Ryan wants to give Worley every chance to succeed so people won't critcize him for trading a popular, and decent CF for two pitchers who don't belong in the majors.. Thus, I am now convinced that Worley will be the #5 SP (barring injury). Meyer and May will stay buried in the minors as long as possible, because if these two (also) fail the Twins will be buying free-agent pitchers for four more years (expensive!).

  5. #45
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    286
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Taking Hicks north last year was not a mistake in anything but hindsight. He was just as likely to succeed as fail. This should not be used as a reason to stop giving young players a shot. Its like pointing to Nishioka and concluding that Japanese players can't thrive in the majors, thus ignoring Ichiro or Matsui. If they think Santana can do the job then that is who they should go with. I don't believe the future is Florimon but never give up on anyone. I would rather Florimon go to the minors and succeed there and Santana get the chance rather than the other way around. Forimon has done nothing to guarantee a spot and will have missed training time. Of course, ask again in 2 weeks and Florimon and Worley might be doing great. Such is baseball.

  6. #46
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    715
    Like
    82
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I have posted several times that I believe we will see mostly veteran retreads "coming North". The Twins are desperate! The "rushed" baloney has been used repeatedly. The "show me results in AAA" also. As Twinsfan stated, AAA isn't a 'progression" step--it's a regression step. Teams may send a guy to AAA on the way to the majors as a warning--"don't mess-up or you will be back to this dump". When those who "need a lesson" in humility, or have 'messed-up"--back they go to AAA. The Twins are wont to say "further experience is needed"--but it really is a punishment. I think it's used to hide faults--player's and management's.
    As noted through the years Gardenhire has demonstrated his "preference" for veterans--even those of lesser quality. I believe he demanded more veterans on the Active Roster as a condition to re-sign with the Twins. I also think Ryan wants to give Worley every chance to succeed so people won't critcize him for trading a popular, and decent CF for two pitchers who don't belong in the majors.. Thus, I am now convinced that Worley will be the #5 SP (barring injury). Meyer and May will stay buried in the minors as long as possible, because if these two (also) fail the Twins will be buying free-agent pitchers for four more years (expensive!).
    When Sano got hurt, that pushed the parade back to 2016 according to some. If Meyer and May fail we have no option but to buy expensive FA pitchers until 2018. I'm considering petitioning the board to see if I can join the other side.

  7. #47
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Interesting that 2.0 isn't much different than 1.0. I can't say I like it much more.

    1. Fifth starter: Antony didn't seem pleased with Diamond's command or control, which is tough if you're a command and control pitcher. Worley is the second coming of Nick Blackburn. Good guy, but his elbow is not right. Sinkers have a way of shredding elbows. Deduno needs to come back slowly; I don't understand the rush. Put him on the 60-day DL and let him rehab until he's ready. That leaves Gibson, who's the best of the four anyway.

    2. Center field: I just can't see bringing inferior talent north. Hicks is the guy until Buxton. Let Mastro, Wilkin and Press battle for the fourth outfielder job.

    3. Utility player: Esco has played almost exclusively at short this spring. Bartlett has played everywhere, including first base. I think that means they see Bartlett as the heir apparent to Carroll. Esco makes the team if Florimon can't go yet or they decide to take two back-up infielders. Santana is intriguing, but he needs more seasoning.

    4. Catcher: Gardy has basically said they brought Suzuki in to mentor Pinto. He can't do that if Pinto is in AAA. I look for a fairly even split this year, with Suzuki getting more starts early and Pinto getting more starts late. Fryer only makes the team if they decide to take three catchers or in the event of an injury. Hermann is a AAAA player.

    5. Right field/DH: Gardy has been effusive about Parmelee. He might get that third shot. But don't count out Arcia making the team as the left fielder with Willingham sliding into DH. Kubel's bat looks S-L-O-W. He might be D-O-N-E.

    6. Bullpen: Both Antony and Anderson have spoken of Guerrier as a possibility for opening day. That's the only surprise. Otherwise, I don't see a reason to change it from August last year.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  8. #48
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,863
    Like
    182
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    It's certainly not crazy to think that Arcia, Pinto, Hicks & Gibson could continue to develop in AAA for at least a few months.
    I'll still have hockey to watch through the bulk of June right?

  9. #49
    Worley says wind affected his pitches.

    Well, I guess I would buy it...if the guys that came after him had the same issues. Note to self: When I have a bad day at work, don't blame exterior factors, even if the exterior factors did come into play. Just take my lumps and say that I didn't make the necessary adjustments to succeed.

  10. #50
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,419
    Like
    66
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Taking Hicks north last year was not a mistake in anything but hindsight. He was just as likely to succeed as fail. This should not be used as a reason to stop giving young players a shot.
    There were many people that predicted the nightmare that was Hick's 2013 season (well ok...maybe not that bad). There was no hindsight needed. It was pretty obvious that if Hick's couldn't hack it, and there were good reasons to believe he wouldn't be capable, the Twins were in serious trouble. I actually think that is why the Twins went so hard after FA's this offseason. IMO, Suzuki and Pelfrey were brought on as a direct result of the poor planning for the outfield last offseason.

    I do agree with you that Hick's 2013 campaign should not determine the placement of other players, though it should be a warning that ST stats mean little to nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I agree on Pinto for sure. Give this kid 2 pitchers to catch and a spot in the lineup the other two days. He is going to learn by playing up here and interacting with Suzuki. I am on the fence in Gibson, but he is 27 years old. Hicks probably could use a little confidence down in AAA.
    This doesn't change your point at all but Gibson will be 26 this entire season.

  11. #51
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,759
    Like
    882
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    This doesn't change your point at all but Gibson will be 26 this entire season.
    Not when he opens for the World Series!

  12. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Oxtung (03-08-2014), USAFChief (03-07-2014)

  13. #52
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,759
    Like
    882
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    When Sano got hurt, that pushed the parade back to 2016 according to some. If Meyer and May fail we have no option but to buy expensive FA pitchers until 2018. I'm considering petitioning the board to see if I can join the other side.
    Welcome to the dark side....on a provisional basis, of course.

    And look at the bright side of being a dark sider, we might go 4 straight years running all the way to 2018 with bragging rights for the #1 farm system in all of baseball. Yippeee.

  14. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (03-07-2014), Kwak (03-07-2014)

  15. #53

    agree on pinto & hicks, disagree on herrmann

    Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post
    I hate the idea that Pinto won't be coming north with the team. I see zero upside for Fryer/Herrmann and a real need to develop Pinto.

    I agree with the status on the OF. But I'm really hoping Hicks makes the squad and starts in CF. Need his defense, and I think he'll adjust as a hitter, given the time.
    i look for hicks to be a solid major league contributor this year! push for 20 big fly's 280 BA and quality leather in the field

  16. #54
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    I have no idea why Florimon (his bat is weak, Escobar is much better with the bat and pretty close in fielding if not even better. Gotta start a Free Eduardo Escobar movement one of these days) and Fien (he has an option and has been pitching over his head last season) should be givens.

    Also Fryer gives this team zero that Pinto or even Herrmann (who has much more versatility) does not. Fryer's 40-man roster spot should be the first or second (paging Mr Raley) that should open.

    As far as pitching goes, I have this feeling (and maybe because his name has been mentioned in the Philly area, and the Phillies are kinda slated to go with Jeff Manship as their fifth starter - yes THAT Jeff Manship) that Correia (and/or Worley, even though I did not hear anything about him) for that matter will get traded, opening a spot in the rotation for Gibson plus one, which might not be a bad thing.

    Also, Presley is way far removed from being a lock. He is out of options, but the Twins have many options in addition to him...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  17. #55
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,045
    Like
    1,644
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    ^ and I just read that Cole Hamels has said his arm doesn't feel right. Ouch. Again, there might not be a better time to trade Correia than right now.

  18. #56
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    715
    Like
    82
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    ^ and I just read that Cole Hamels has said his arm doesn't feel right. Ouch. Again, there might not be a better time to trade Correia than right now.
    I have no idea if this is the right time, but the point is Correia is very tradable, and the notion that our young starting pitchers are being blocked is silly.

  19. #57
    Senior Member Double-A shs_59's Avatar
    Posts
    199
    Like
    13
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post
    I hate the idea that Pinto won't be coming north with the team. I see zero upside for Fryer/Herrmann and a real need to develop Pinto.

    I agree with the status on the OF. But I'm really hoping Hicks makes the squad and starts in CF. Need his defense, and I think he'll adjust as a hitter, given the time.

    jmlease1

    NO

    and

    NO

    .

    You just contradicted your'self by saying "I see a real need to develop Pinto." In which right before that you stated that You Want Pinto to make the 25 man roster out of spring.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

  20. #58
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    153
    Like
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    jmlease1

    NO

    and

    NO

    .

    You just contradicted your'self by saying "I see a real need to develop Pinto." In which right before that you stated that You Want Pinto to make the 25 man roster out of spring.
    since I also said that I'd want Pinto playing in no less than a 50% split with Suzuki, I don't think I've contradicted myself. I see a need to develop him as a MLB catcher, so sit on him in the minors because Gardy would rather have a second catcher who is more advanced defensively and can't hit his weight.

    And why not Hicks? He's already the best defensive OF with a realistic chance to make the squad (Buxton isn't going to play in MLB this season, period) and this team needs guys in the PF who can cover some ground, especially if Arcia, Willingham, Parmelee, or Kubel spend extensive time out there in the corners.

  21. #59
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    145
    Like
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Mark my words. Colabello is gonna play his way onto the roster!

  22. #60
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,045
    Like
    1,644
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I have no idea if this is the right time, but the point is Correia is very tradable, and the notion that our young starting pitchers are being blocked is silly.
    Hopefully the free agent signings light a fire under those 3 or 4 guys we are all arguing about. I prefer to see Gibson win the last spot, regardless of options. Worley's gonna have to turn the page after today and try again next time out. With Diamond, your guess is as good as mine.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.