Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: What Would It Take To Question Your Own Fandom?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    199
    Like
    11
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    What Would It Take To Question Your Own Fandom?

    After pleasantly perusing the site since its inception, I've noticed a severe souring of the community's collective outlook. I noticed this myself as I watched the latest foray into pitching hell. It's made me wonder; how bad would it have to be for me to stop watching/listening/gamedaying (made up words are fun)? With our diverse group, what say ye?

    For me, I'm too much of a homer. All the "fire this guy"/"drop that guy" talk is completely opposite of my thoughts (perhaps valid commentary, but not my perpective). I'm watching every game I can, right down to where we call up BJ or Tim for a spot start.....it could happen, or maybe we get this thing turned around. The worse we are, the cheaper the tickets, the better the draft picks, right?

    and go.....

  2. #2
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,631
    Like
    924
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Couldn't question my fandom, I love the Twins....Win or Lose.

    Although I don't agree with the negative Nellie/Chicken Little crowd, I don't question their fanhood, they comment because they care, just like everybody who belongs to sites like these.

  3. #3
    For me, as last year's Titanic season scraped past the iceberg and started to list, I would make less of an effort to check the gameday updates during my busy evenings with family and during the inevitable conclusion of Tolbert-Tosoni-Butera-Repko-Hohum I would just check the box scores in the morning paper.

    I'm definately not there this year as the offense has shown at times that they may be able to overcome the starting pitching ineptitudeness (is that a made up word?)

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,172
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    I love the Twins win and lose. Period. I watch every single game ableit 10% canned.

    However, I would like them to win and I cannot stand it when they lose. When there are specific reasons why the lose (IMHO) I open my mouth about it. So when I think that this team needs severe change on the top, I say it because I love them and I want them to win, not because there is a "bandwagon" and I am off it. Nope. I don't get the fans who accept loss after loss after loss and are happy with the people who are ruining their team. I suspect that they are the same funs who go to the ballgames and sit by the concession stands and talk about food and beer instead of watching the game.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,642
    Like
    311
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34
    With every off season hope is renewed and it is a fresh start. Unlike the 2001-2010 off seasons, there did not seem to be a fathomable reason to believe we would have much more than a 70-80 win season coming into this year. One could hope that our offense would improve because of health even with the loss of Cuddyer and Kubel, but the pitching was an open wound that you just had this feeling would fester for a while. By not claiming the Ultimate Baseball Trophy, I can understand the bitterness of an opportunity lost by most passionate Twin's Fans in those 11 seasons, but it is not easy and most times takes a bit of luck. The 2006 season is my lost opportunity season. It is going to take awhile for the Twin's to revamp their pitching and we probably won't see .500 for a bit of time. You have to then disassociate yourself form W's & L's and focus on other achievements like Good Offense, individual successes, and the development of younger prospects turning into very good Major leaguers to bide your time between playoff contending seasons. Hopefully the last 2 and following 2 years can bring some good pitching prospects through the draft who can make a difference sooner than later. Me myself, am a baseball fan first and a Twins fan 2nd and I think I can say, for me at least, that you have to enjoy a bad losing season before you can truly enjoy a winning one.

  6. #6
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,631
    Like
    924
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I. I don't get the fans who accept loss after loss after loss and are happy with the people who are ruining their team. I suspect that they are the same funs who go to the ballgames and sit by the concession stands and talk about food and beer instead of watching the game.
    So essentially you don't understand fans who don't agree with you?

    Fans enjoy the Twins and baseball in a variety of ways, your way doesn't make you more of a fan or a better one. That's how you come across.......just saying.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have listen to just about every game the Twins have played since 1961 so guess I will listen to a few more.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,642
    Like
    311
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    I have listen to just about every game the Twins have played since 1961 so guess I will listen to a few more.
    Awesome! I am sure you have a wealth of knowledge on the subject of Twins History and that could be to the benefit of most of us. I am sure that everyone who has posted to this thread will watch or listen to the game also.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    So essentially you don't understand fans who don't agree with you?

    Fans enjoy the Twins and baseball in a variety of ways, your way doesn't make you more of a fan or a better one. That's how you come across.......just saying.
    What he (^) said.

    Here's hoping for a combination of really good individual performances, a handful of good games and/or a few weeks of success to happen for the good guys to turn it around!!! I would hope the contributors here who are "just calling it like I see it" are as quick to turn (and post) for the Twins, both individually and collectively, as they have been to turn against them... though that's usually not the case.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Posts
    502
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Like
    27
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    There are definitely different types of fans, but that is what makes a site like this great, getting them all together to voice their opinions and have discussions. Like twinsnorth49 says, if you weren't a fan who cares, why would you post here?

    I'm behind this team 100%, 100% of the time. But because of that, I'm certainly going to voice any frustrations I have with them and my displeasure with their losses, but in the same way that I'm going to celebrate their successes and victories.

    Personally, I came into this season with little expectations. I thought the Twins could be decent, maybe even contend in the AL Central if everything went right, but realistically, that just isn't possible. I'd prefer to just enjoy watching the games, and hope they score some runs and make it entertaining, but my fandom doesn't necessarily allow that to happen either. Letting Luke Hughes go irritated me. The ineptitude of the pitching staff irritates me. Not getting a runner in from 3rd with nobody out and your 3-4-5 hitters due up irritates me. But I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" if those things didn't.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

  11. #11
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,766
    Like
    4,851
    Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I watch the games and if I can't watch the games... I'm thinking about what is going on in the game. Each individual player is a story in itself. Different skill sets and different results but each player paid dues in the minors at near slave wages to get here and each player faces competition at the highest level competing against them to produce failure on the field and talent challenging them from below to take their jobs. Tack on to that fans like us who are ready to say that Blackburn Sucks even though Blackburn has accomplished more just to get to the majors then anyone of the people saying Blackburn sucks could dream of accomplishing. For some of these guys... The baseball window is small and closing. I dont begrudge the salary and business side of baseball because of what they go thru in the minors... Baseball is flat out drama.


    Baseball is Reality TV at its best... Forget Survivor, Ice Road Truckers or the real housewives of Wherever. Baseball is reality TV. Unscripted and Beautiful. The Twins are my team and each player plays for me. I was sad to see Hughes DFA'd. Revere sent down to AAA broke my heart. I want this team to perform at the highest level. The only players that bother me are the players who I think don't try as hard as they can. Delmon Young was the only Twin I've given up on. I haven't given up on Velencia yet.

    This is my team. I win with them... I lose with them.

  12. #12
    I can't imagine anything stopping me from being a Twins fan! I try to watch every game, at the game, live on TV or a recording of it. At one of my Fantasy Football drafts, I recorded the Twins game and someone checked their phone and said what the score was and I said I had recorded the game. They asked why I would record the Twins game since they were having a horrible season. Why not?

    There's always a reason to watch in my opinion. I say "any pitch, any player" because any player can make a great play on any pitch and anything can happen in a given baseball game. You could see a no-hitter, a triple-play, someone hit for the cycle or hit 4 home runs, Ben Revere execute a somersault between 2nd & 3rd base, a great defensive play or Mike Redmond hit a triple! Why wouldn't you watch? The last game of last season was one of the best games I've ever seen! A 1-0 game with a Trevor Plouffe walk-off hit to end the season!

    I think the only thing that could make me think hard about being a Twins fan is if the players weren't out there playing hard every game. I can't stand when fans say they are done with this team because they are losing. Why are you a fan if you can't even last through the first 20 games of a 162-game season? They can do whatever they want but to me, if they players haven't given up than why should I?



    GO TWINS!

    Robb
    TwinsTakes.com
    Our Takes, Your Takes, TwinsTakes

  13. #13
    Member Single-A
    Posts
    55
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm voting with my wallet. Off this weekend to see another 2 Class "A" California League games and spend my money there. Won't be travelling to Target Field this year. Won't return until the owners remove the culture of losing that permeates the franchise. I'll drive 4 hours each way, won't pay to park and my ticket will cost $8-$12.

    Won't be buying my 15 year old Twin sons replica Twins jerseys for their BDay this year, even though last years jerseys are too small. You wouldn't believe me if I told you their names, but they rhyme.

  14. #14
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,604
    Like
    3,676
    Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    I question my fandom after every loss..."why do I put myself through this?" And then I'm back watching, or listening, or checking the box score for the next days game.

    I've done that since 1963, when my dad took me to my first game at the Met. I can honestly say I don't think there's been a Twins game since then that I didn't watch, listen to, or check on as soon as possible afterwards (because there was something that prevented me from watching or listening.) I followed religiously through some pretty lean times. Rejoiced over 2 world series wins, literally cried after one world series loss. I found a way to follow them through 11+ years overseas, including in the early 80's when my mother in law (bless her heart) would tape games on cassettes and mail them to me so I could listen to a few. I've sat on my rooftop trying to get better "skip" from an AM station in Lexington Nebraska because the Twins were playing the Royals and those were the days before the internet and cable TV. I've seen the Twins play in over a dozen different stadiums, and will add to that total in Seattle a little over a week from now...meeting my son (who I infected with Twins fanaticsm...sorry son) who will be TDY there (can't wait!).

    The bottom line is, I love baseball, but I particularly love the Twins. I enjoy watching them win more than I enjoy watching them lose, but I'll end up watching tomorrow no matter what happens today. So I reserve the right to batch a little if I think they could be doing things that make winning more likely. To each his own.

    I also want to say that I am grateful to Seth, Nick, John and Parker for putting a site like this together where I can share my fandom with all of you'se guys. and gals.

  15. #15
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,631
    Like
    924
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanLV View Post
    I'm voting with my wallet. Off this weekend to see another 2 Class "A" California League games and spend my money there. Won't be travelling to Target Field this year. Won't return until the owners remove the culture of losing that permeates the franchise. I'll drive 4 hours each way, won't pay to park and my ticket will cost $8-$12.

    Won't be buying my 15 year old Twin sons replica Twins jerseys for their BDay this year, even though last years jerseys are too small. You wouldn't believe me if I told you their names, but they rhyme.

    I applaud your full and utter commitment to non-fandom. To not only disavow the team yourself but to also force your kids to disown them as well, that my friend is full on Chicken and the Pig stuff.

    Just to be clear, Twins Win= good, will cheer or at least politely clap, Twins lose= completely lose the ability to have rational thoughts and descend into bitter, jaded, cynical abyss because Joe Mauer hasn't hit the ball at the right time often enough in the last 19 games and Jim Pohlad refuses to have a public execution outside Target Field involving Terry Ryan, Ron Gardenhire and anyone else who doesn't actually play in the game but is somehow responsible for pitchers who don't know what a strike zone is despite miraculously reaching the major league level.

    But hey, it takes all kinds, who am I to judge (and I'm not), I just like drinking beer while watching grown men play a child's game.......isn't that really what it's about?
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 04-26-2012 at 08:52 PM.

  16. #16
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,766
    Like
    4,851
    Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I question my fandom after every loss..."why do I put myself through this?" And then I'm back watching, or listening, or checking the box score for the next days game.

    I've done that since 1963, when my dad took me to my first game at the Met. I can honestly say I don't think there's been a Twins game since then that I didn't watch, listen to, or check on as soon as possible afterwards (because there was something that prevented me from watching or listening.) I followed religiously through some pretty lean times. Rejoiced over 2 world series wins, literally cried after one world series loss. I found a way to follow them through 11+ years overseas, including in the early 80's when my mother in law (bless her heart) would tape games on cassettes and mail them to me so I could listen to a few. I've sat on my rooftop trying to get better "skip" from an AM station in Lexington Nebraska because the Twins were playing the Royals and those were the days before the internet and cable TV. I've seen the Twins play in over a dozen different stadiums, and will add to that total in Seattle a little over a week from now...meeting my son (who I infected with Twins fanaticsm...sorry son) who will be TDY there (can't wait!).

    The bottom line is, I love baseball, but I particularly love the Twins. I enjoy watching them win more than I enjoy watching them lose, but I'll end up watching tomorrow no matter what happens today. So I reserve the right to batch a little if I think they could be doing things that make winning more likely. To each his own.

    I also want to say that I am grateful to Seth, Nick, John and Parker for putting a site like this together where I can share my fandom with all of you'se guys. and gals.
    Guys like us shouldn't ever be accused of jumping off the bandwagon... We are the bandwagon... Enjoy Seattle... Check out Pike Place before the game. Forget the fish tossing... Just enjoy the food... It's a better value then the Safeco Sushi.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,642
    Like
    311
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34
    Damn, Gee whiz. There has been a lot of heartbreaking posts put on this thread. I am authentically compassionate to all of your plights. Someday the Twins will be good again. Not today, not tomorrow, not even next year... but maybe the next... maybe the one after that. At least our hometown team has won the big one - 2 times!!! Baseball has its ebbs and flows, Baseball can hurt like a lost love interest, Baseball can hurt like a never ending headache, baseball can damn well suck the life out of you. The Twins have been competitive for 11 years. That is awesome right? Right now it is our time to not be very good. We will have our day again. This I promise,

  18. #18
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,604
    Like
    3,676
    Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Guys like us shouldn't ever be accused of jumping off the bandwagon... We are the bandwagon... Enjoy Seattle... Check out Pike Place before the game. Forget the fish tossing... Just enjoy the food... It's a better value then the Safeco Sushi.
    I've actually been to Safeco, just didn't see the Twins there.

    Wasn't all that impressed with the place.

  19. #19
    Member Single-A rogrulz30's Avatar
    Posts
    54
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    58
    I am a fan no matter what, there will always be players, managers, owners, GM's that I really like and don't like. I have an option to write about whatever I want hear and listen to Twins fans takes. It is fun, I love the Twins good or bad, if bad I can try and figure what went wrong and complain about something.

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Posts
    1,742
    Like
    58
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    What would question my fandom????

    A: A wildly attractive woman wearing a White Sox jersey, rubbing on my leg. I'd question my allegiances for some moments... then snap out of it.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.