2B: Dozier
    SS: Florimon
    3B: Plouffe
    LF: Arcia
    CF: Hicks
    RF: Parmelee
    DH: Willingham

Bench: Escobar, Kubel, Suzuki, Presley

I want Hicks to win the CF job. I think the team needs his range and his defensive ability will make it worth it even if he struggles at the plate again. Give him time with Bruno to figure it out. I want Pinto to get the starting catcher job, but really, I just want him to get at least 50% of the starts. I don't see a lot of advantage to him going to AAA and rolling with Suzuki/Herrmann and we need his bat. I want Parmelee to make the team and be a real hitter, but I understand that he might only be a AAAA guy. Still, I'd rather find out definitely one way or another and he could be a decent rotation guy to play OF/1B/DH with Kubel & Willingham. Kubel has the best chance of being a quality bench bat and this team needs one. Presley is probably best as a quality 4th OF who would consistently be a late-game replacement in one of the corner spots for actual defense.

Team definitely needs an upgrade on offense; there's only one elite hitter in the lineup. We have to hope Dozier's second half is the real guy for this year, that Willingham is healthy, Plouffe finally figures out how to have a consistent season, and that Arcia realizes some of that potential to have a respectable offense. That's a lot of ifs. (and as Sam Jackson says, "I don't want to hear about no m-effin' IFS!")

But I do want to see preference given to younger players over older all things being equal.

3. These 4 users like jmlease1's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (03-06-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (03-06-2014), mike wants wins (03-06-2014), SydneyTwinsFan (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wilkin Ramirez is not much of a hitter. And it is feasible that Chris Herrmann could play CF in a pinch. He's pretty athletic. It would be nice for him to get some action either at CF or 3B. A C/4 corners guy is a nice guy to have as the 13th man. That way Pinto can play every day in Rochester until this Suzuki business fizzles out (which it will). The most sense to me is to start Hicks in CF and let Presley be the 4th OF. Presley is a very good 4th OF. Call me weird for being excited about not having Ramirez or the Clete Thomases of the world on the roster there.

Parmelee absolutely has to demonstrate that he can also play LF. That has to be obvious to him, right?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    great post jmlease1.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I pay a little more attention to how hitters look this early in camp than I do the pitchers
    It would be interesting to read a quote about a batter, "right now, he's just looking to crush mediocre fastballs down the middle. In another week, he'll start working on laying off of sliders in the dirt."

7. These 5 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (03-06-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (03-06-2014), Jim Crikket (03-06-2014), mike wants wins (03-06-2014), Sconnie (03-06-2014)

Blog Entries
    Is there any real evidence that Ramirez is a better hitter than Mastro?

Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post
    I really want the position players to read:

C: Pinto
    1B: Mauer
    2B: Dozier
    SS: Florimon
    3B: Plouffe
    LF: Arcia
    CF: Hicks
    RF: Parmelee
    DH: Willingham

Bench: Escobar, Kubel, Suzuki, Presley
    I am not sure about Kubel but I would bet you get your wish on the other 12. Losing Sano for the season and the Rosario suspension nullified a big part of the improvement I was hoping to see this year. It was really hoping to see Willingham traded and Sano promoted by mid-season. Plouffe becomes a utility player and we make a decision on Parmelle / Presley by mid-season with Rosario taking one of those roster spots assuming he had performed in AAA.
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 03-06-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    My god, I may need to change my over to an under on that 70 wins. This is one god-awful group. Especially without Arcia.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Yeah, no kidding. The pitching will be much improved, but the offense will be worse than last year with Morneau gone. Dammit, Sano, why didn't you get TJ surgery done in the off-season??

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Aside from production and Parmelee's lack of options, the Twins also have a $2 million incentive to send Kubel to Rochester. Kubel has to clearly be the better option, and so far that's not looking accurate.

Parmelee, Arcia and Willingham will rotate the LF/RF/DH situation for the first month at which point Willngham basically becomes the default DH.

Blog Entries
    Why Willingham wasn't traded at the deadline is still beyond my comprehension.

14. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    It would be interesting to read a quote about a batter, "right now, he's just looking to crush mediocre fastballs down the middle. In another week, he'll start working on laying off of sliders in the dirt."
    Good point. Hitters certainly can tell when pitchers are working on specific pitches and they can sit on that pitch, so you have to be careful about putting too much stock in early ST hitting prowess. I guess I just take some comfort in seeing certain guys can catch up to a 94 mph fastball, even if they do know it's coming.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

16. This user likes Jim Crikket's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Aside from production and Parmelee's lack of options, the Twins also have a $2 million incentive to send Kubel to Rochester. Kubel has to clearly be the better option, and so far that's not looking accurate.

Parmelee, Arcia and Willingham will rotate the LF/RF/DH situation for the first month at which point Willngham basically becomes the default DH.
    I don't recall, does Kubel have a contractual right to opt for a release from the Twins if he's not on the MLB roster out of camp? If so, that could affect their decision with him as much as the $2 million roster bonus would.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

I don't like what I see in Kubel thus far and would like to get parmelee another shot. Arcia has nothing more to prove in AAA and would hurt his development to send him there. An interesting question would be if florimon is not ready for opening day.

This should be the Twins every day line-up. This would be achange in philosophy for the Twins so it will never happen. But what has theold philophesy done for them.

CF – Presley ( Not because I think he is good player. But tobe honest I don’t care if we destroy his confidence or not he is merely a placeholder until Buxton gets here.)
    2B – Dozier
    1b – Mauer
    DH – Willingham (the Twins pitching staff is not good enoughto allow a terrible defensive player to play every day So either playWillingham or Arcia but both can’t play in the outfield. I’ll choose theyounger legs and better back.)
    3B – Plouffe (Sink or swim time.)
    RF – Arcia (Ideally I would like to bat him lower in theorder unfortunately, to many other guys in this line up that need to bat lower.)
    C – Pinto (Probably more of a 60-40 split with Suzuki. I would like to seehim learning with the big league staff rather than AAA.)
    LF – Hicks (His future with the Twins is Left Field.)
    SS – Florimon (If he is injured I would rather see Santanathan Bartlett. Bartlett is done.)

The Twins will more than likely play Willingham in Left andDH Kubel. But will those two really score that many more runs than Willinghamand Hicks. Hicks defense will save more runs than Kubel will drive in. PlusHicks not giving away outs like Willingham, will help the starting Pitcherspitch more innings. Which saves the bullpen.
    Backup Cather – Suzuki
    Back up Inf. – Escobar
    Back up OF. – Mastronni (I would split time in CF withMastronni and Presley neither player is good enough to play every day.)

To me the roster battle is for the 13th spot. Iwould like to see Ramirez ( I like his bat off the bench) but I don’t think the13th player would be a 5th outfielder. Colabello, is hereally a major leaguer? Parmallee, haven’t we seen enough. That brings me toKubel if there is 13th spot I’m sure the Twins will pick Kubel andthere is something to be said for having a veteran bat off the bench. I likeRomero he gives a little flexibility with 3B, 1B and outfield. I would give himsome time at 3B keep the pressure on Plouffe.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I too would prefer Hicks be in LF this year.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I don't recall, does Kubel have a contractual right to opt for a release from the Twins if he's not on the MLB roster out of camp? If so, that could affect their decision with him as much as the $2 million roster bonus would.
    I've never read about any opt out, in fact I would guess there is none since he has incentives for being on the MLB roster for 30, 60 and 90 days. Those incentives would seem pointless if he could opt out right away.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I too would prefer Hicks be in LF this year.
    Left or Right, he has a good arm, and it would allow Pressly/Mastro in CF to shift either direction. right may also be good for Hicks to relax a bit on fielding and work extra with Bruno in the batting cages. Plus it would put Hicks in his future role, giving him some extra adjustment time.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    What jmlease1 said.

I know you are there on the ground John, and so may have more insight than those of us thousands of miles away, but honestly taking Fryer, Mastro and Bartlett north instead of Pinto, Hicks and Arcia would be raising the white flag before a single pitch is thrown.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    I'm just curious - why Hicks in left and not right? From what I've read, his arm is better than Arcia's. That may not be true; it's just the impression I have going back even to when he was drafted. I haven't been to Target Field; does LF play a lot bigger than RF, so that range is a big factor?

In any case, count me in the group who is really pulling for Hicks this year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast