Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mason: Exclusive Q&A with Rob Antony

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 868 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    So you would have had the Twins draft Wacha rather than Buxton?
    The Angels were so sold on Trout's ability they drafted somebody named Grichuck before they drafted him.
    The talent evaluation is getting better as they keep adding better prospects. Their current farm system is rated better than the Cards or the Rays. Feel free to have doubts about their abilities, but the trend is showing better evaluations.
    Holy being taken out of context! What in the world are you talking about? I merely stated 2 guys who turned out to be great players chosen at the back end of the first round- precisely chosen by me, to illustrate a place where the Twins found themselves for most of the last decade, and has been the oft-stated reason (excuse?) given for why the Twins and their fans are forced to endure their current on-field failures at remaining even remotely competitive. Of course you're not going to get a winner drafting in the Teens and 20s every year, but since Mauer in 2001 the Twins have very, very little to show for their first round picks in the following 10 years- Perkins and Span are the only "winners" (they thought so little of Garza- speaking of "talent evaluating" abilities- they had to throw Jason Barlett into a trade with the Rays for Delmon- that's why I will always give the edge to the Rays in that category until the Twins prove different).

I'll have less and less doubts about their abilities when players they have drafted below the Top Five picks become players with abilities that are remotely impactful compared to a Wacha or Trout. And given their relative positions with their current personnel situations, the Cards are sitting pretty both in the near and intermediate future, and unlike the Twins, when they are forced to lose their top players, they seem to never miss a beat in replacing the losses and staying competitive. And the Rays? They are running circles around the Twins, personnel-wise and especially developmentally (they get their top prospects to the major leagues before their physical peak), and effectively with one armed tied behind their back, financially. No question that the Twins have gotten better prospects of late, but the lofty ranking of their farm system is artificially inflated by 2 of the prospects who were top draft picks, and one was via a trade of their only coveted asset (that method is now closed off- is there any coveted asset left on the major league roster short of Mauer?). The talent evaluation will have to get better, as they soon will pick lower at the Wacha/Trout level of the draft and they can't trade for a top prospect without tradeable assets in the first place. And just once, can they draft a college pitcher who either doesn't flame out or is forced to take the 6 year route to the majors?
    Last edited by jokin; 03-06-2014 at 08:00 PM.

2. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    There is the past. It is what it is. Mistakes from the past should be used to learn from. The last few years the Twins have shown themselves to be better in the talent evaluation department. This is reflected in the prospects and their rankings. Time will tell if it they develop into major league players. More so the later picks like Rosario, Walker, Eades, and Gonslaves than the high picks like Buxton and Stewart.
    The last few trades will take time to see how the players develop to see if they were good or bad trades. Smith made bad trades. He is not the GM anymore. The process on how Smith made trades is no longer relevant to today.

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I think you might be reading too much into it. He's probably fishing a little bit for things he can share with a reporter, and he related that observation. He very well has thought about those aspects of the job before, maybe even done them with TR to some extent, but they are probably quite different when you actually have to do them yourself (solo) for the first time.
    Spycake, I couldn't agree with you more. Everyone, please don't forget Terry just went through surgery to remove cancer from his body. People aren't worried about if they are in line to be the next GM or not. They are concerned about a leader, a mentor, a person they care about beating cancer.
    Rob is more than capable of handling the media. Rob is not thinking about how this might be his chance to shine. He's more concerned that Terry returns to full health. As is everyone in the front office.

5. These 10 users like Jack Goin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-13-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (03-12-2014), cmathewson (03-12-2014), glunn (03-13-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (03-12-2014), JB_Iowa (03-12-2014), mike wants wins (03-12-2014), snepp (03-13-2014), twinsnorth49 (03-13-2014), USAFChief (03-13-2014)

Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Goin View Post
    Spycake, I couldn't agree with you more.
    Everyone, please don't forget Terry just went through surgery to remove cancer from his body. People aren't worried about if they are in line to be the next GM or not. They are concerned about a leader, a mentor, a person they care about beating cancer.
    Rob is more than capable of handling the media. Rob is not thinking about how this might be his chance to shine. He's more concerned that Terry returns to full health. As is everyone in the front office.
    Best wishes to Terry, as many passionate fans here have echoed.

I hope Jack's post is remembered the next time someone is convinced of their literal interpretation of a quote or even a full statement in an interview. Life is full of context... even the most extensive reporting can't capture that.
    Last edited by jay; 03-12-2014 at 11:06 PM.

7. This user likes jay's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (03-12-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If TR does not return before the end of spring training, Gardy will probably have a lot of say in who goes north with the team, that may or may not be a good thing(win now vs the future). I would rather focus on the future.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Goin View Post
    Spycake, I couldn't agree with you more. Everyone, please don't forget Terry just went through surgery to remove cancer from his body. People aren't worried about if they are in line to be the next GM or not. They are concerned about a leader, a mentor, a person they care about beating cancer.
    Thanks for stopping by, Jack. And don't worry -- we all certainly share your concern about TR's health. We just can't help discussing other front office types and their roles, like Antony (and you too ).

Would you have any moments to chat again? We could resurrect that old thread of yours. Just curious what your spring training has been like (what's your focus? 25 man roster, 40 man roster... other team's 40 man rosters?). Also what general thoughts you have about the new ballpark data capture system recently announced by MLB Advanced Media (I noticed that Target Field is one of the early adopters), and how much of that data will be publicly available (and in what format). Thanks again!

10. These 2 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-13-2014), TRex (03-13-2014)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123