Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mason: Exclusive Q&A with Rob Antony

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I notice when, asked about the 5th starter spot, he talked about Worley, Diamond, and Deduno, and then said "those are the three guys" before mentioning Gibson and Johnson.

"Those are the three guys" seems to suggest that barring injury, Gibson is ticketed for AAA, no?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I think you might be reading too much into it. He's probably fishing a little bit for things he can share with a reporter, and he related that observation. He very well has thought about those aspects of the job before, maybe even done them with TR to some extent, but they are probably quite different when you actually have to do them yourself (solo) for the first time.
    I don't think ashbury was reading into it at all. He clearly states he "didn't notice" them. I don't think there is any way to read that but that his job is very narrowly tailored.

Which, to Winston Smith's point, may speak to why Smith struggled with some components of the job.

I notice when, asked about the 5th starter spot, he talked about Worley, Diamond, and Deduno, and then said "those are the three guys" before mentioning Gibson and Johnson.

"Those are the three guys" seems to suggest that barring injury, Gibson is ticketed for AAA, no?
    Yup. It's basically subtle confirmation about what some of us have been saying leading up to ST. He doesn't really have a shot. AAA is a foregone conclusion for him.

I also read his Deduno comments as making him clearly in third place out of the three. It's essentially Worley vs. Diamond from what I gleaned from this.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    A question and trying to not be a smart a**. Antony started out as an intern in the PR dept. Worked his way up over a lot of years. From what I can see he has never been a scout or player evaluation guy at any time. How do you get from the PR dept. to acting GM? Shouldn't there be some scouting or some kind of player eval type work along the way?

Was this what happened with Bill Smith? A money guy, no scouting background, his right hand man is Antony with no scouting background, is that why things didn't turn out great?
    Bill Smith's right hand man was.... Terry Ryan. So there's that.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Bill Smith's right hand man was.... Terry Ryan. So there's that.
    No. That was Radcliffe, with Antony on contracts and Ryan as a special advisor.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Blog Entries
    A question and trying to not be a smart a**. Antony started out as an intern in the PR dept. Worked his way up over a lot of years. From what I can see he has never been a scout or player evaluation guy at any time. How do you get from the PR dept. to acting GM? Shouldn't there be some scouting or some kind of player eval type work along the way?

Was this what happened with Bill Smith? A money guy, no scouting background, his right hand man is Antony with no scouting background, is that why things didn't turn out great?
    When the president of the company started out in PR, it starts to look like a trend.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I think the Twins are really hoping Hicks can take cf and run with it. If so, Mastro as a bench player. Alex P really isn't much needed in my opinion.

And thus far, I'd give Worley the 5th spot. He came in with a different attitude, and in much better shape. Never saw a smile last year, he wasn't happy being here, but that's done a 180 this year. He could be the surprise of the season.

8. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I don't think ashbury was reading into it at all. He clearly states he "didn't notice" them. I don't think there is any way to read that but that his job is very narrowly tailored.

Which, to Winston Smith's point, may speak to why Smith struggled with some components of the job.
    Well, Antony actually said "probably didn't notice" and again, yours seems like a too-literal interpretation. "Probably didn't notice" could mean "I had no idea" or "I gave it no thought" but it could reasonably mean "I didn't appreciate the extent of".

Now, if Antony really is being groomed to take over for TR within the next year or two, I would be worried too, but not so much about this quote. More about his general background and memory of the Bill Smith experience...

Liked 1,268 Times in 733 Posts
    I don't know who the Twins are "grooming" for GM.

At one time I thought it was Radcliffe but I'm not sure if he is interested (can't forget about the "refusing" to let him interview for an outside GM position and have to wonder if that was just an easy way for him to take a pass). Lately it does seem more like Antony.

There is a real core group of Twins leadership that has been with the team for more than 20 years -- Terry Ryan since the early 80's (I think); Radcliffe & Antony since 1987; Bill Smith since 1986; St. Peter since 1990; Gardenhire & Ullger since the early 1990's; Followell since 1989. Even Deron Johnson has been in the Twins scouting structure since 1994.

Obviously a lot will depend on Terry Ryan's health but I have to wonder if there aren't 2 basic scenarios:

1. Ryan "rights the ship" and the Twins get back to a winning record no later than 2015 and one of his long-time lieutenants takes over; or

2. The ship is mostly dead in the water and ownership finally decides to make a major change and bring in outside talent.

I don't think it is obvious what is going to happen. I look for names that would be a bit younger than the 80's group and about the only one two I can see are Brad Steil and Jack Goin. I don't know if either of them would be a possibility.

Edit: They still have Krivsky on board as well who obviously has GM experience but that just doesn't seem as likely to me either for some reason.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts

The answer to your question is to know what Smith learned about the game of baseball versus what Antony has. I think it would be fair to say that Anothy should have learned something from Smith in terms of what not to do. You do not necessarily have to be a scout to understand how the game is played, or what makes a good player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I don't know who the Twins are "grooming" for GM.

At one time I thought it was Radcliffe but I'm not sure if he is interested (can't forget about the "refusing" to let him interview for an outside GM position and have to wonder if that was just an easy way for him to take a pass). Lately it does seem more like Antony.

There is a real core group of Twins leadership that has been with the team for more than 20 years -- Terry Ryan since the early 80's (I think); Radcliffe & Antony since 1987; Bill Smith since 1986; St. Peter since 1990; Gardenhire & Ullger since the early 1990's; Followell since 1989. Even Deron Johnson has been in the Twins scouting structure since 1994.

Obviously a lot will depend on Terry Ryan's health but I have to wonder if there aren't 2 basic scenarios:

1. Ryan "rights the ship" and the Twins get back to a winning record no later than 2015 and one of his long-time lieutenants takes over; or

2. The ship is mostly dead in the water and ownership finally decides to make a major change and bring in outside talent.

I don't think it is obvious what is going to happen. I look for names that would be a bit younger than the 80's group and about the only one two I can see are Brad Steil and Jack Goin. I don't know if either of them would be a possibility.

Edit: They still have Krivsky on board as well who obviously has GM experience but that just doesn't seem as likely to me either for some reason.
    I don't think Krivisky did that well in Cinci. As people have seen, not every assistant should move up.

Well, Antony actually said "probably didn't notice" and again, yours seems like a too-literal interpretation.
    What was Antony trying to say if not "This job has a lot more to it than I thought!"? Because he then cited his total inexperience with several vital things to support that idea, that's the issue. It's hard not to take that literally when that was exactly what he was saying. "I haven't done any of these things...so this is a new perspective!"

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    So if Antony did not fully appreciate the full extent of TR's job until he had to do it all himself on relatively short notice, it doesn't mean he lacks ambition or hasn't been adequately "groomed" so far. That's all I meant.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts

There was an article published a few weeks ago (Strib) that was about Antony. I don't have a link, but it was about his "journey" through the FO. Hired as an intern, and over time promoted to Director of Marketing. It was emphasized that this is a destination position. Then, he "took an assignment" as a scout, and later participated in contract negotiation. My point: the article was likely a Twins press release about that Antony "has the qualifications" (as opposed to the "run over by the bus" Bill Smith) to be a GM. In short, yes he has experience in player personnel. How skilled Mr. Antony is in that area wasn't published/isn't known.

So if Antony did not fully appreciate the full extent of TR's job until he had to do it all himself on relatively short notice, it doesn't mean he lacks ambition or hasn't been adequately "groomed" so far. That's all I meant.
    Right,but he didn't fully appreciate because he cited several keys parts to the job he hadn't been exposed to. That would be a grooming issue.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    There was an article published a few weeks ago (Strib) that was about Antony. I don't have a link, but it was about his "journey" through the FO. Hired as an intern, and over time promoted to Director of Marketing. It was emphasized that this is a destination position. Then, he "took an assignment" as a scout, and later participated in contract negotiation. My point: the article was likely a Twins press release about that Antony "has the qualifications" (as opposed to the "run over by the bus" Bill Smith) to be a GM. In short, yes he has experience in player personnel. How skilled Mr. Antony is in that area wasn't published/isn't known.
    Antony once said he was involved in trades. See any old thread about trades under Smith. So the question is how much smarter is he in 2014 than in 2008-2011 under Smith.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Antony once said he was involved in trades. See any old thread about trades under Smith. So the question is how much smarter is he in 2014 than in 2008-2011 under Smith.

The only way they should ever consider Antony as the successor at GM is if they get a real baseball guy (or guys) to oversee player personnel. If Antony has had any accomplishments in the trade area, wouldn't that have come out in one of these profile articles? It's scary to think of Antony going it alone in player decision-making versus the likes of the Rays and Cards- who are up to their armpits in proven talent evaluators and light years ahead philosophically and in evaluative tools. Haven't we already been there- and done that- with Bill Smith? Antony's portfolio seems similarly threadbare- and I am not convinced that Deron Johnson has proven to be capable enough to be the #2 guy, let alone the #1 guy. Krivsky is turning 60- probably time to turn the page on that notion.

Hiring 40-year old Keith Law for the Assistant GM job would be a good start (he was recently looking for just such a gig with the Astros). And then plucking a few smart guys from the budget-ball teams (A's, Cards, Rays) who have the proven penchant for finding hidden and undervalued talent at the major league, international and prospect levels. Once this team starts winning again, acquiring talent is going to become much more problematic. As all of the new prospects begin to flourish at the MLB level, we don't want to repeat the trades of a Hardy or Garza for nothing, Intl. FA signings like Nishioka, or in the draft, passing on a Trout or a Wacha who somehow fell down from the top ten picks in the draft, because we supposedly have the position filled with a "Twins Way" guy already.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-06-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Right,but he didn't fully appreciate because he cited several keys parts to the job he hadn't been exposed to. That would be a grooming issue.
    Dealing with the media. No big deal.
    Watching games with the eye on roster construction. Part of his role has been evaluation of the major and minor league talent. Rather being the person doing the input, he is having the final say. I don't know how you would groom him any better than the trust Ryan may have had in his evaluations. The extent of his ability in evaluations and the trust in his judgement might be evidenced by they had him as acting GM rather than Krivisky.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The only way they should ever consider Antony as the successor at GM is if they get a real baseball guy (or guys) to oversee player personnel. If Antony has had any accomplishments in the trade area, wouldn't that have come out in one of these profile articles? It's scary to think of Antony going it alone in player decision-making versus the likes of the Rays and Cards- who are up to their armpits in proven talent evaluators and light years ahead philosophically and in evaluative tools. Haven't we already been there- and done that- with Bill Smith? Antony's portfolio seems similarly threadbare- and I am not convinced that Deron Johnson has proven to be capable enough to be the #2 guy, let alone the #1 guy. Krivsky is turning 60- probably time to turn the page on that notion.

Hiring 40-year old Keith Law for the Assistant GM job would be a good start (he was recently looking for just such a gig with the Astros). And then plucking a few smart guys from the budget-ball teams (A's, Cards, Rays) who have the proven penchant for finding hidden and undervalued talent at the major league, international and prospect levels. Once this team starts winning again, acquiring talent is going to become much more problematic. As all of the new prospects begin to flourish at the MLB level, we don't want to repeat the trades of a Hardy or Garza for nothing, Intl. FA signings like Nishioka, or in the draft, passing on a Trout or a Wacha who somehow fell down from the top ten picks in the draft, because we supposedly have the position filled with a "Twins Way" guy already.
    So you would have had the Twins draft Wacha rather than Buxton?
    The Angels were so sold on Trout's ability they drafted somebody named Grichuck before they drafted him.
    The talent evaluation is getting better as they keep adding better prospects. Their current farm system is rated better than the Cards or the Rays. Feel free to have doubts about their abilities, but the trend is showing better evaluations.

21. This user likes old nurse's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (03-06-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    So you would have had the Twins draft Wacha rather than Buxton?
    The Angels were so sold on Trout's ability they drafted somebody named Grichuck before they drafted him.
    The talent evaluation is getting better as they keep adding better prospects. Their current farm system is rated better than the Cards or the Rays. Feel free to have doubts about their abilities, but the trend is showing better evaluations.
    I think that is a matter of two things: 1. Johnson has done a much better job with the draft than Radcliff; 2. They have had better draft position the last two years. I don't know how much of their current talent has to do with Antony. Maybe some of the free agents. Maybe some of the trade acquisitions. Not much of the farm system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast