@twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Wilkin & The Kids: Twins 9, Orioles 2

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wilkin Ramirez was one of my favorite people to talk to. He has such a passion for the game, and it comes through. This is fun to hear. He's always been a decent hitter. It's too bad he got hurt last year.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I liked watching Ramirez last season. A lot of fun to watch.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was trying to figure out if there is any way for him to make this team. I think there might. Collabello isn't a lock, and Ramirez provides RHed power.

I also wonder a little bit about Mastroianni making it. Didn't Ramirez play a little CF last year? I have to tell you, Mastro looked pretty bad in CF today. I know Ramirez isn't a CF, but I wonder if Mastro is any longer, too.

Add to all of that Kubel's slow start and I wouldn't be shocked if Ramirez finds a way onto this roster. It's not totally unthinkable.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    One way Ramrez makes the team is if Willingham is traded. MLB reported that Seattle is still looking for right handed power but is out of money. Wonder what they would give.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I was trying to figure out if there is any way for him to make this team. I think there might. Collabello isn't a lock, and Ramirez provides RHed power.

I also wonder a little bit about Mastroianni making it. Didn't Ramirez play a little CF last year? I have to tell you, Mastro looked pretty bad in CF today. I know Ramirez isn't a CF, but I wonder if Mastro is any longer, too.

Add to all of that Kubel's slow start and I wouldn't be shocked if Ramirez finds a way onto this roster. It's not totally unthinkable.
    IMO Mastro is not needed at all if Pressly makes it. Ramierez is a nice story and all, but there really should be no way he makes a roster over Kubel. Kubel has close to a decade of major league and minor league success under his belt, while Ramierez has nothing close to that, he doesn't hurt to have around as depth in the minors on a bad team like the Twins, but he really provides nothing moving fwd in the future, he is a good story/good guy no doubt, but the reality is, he barely has a case to be on a poor team's major league roster, and zero reason to be on a team that hopes to compete someday soon.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Quote Originally Posted by Otwins View Post
    One way Ramrez makes the team is if Willingham is traded. MLB reported that Seattle is still looking for right handed power but is out of money. Wonder what they would give.
    With Sano going down, this team is severely lacking power bats. I think selling Willingham low at this point coming back from an injury would be a terrible move for the Twins to make. IF he comes on strong this year and the Twins fall out of it, then look to move him for a quality piece in return. No rush.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good lord. I like Wilkin Ramirez and have been on the record since he was signed as being so. But good lord! He provided NO power in his limited time last year. He is not, at all, a bench bat. If this team was of the kind to roll with an 11-man pitching staff as it should (though not out in April), then it would make some sense to even consider Wilkin.

But are we really content on focusing on a few games in damn spring training . . . seriously? For real?

I think Wilkin had his chance last year at the beginning of the year. It did not happen. It very likely will not happen. There is no need to waste any time here.

That is *obvious*!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shane, who is doing that? All the discussion is doing is asking if there is a scenario in which he could make the team, and I think there could be a case. Is he a big league starter? Probably not. Could he be a bench bat? Sure. Do any of us think it's likely again? Probably not. But there certainly are scenarios where it could happen.

" He provided NO power in his limited time last year. He is not, at all, a bench bat. "

Just because we didn't get to see it in 81 at bats last year (36 which were post-concussion) doesn't indicate the power isn't there. He's regularly a 15-20 HR player in the shortened minor league seasons. Judge him on that.

I see a way he makes the team- injuries. He provides some quality, mlb-ready depth. He's no one's idea of a starter, but he's good for a replacement player.

I see Wilkins as an outfielder that is stashed at Rochester in the event of an Injury. I see no clear path to him making the roster.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    John: Was Worley getting any swings and misses?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    If they could get something of value for Willingham, they should do it. They aren't contending this year. Weakening the offense this year should not be a consideration at this point.

I agree that Kubel or Collabello shouldn't be locks for roster. They are replacement level players who if they don't show signs this spring that they can add value and Ramirez does show signs of being a player - he should be kept on the roster.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I'd much rather they concentrate on defense this year, since the O is likely to be bad again anyway. If Wilken can play better D than other 4th OF types, he should be kept over Kubel or Collabello. You can get lucky and win low scoring games, they have no chance to win many high scoring games this coming year, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    "I think selling Willingham low" The post said Seattle was looking for a power hitter. Who said anything about selling low? I like Ramirez as much as Mastro or Presley but the reactions and speculation here should probably be about Danny Santana. What scenario has him sticking with the team or getting him here quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    "I think selling Willingham low" The post said Seattle was looking for a power hitter. Who said anything about selling low? I like Ramirez as much as Mastro or Presley but the reactions and speculation here should probably be about Danny Santana. What scenario has him sticking with the team or getting him here quickly?
    Willingham is coming off a season where he was injured and ineffective (and getting older) it would be selling low on him at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Otwins View Post
    If they'd take Willingham and Mastro for Brad Miller (or Kyle Seager), we should do it. Seattle has too many SS. I like Danny Santana but Miller or Seager could handle short and provide a lot of offense. I'd even eat half of Willingham's salary to do the trade if I were the Twins. Willingham will be better than last year when he was battling knee problems for most of the year that sapped his power.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alskntwnsfn View Post
    If they'd take Willingham and Mastro for Brad Miller (or Kyle Seager), we should do it.
    Agreed. But Seattle would get much better offers than this for either of the two you named.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    "Willingham is coming off a season where he was injured and ineffective (and getting older) it would be selling low on him at this point". I am one who advocated considering any offer after his great year in 2012 because generally that is the time to sell. In general I agree that you don't sell good players after bad years. However, if Seattle still considers him a legitimate power hitter then the only way we are selling low on him is if we actually accept a low offer. Its more the getting older part that concerns me but my hope is that he has a monster year and we can get something like a Miller or Seager straight up later in the year. I really like Willingham but don't see him in the mid to long range plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast