Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Don't Need More Starters

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Which pile is that?
    See post #20 immediately above, just for Starters (pun intended).
    Last edited by jokin; 03-05-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    The Twins have numbers. I'm not sure about the quality of those numbers.

If a better option became available, they should absolutely add another starter. Saunders doesn't do anything for me, but Santana would have at least piqued my interest as a fan. If the Twins had signed Santana to a minor league deal instead of the Orioles, I wouldn't have criticized them for adding to an already crowded starter pool.
    I think signing a guy like Saunders would mean Corriea does not break camp with the Twins. I think he is a perfect sell high guy and Saunders is a sell low guy. Their production next year is probably similar, Saunders will sign for less and we might be able to get a decent prospect. Probably not a top 100 prospect but maybe a young upside guy.

I just read that Saunders signed a minor league deal with the Rangers. His career ERA is 4.30, lower than Corriea. I would have been OK with signing him and trading Kevin but no dice.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I just read that Saunders signed a minor league deal with the Rangers. His career ERA is 4.30, lower than Corriea. I would have been OK with signing him and trading Kevin but no dice.
    I think most of us would be fine with trading Correia, but to do it now, you'll likely have to wait for an injury to a starter on a another team with an undesirable contingency plan. An injury like that is likely to happen, but we can't count on it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,594 Times in 829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wabene View Post
    I've been lurking around this site for not quite a year and have to say thank you guys for all the work, enthusiasm and knowledge! Not much of a gusher (could be that spring thing) but this site is up to #2 on my rotation. If you are unsure of how good this site is just read a couple of comments after a Len3 article in the Strib....yuck. Well I thought we might see something from Worley he is a guy we should hang onto because of his youth and track record. Don't think Diamond has the talent to hang with this group. I like Correa because he seems mentally strong enough to get the most out of his talent, but if Worley Deduno and Gibby are all looking good I agree he should be traded.
    Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the site! Our mods work diligently to keep the intelligent baseball coming and weed out some of the posters who run rampant on other sites.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Who says the Twins passed on Santana? I find it more likely he passed on them.
    Good point.

To be clear, my premise was that signing Santana would not create a logjam on the Twins starting rotation. Nick seems to be arguing that there was no room for a 35 year old tired pitcher because the Twins don't need any more starters. Santana would have had to pitch his way through the minor leagues and onto the major league roster, earning a place among the top five starters in the Twins organization. I would have liked to see him get that shot with us, not Baltimore.

Maybe Santana didn't think he could overcome that competition, and saw a better path back to the majors in Baltimore. I don't know. Again, you offer a good point here.

I just think that a two-time Cy Young winner might be worth that risk/reward. It's pure speculation. I liked the Rich Harden signing last year, for many of the same reasons. Oh well, I wish him well, and would love to see him pitch the O's past the Yankees and the Bosox down the stretch run in the AL East.

I see a few posters talking up Gibson and trading somebody to make room for him. Not sure that is a good idea. Gibson needs to go to Rochester and earn spot in Target Field first. He is old (27) for a rookie and not an ace. If he is doing well end of May, then bring him up--somebody will have worked himself out of the rotation by then.

Meanwhile, a rotation of Hughes, Nolasco, Correia, Pelfrey, and Worley/Diamond/Deduno / looks adequate for now.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    With all respect DFGG, I think you are vastly overrating Santana's potential this year. He's 35 and his shoulder is fried. I'd rather give the playing time to any number of decent arms 10 years younger.

The Twins paid Rich Harden a salary last year to rehab his shoulder and never pitch in a game (he was coming off the same surgery Santana just had for a second time, BTW). They also paid Mike Pelfrey $4 million to essentially work through his Tommy John rehab on the field.

I can't blame them for passing on Santana. If he does miraculously manage to come back and pitch effectively, they can take a shot at him next year. Money will be no object.
    This. No one has successfully recovered from two surgeries of this type. Harden tried to recover from the first one last year and just never developed the velocity. It's extremely likely Santana would be in the same boat or worse. I hope he does, but I am not all that disappointed that he will get that chance with another organization.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They don't need more old players blocking possible future players at AAA and the MLB level. It is hard to understand how this is even up for debate at this point. Another year of not knowing if these guys are part of the future would be bad. At some point, you need to test these guys.
    Mike, what's the difference between blocking and good, healthy competition?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For once its actually possible to envision a decent pitching scenario

-everyone gets through ST healthy and the Twins DFA two losers for the 5th rotation spot
    -Meyer and/or Gibson and/or May pitch themselves to a June call-up
    -make a trade or option some guys (Fien) in order to make room for the newcomer(s)

That's not too unrealistic really.

10. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The main problem in how the Twins are handling all of this is that many of their "possible future players at AAA and the MLB level" are now also getting old (with their birthday age in 2014), to wit:

Deduno 31
    Vasquez 32
    Johnson 30
    Pino 30
    Diamond 28
    Turpen 28
    Watts 27
    Thompson 27
    Worley 27
    The "Youngish" Kyle Gibson 27

And yet, there is still fretting about the burning of service time. It's as if they're afraid of being stuck with multiple Nick Blackburns.
    These are guys in the age-group for peak performance--and yet for zero of them is it certain that any of them belong at the major league level. My points: we as fans should not expect any of them to be a cornerstone on the Active Roster, and any pitcher (in the peak-performance age group) who can't make the worst staff in MLB isn't worth keeping in hopes of "obtaining value"--he has so very little value! In about 10 days the Twins need to reduce to 15 pitchers in ML camp, so everybody "gets their innings" to be fully prepared for opening day and for those in the "decision group" (keep/demote/release) also have enough innings to make an informed decision.

12. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 163 Posts
    You can always use more pitching if it's good pitching. The rotation is now mostly mediocre at best. If they can add a good or better guy do it. However, I don't think they need more mediocre or worse guys.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

14. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-05-2014)

Blog Entries
    If I'm Santana, I'd be very wary of the Twins pitching depth. They've got three starters locked in for the next two years or more. They've got three other starters out of options. They've got three other top prospects waiting for opportunities. And that doesn't count the guy who was their de facto top starter last year. That's a lot of competition for opportunities.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Mike, what's the difference between blocking and good, healthy competition?

I'm all for signing great players. but competition for mediocre players or average players? the only real way to know what any of this pile of players can do is to let them try to do it. this team is NOT competing this year, not with this offense. Signing an old player that won't be here in 2 years, in a position where they have 4-6 guys waiting in line already, that makes zero sense.

Signing a great pitcher, that makes sense. Signing more spaghetti to throw against the wall? The next strand will just pile on top of the others, stopping you from seeing if they are good or not. (wow, bad mixing).

they have 10 or so "starters". What they NEED to know at the end of this year is if any of them should be on the roster past 2015 or not.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    By all accounts, the Twins tried to get this done. Ultimately, it's Santana's decision, and dollars are not the only part of that. I can't blame them for not getting it done. It's his choice.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
    Which pile is that?
    There is a very well written blog article detailing exactly that and this is the thread responding to it. I'm not sure why that needs to be elaborated upon. The Twins have plenty of "meh" pitching.

The saying "you can never have enough pitching" is in reference to good pitching. Not roster glut.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 03-05-2014 at 11:39 AM.

19. These 3 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-05-2014), Kwak (03-05-2014), USAFChief (03-05-2014)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    There is a very well written blog article detailing exactly that and this is the thread responding to it. I'm not sure why that needs to be elaborated upon. The Twins have plenty of "meh" pitching.

The saying is you can never have enough pitching is in reference to good pitching. Not roster glut.
    I agree Nick's article was well written, but what I'm referring to is the less than exact term pile. One poster listed his pile labeled starters, while many are in fact relievers. Another poster has since used the same term and added another in spaghetti.

Let me give an exact example. I would put Correia in the you can't ever have too much starting pitching pile and the pile of starting pitchers who can be traded for value when the time comes.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I agree Nick's article was well written, but what I'm referring to is the less than exact term pile. One poster listed his pile labeled starters, while many are in fact relievers. Another poster has since used the same term and added another in spaghetti.

Let me give an exact example. I would put Correia in the you can't ever have 1)too much starting pitching pile and the 2)pile of starting pitchers who can be traded for value when the time comes.
    Let me posit that both of those piles don't take up a lot of room down in the Twins and Red Wings bullpens.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    But that's not reality for the next three months. Adding more guys over 30 something does nothing to help the players in AA and AAA and MLB get better. It only keeps them down a level, not being challenged.

I doubt any SP on this 40 man is being dealt for at least 3 months. In the meantime, adding more bad SP only pushes guys down, farther from the majors than they should be.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,594 Times in 829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see the purpose in picking up any more starters. I was back-and-forth on Santana because he won't be ready for a few months but after seeing the deal he got from the O's, no thanks. It's unlikely that he will contribute anything meaningful to a team that looks to struggle to reach the 75 win mark.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries

Let me give an exact example. I would put Correia in the you can't ever have too much starting pitching pile and the pile of starting pitchers who can be traded for value when the time comes.
    If you were referring to me, please note that I labeled my list "pun intended" by including Watts and Turpen. My point was to the fact that the Twins have a huge glut of pitchers, a "pile" if you will of much older pitchers, who are supposed to be in their peak performance years, but who are still trying to prove that they belong at this level.

The question on the table is: should the Twins, as a rebuilding team trying to figure out who the keepers are, be getting older on the pitching staff or younger? It's very debatable that a team in their position, pitching-wise, should be wasting any more time with even more guys that have proven mediocre at best, thus far in their careers; it's somewhat absurd that any more PJ Walters-types be given more opportunities over younger guys that might actually become relevant during the next competitive phase for this team.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast