Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: more on BA prospect rankings

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 216 Times in 137 Posts

more on BA prospect rankings

BA listed all the players that made someones top 150 but missed the overall top 100. Four Twins were listed in that group - Rosario, Thorpe, Berrios and May. Surprising, to me, was that no one at BA listed Josmil Pinto among the top 150 prospects in baseball.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/ask-ba-3/

Berrios had the fourth highest ballot vote - coming in 69 on someones ballot - of the players that didn't make the top 100 (doesn't mean he was on the most ballots, just that on one, he was ranked pretty high).

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only thing I can think of with Pinto is that they've graduated him. Pinto is a better prospect at this point than any of the guys that got missed (minus maybe Rosario).

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    The only thing I can think of with Pinto is that they've graduated him. Pinto is a better prospect at this point than any of the guys that got missed (minus maybe Rosario).
    He still qualifies as a rookie, doesn't he? It'd be strange for BA to use there own rookie standard.

Senior Member All-Star
    No, he's still a rookie. Just very surprised he's not on any of their lists. Callis and Mayo at mlb.com's great mlbpipeline didn't rank him either but Parks at baseball prospectus ranked him #56.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    I wonder how much ego, or how much previously held evaluations play a role in these lists. It'd be interesting to see what percentage of prospects change year to year, and how often and how high players who didn't make previous lists make current ones.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 124 Times in 80 Posts
    I think they might be overlooking Pinto some but this is a reason to temper your expectations this season with him.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's particularly conspicuous because BP has him at 56, between Stewart (54) and Rosario (60). FWIW, I like BP's list better.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
    It is really curious that at least ONE guy didn't put Pinto on their list. Strange

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    I'm sure it's all about defense. With a lot of these guys, they seem more concerned about their level of defense when it comes to the SS or catcher postions.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 78 Times in 59 Posts
    Baseball Prospectus is the only one to rank either Pinto (#56) or Thorpe (#101), although Sickles hasn't published his list and he's been high on both. BP listed 8 Twins prospects. They gave Sano the lowest ranking I've yet seen (#14), Meyer the highest (#32). Overall, BP gave favorable rankings to seven of eight, and they think Pinto is the fifth best prospect in the system, high praise for sure.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    It's particularly conspicuous because BP has him at 56, between Stewart (54) and Rosario (60). FWIW, I like BP's list better.
    Shocking that you like the list with 8 Twins on it better than the ones with 4-6.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Shocking that you like the list with 8 Twins on it better than the ones with 4-6.
    I think of the major rankers, I like them in this order:

Callis and Mayo at mlbpipeline
    Sickels at minorleagueball
    Parks
    KLaw
    BA
    Fangraphs

BA took a big hit when Callis left them. I don't really care much for KLaw but he's at ESPN so ... (And, in fairness, he was on a lot of rookie ball guys like Arcia and Rosario before others). Parks, I think, is better than Klaw and he has a lot more stuff available out there. Callis and Mayo are really good - I liked Mayo when it was just him and adding Callis gave mlb.com the best prospect site on the net which I'm sure is what they were after. Sickels has been doing pretty good work for years.

I think the main thing I like is content and availability and the top 3 have a lot more of it then the bottom three. Parks' chats at BP are pretty long and his answers are a lot more thorough than Klaw's at ESPN even if a lot of stuff is still hidden behind a paywall.