Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Good Read on Danny Santana

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    698
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Like
    498
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Good Read on Danny Santana

    Mike Berardino@MikeBerardino 1m
    ICYMI, this was my pregame blog on Danny Santana (2 triples, 3 RBI today). #mntwins
    http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...night-and-day/
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

  2. This user likes Tibs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    JB_Iowa (03-03-2014)

  3. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I hope he shows enough to make Florimon an afterthought in short time.

    My favorite part:
    “I like the kid a lot,” Gardenhire said. “He can fly. As advertised. Short swing. Chops it. He can run, and he can pick it. He’s got a cannon. He’s got all the tools. Now if he can slow the game down enough. He’s got range. He’s got it all. Now it’s just a matter of if he harnesses everything enough to be consistent out there.”

    I guess he has all the tools. I know I can't wait to see this guy with a short, choppy swing show off some power!

    Or is that not a tool Gardy is familiar with?

  4. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Since71 (03-03-2014)

  5. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,149
    Like
    102
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I hope he shows enough to make Florimon an afterthought in short time.

    My favorite part:
    “I like the kid a lot,” Gardenhire said. “He can fly. As advertised. Short swing. Chops it. He can run, and he can pick it. He’s got a cannon. He’s got all the tools. Now if he can slow the game down enough. He’s got range. He’s got it all. Now it’s just a matter of if he harnesses everything enough to be consistent out there.”

    I guess he has all the tools. I know I can't wait to see this guy with a short, choppy swing show off some power!

    Or is that not a tool Gardy is familiar with?
    Seems like Gardy really likes the kid.

  6. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Oh and this one:

    He really doesn’t walk much and he’s still hitting .300,” Gardenhire said. “That says a lot. You think about it, if he starts walking more, that’s going to raise that (batting average) up. On-base percentage will be a little bit better. But he’s swinger. I don’t mind swingers, but he has to learn to take his walks when he gets them. He’ll get better.”

    I'll give him an early season pass, but that one makes it sound like he doesn't exactly know what goes into a BA or OBP, though certainly he does.

  7. #5
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,607
    Like
    3,679
    Liked 3,168 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I hope he shows enough to make Florimon an afterthought in short time.My favorite part: “I like the kid a lot,” Gardenhire said. “He can fly. As advertised. Short swing. Chops it. He can run, and he can pick it. He’s got a cannon. He’s got all the tools. Now if he can slow the game down enough. He’s got range. He’s got it all. Now it’s just a matter of if he harnesses everything enough to be consistent out there.”I guess he has all the tools. I know I can't wait to see this guy with a short, choppy swing show off some power!Or is that not a tool Gardy is familiar with?
    There is an organizational rule prohibiting middle infielders from being able to hit.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  8. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,244
    Like
    107
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Wellll, there was a reason for Souhan's article in the Tribune this weekend...
    But, I need to know--does Santana "get after it"? Maybe "slide into 1st base"? "All of the tools" should include power hitting--but I bet it doesn't in this case. Especially when he "chops it".

  9. #7
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I can't wait to see him. He sounds a lot like Guzman at the same age. I hope he hits a bit more, though.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  10. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,149
    Like
    102
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Oh and this one:

    He really doesn’t walk much and he’s still hitting .300,” Gardenhire said. “That says a lot. You think about it, if he starts walking more, that’s going to raise that (batting average) up. On-base percentage will be a little bit better. But he’s swinger. I don’t mind swingers, but he has to learn to take his walks when he gets them. He’ll get better.”

    I'll give him an early season pass, but that one makes it sound like he doesn't exactly know what goes into a BA or OBP, though certainly he does.
    I think he is saying if he walks more he will get better pitches, which will help us BA as he will get more hits.

  11. #9
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,149
    Like
    102
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I can't wait to see him. He sounds a lot like Guzman at the same age. I hope he hits a bit more, though.
    Hopefully, Guzie could be the poster boy for how speed doesn't always mean you can steal bases. He was thrown out 36% of the time and one of the fastest players around.

  12. #10
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,334
    Like
    1,306
    Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts
    I can't wait to see him either. I'm sorry he played in the "away" game.

    But 2 doubles, one from each side of the plate sounds good to me. As does 10.6 seconds from home to 3rd (unofficially).

    Media guys seem pretty impressed by what they saw (not just by what Twins are telling them).

  13. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    698
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Like
    498
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mike Berardino just tweeted out at least a handful of quotes from Santana after the game. If you aren't following Mike on Twiter, you are missing out.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

  14. This user likes Tibs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (03-03-2014)

  15. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Posts
    610
    Like
    20
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I can't wait to see him. He sounds a lot like Guzman at the same age. I hope he hits a bit more, though.
    Guzie had three seasons over 100 OPS+ (although 2 with Wash). I'd take that in a heartbeat. The problem was he also had a bunch in the 70's.

  16. #13
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    288
    Like
    10
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Guzie had three seasons over 100 OPS+ (although 2 with Wash). I'd take that in a heartbeat. The problem was he also had a bunch in the 70's.
    I long for the days of Guzie at this point.

  17. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,666
    Like
    11
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    If Santana walks more rather than striking out or hitting weakly his batting average would go up. I think Gardenhire on this exactly knows what goes into the game from the statement.

  18. #15
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,666
    Like
    11
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    There is an organizational rule prohibiting middle infielders from being able to hit.
    When was the last 160 pound power hitter?

  19. #16
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,334
    Like
    1,306
    Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts
    And here's Berardino's followup after today's game:

    http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...ires-attention

  20. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Tibs (03-03-2014)

  21. #17
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Posts
    658
    Like
    7
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I can't wait to see him either. I'm sorry he played in the "away" game.

    But 2 doubles, one from each side of the plate sounds good to me. As does 10.6 seconds from home to 3rd (unofficially).

    Media guys seem pretty impressed by what they saw (not just by what Twins are telling them).
    You mean triples, right?

  22. #18
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,334
    Like
    1,306
    Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    You mean triples, right?

    Yes I do.

    Thanks.

  23. #19
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    erick davis?

  24. #20
    Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Posts
    470
    Like
    220
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Not a Floriman hater by any means. In fact, I'm in the camp to have at SS this season for his defense and speed, with hopefully a raise to some degree is both Avg and OB%. While he could regress, a year of experience should play out to at least some degree. If he could hit at the MLB level at the same approximate rate he did in the minors, with accompanying OB improvement, with his defense, he'd actually be an asset overall. But there is still room for improvement at the position no question. And I'm very excited about Santana's potential.

    From all reports, especially from those that really matter, he's got everything available to be a very good defensive SS, which is first and foremost in importance. And I am truly not concerned about reported errors in the minors for a couple of reasons. One is that having the hands, range and arm to make plays is still more important than error results at this point. Like any milb payer he is developing. You can teach getting better and more consistent, but you can't teach natural ability or atheticism. And don't forget that with natural progression also brings better playing surfaces as well as better players around him. The second reason for optimism is the history of natural progression at any Inf position, including SS. Even the very best defensive SS have shown higher error totals while being minor leaguers. Very few MLB caliber SS were a wiz from day one. Most displayed mistakes, often attributed to rushing the game around them, when young. Even some of the best MLB SS's had error totals in the teens and low 20's at first before settling down and learning.

    I do think

    offensive expectations should be tempered somewhat though. I, like everyone else, would absolutely love to see him hit in the .280-.290 range that he's shown the last couple of seasons with a more patient approach that would raise his OB%, coupled with his speed and improved SB results and a little bit of pop he's shown. Possibly with a little more as he physically matures, and hopefully fills out another 10 pounds or so.

    However, great defense, the ability to hit some, improve his OB a little as a result, lace some XB hits and improve his SB rate would make him a very valuable asset to the club, exceeding Floriman range. Again, a huge asset, but anything more than that, being able to hit at the top of the order for instance at 1 or 2, would make him all-star caliber. And I don't know that we have that here. How many teams do? Be excited, I am. But temper expectations just a little.

  25. This user likes DocBauer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Tibs (03-04-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.