Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Berardino: Gardy's Comments on Attitude

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As crazy as it sounds players aren't just exorcising their demons out there. If a hitter showboats after a HR, specifically after a HR on a pitch to the outer half of the plate, what that tells the pitcher is that he's too comfortable up there and needs to be brushed back in order to re-claim the outer half. Its about the mental game within the game, not about whining

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea what is happening in the clubhouse. I just know what I saw in 2013 on the field.

In 2013... I don't believe that Twins fans got full value of the tickets they purchased. I don't believe they got 100% from all members of the squad and 100% should be implied in the price of the ticket. Make a play... You are good enough to make the majors... You are good enough to make a play!!!

2013 was non aggressive base running... get out of the way of the turning double play... station to station baseball.

2013 was make the routine defensive play and that's it!!! Apart from 2B and SS... I have no complaints watching Florimon and Dozier do what they did with the glove and arm.

2013 was Non Focused unprepared for the pitcher tendencies plate appearances... Hitting the pitchers pitch instead of your pitch... Throwing away at bats and walking back to the dugout wondering what happened.

I have no idea what is happening in the dugout but I assume based on the lolligagging nature of what I watched in 2013. Tude needs to be addressed. Go get em Gardy.

If the Tude gets better... The Stats get better and the Wins get better. If the Tude doesn't get better. Get new players.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

3. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-04-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    As crazy as it sounds players aren't just exorcising their demons out there. If a hitter showboats after a HR, specifically after a HR on a pitch to the outer half of the plate, what that tells the pitcher is that he's too comfortable up there and needs to be brushed back in order to re-claim the outer half. Its about the mental game within the game, not about whining
    Yeah I agree with that. I think that is more what this thread should be about. I think people are looking at passion and leadership and confusing them with the mental game that goes on in each players head.

Most athletes agree that confidence plays a key role in success. When you believe you are going to hit a home run it is more likely that you are going to hit a home run. If you believe you are going to hit a home run and strike out the next 10 times your confidence is going to go down and create doubt about hitting a home run the next time. The next time up you might not be aggressive at the plate. You might be afraid to strike out and just want to make contact. you might be afraid to swing at certain pitches. You might swing frantically at any pitch in an effort to just get a hit.

The psychology of a hitter is tough. You are considered successful if you make an out two thirds of the time (66%). You are considered marginally successful when you make an out 75% of the time. You are considered worthy of replacement when you make an out 80% of the time or more. There is 10% window you have to fit in to make it. Not much room for slumps in there.

If I had to guess the problem with many guys batting in the 200 range is that they are thinking too hard when they are up there instead of just reacting. They have lost confidence in their ability. No amount of leadership or passion can save them from themselves as they lose confidence and become their own worst enemy. You can work on mechanics and try to remove the demons but each player has to find there way to what works for them. What works for one guy doesn't for another.

I think that is why managers are always saying we need to have fun out there etc. Always trying to keep players loose so that don't think too much. I think that is why managers continue to put guys out there that are struggling to try and help them re-gain their confidence. The mental game of baseball is very interesting.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Interesting that A.J. was the Twins' first choice for a catcher.

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/

“There’s no doubt A.J. was our No. 1 target going into the offseason,” Antony told the Pioneer Press. “He brings a lot to the table. He’s got a lot of intangibles. He’s got a little bit of that fire, that attitude that we thought would be a good thing in this clubhouse.

“We’ve got a lot of good guys. Sometimes it’s good to have somebody that will speak their mind and go out there. Plus, I think he can still hit. He’s still got some power. So there’s no question about that.”

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Interesting that A.J. was the Twins' first choice for a catcher.

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/

“There’s no doubt A.J. was our No. 1 target going into the offseason,” Antony told the Pioneer Press. “He brings a lot to the table. He’s got a lot of intangibles. He’s got a little bit of that fire, that attitude that we thought would be a good thing in this clubhouse.

“We’ve got a lot of good guys. Sometimes it’s good to have somebody that will speak their mind and go out there. Plus, I think he can still hit. He’s still got some power. So there’s no question about that.”
    Well, the Twins sure seem to think a diversity of personalities is a good thing.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I have no idea what is happening in the dugout but I assume based on the lolligagging nature of what I watched in 2013. Tude needs to be addressed.
    Approves:

8. These 4 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (03-05-2014), snepp (03-04-2014), USAFChief (03-04-2014), Willihammer (03-04-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I don't know where you see the fire in Gardy Seth...

The last few seasons Gardy has been hanging off the top rail of the dugout with his arms down on a daily basis it seems. I see defeat in him and not fire. He used to have it at some point, but now, like his team, it seems that he lost it...

Maybe he does not like that any more. I hope that this is true and he and the team changes. Really I do.

You know the pose I am referring to:

It seems to me that attitude is largely a perception based argument and not necessarily a reality. I'm not a fan of Gardy just to be clear, but I'm not sure any of us can reasonably argue that Gardy does or does not have attitude. You post this picture, but this is a slice in time for an attitude that will be observed from Gardy from time to time.... Of course this is the same manager who has consistently been at the top of the league in ejections, which to me says the opposite of what you are saying.

Willihammer posted 3 pictures earlier in this thread. One showed Gardy livid during a game where the Twins held a comfortable 6-0 lead. The other showed him having a nice chat during a 20-5 blowout of the Twins. He didn't comment on this, but I cannot help but notice that his attitude in each of those pictures was opposite of what some of us would "expect". I've seen plenty of shots where he's livid in a loss and pretty laid back in a win... or even a close game for that matter. While I don't want to put words in Willihammers mouth, I have to say that to me this enforces a very simple principle... attitude is a perception.

If you want to judge Gardy, it should be by his results. Personally, I think Levi hit the nail on the head here with his inconsistency towards rookies.... that's just me though.

10. These 2 users like diehardtwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dman (03-05-2014), Willihammer (03-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Of course this is the same manager who has consistently been at the top of the league in ejections, which to me says the opposite of what you are saying.
    I agree with your conclusion but I share Thrylos' perception. I probably should have clarified that earlier. Even when Gardy makes up his mind to get ejected, and does his ejection routine, I feel like everyone in the building rolls their eyes and says "here we go again." I doubt the players see it any differently, because even though he gets ejected all the time his players' fire has been questioned for seems like his entire tenure. Whatever Gardy thinks he's selling, nobody seems to be buying. After all these years he just looks sort of desperate and even defeated sometimes. JMO

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When you are 30 games under .500 3 years in a row you aren't going to get that exhilarated.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    When you are 30 games under .500 3 years in a row you aren't going to get that exhilarated.
    When you are 30 games under .500 3 years in a row you should resign instead of being re-signed...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

14. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (03-05-2014)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345