Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Berardino: Gardy's Comments on Attitude

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Silly unwritten rules, imo. Jog around. Smiling and being happy should not make the other team mad. Not sure why it does, frankly. How, exactly, is it disrespectful to flip your bat? What actual harm is done?
    Apparently millions of dollars aren't sufficient to assuage your ego because you made a mistake. You have to hit people with 90 mph objects to do that.

Or so I've been told thanks to the unwritten rules.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm glad to see that some personality is welcomed in the Twins locker room.

I don't know that I like the talk about a "line" that may or may not be toed though. A line is pretty subjective, who's in charge of setting the "line" that should not be crossed? And is that line consistant for all players or does it get moved depending on the players skill level or frequency of instances of "attitude"?
    This is so salient.

Like Gardy or hate him, anyone who suggests his clubhouse rules/expectations have been consistent for all players is simply not dealing in reality. Over his tenure he has always shown a bias against young players and made their path more difficult. Not as bad as Kelly did, but from the same family of management.

Just from my experience, I think that's an awful quality in a manager and a tendency that does far more harm to morale than people realize.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Garza, Lohse, Hardy and Gomez?
    3/4 traded by Smith

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This is so salient.

Like Gardy or hate him, anyone who suggests his clubhouse rules/expectations have been consistent for all players is simply not dealing in reality. Over his tenure he has always shown a bias against young players and made their path more difficult. Not as bad as Kelly did, but from the same family of management.

Just from my experience, I think that's an awful quality in a manager and a tendency that does far more harm to morale than people realize.
    In the world I don't recall ever seeing a workplace that did not have some people more equal than others.
    The path may have been made more difficult, but not blocked nor hamstrung.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    Apparently millions of dollars aren't sufficient to assuage your ego because you made a mistake. You have to hit people with 90 mph objects to do that.

Yeah I don't really understand the unwritten rules either. If someone could enlighten me that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    In the world I don't recall ever seeing a workplace that did not have some people more equal than others.
    The path may have been made more difficult, but not blocked nor hamstrung.
    Some minimal level is probably impossible to avoid. Significant and consistent inequality? I've certainly seen that avoided. Gardy has entrenched a very inconsistent set of expectations on this team for a very long time. Kelly did too, especially in his latter years.

Gardy brings many positives things to the managerial role, but his consistency in treatment and his encouragement of unique personalities is not among them.

7. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (03-05-2014)

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Which ones got traded away?
    jokin took care of the answer for me...... I just figured Twins' fans would know.

Being cocky and having attitude are two different things. Imo cocky is another word for show boating. And showing attitude is getting mad when a pitcher hits a batter, or having a week long losing streak and telling your teammates it's unacceptable and throwing water coolers around

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It may surprise some, but these Gardy comments don't surprise me at all. He's always managed with a fire and liked his players to show the same.
    I don't know where you see the fire in Gardy Seth...

The last few seasons Gardy has been hanging off the top rail of the dugout with his arms down on a daily basis it seems. I see defeat in him and not fire. He used to have it at some point, but now, like his team, it seems that he lost it...

Maybe he does not like that any more. I hope that this is true and he and the team changes. Really I do.

You know the pose I am referring to:

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

11. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

notoriousgod71 (03-03-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Yeah I don't really understand the unwritten rules either. If someone could enlighten me that would be awesome.

6817054.jpg
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 03-03-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Thus, from now on they should be referred to as "the rules formerly known as Unwritten"
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

14. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-04-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

The last few seasons Gardy has been hanging off the top rail of the dugout with his arms down on a daily basis it seems. I see defeat in him and not fire. He used to have it at some point, but now, like his team, it seems that he lost it...

Maybe he does not like that any more. I hope that this is true and he and the team changes. Really I do.

You know the pose I am referring to:

I'm not sure what how he sits and watches a game has to do with anything. When I say he has a fire, it has nothing to do with how he watches the game. I don't expect him to rant and rave and run around the dugout all game. And even this pitcher shows a manager that is closely watching something...

And yes, I think that this "fire" thing that so many want is vastly overrated. Joe Mauer would not be a better player if he played some other way. Tony Dungy would not have been a better coach if he had been another way. Tom Kelly didn't have some sort of irate fire. He was pretty calm in games.

Gardy has always backed his players, and as a player that's all you can hope for in a manager. Few know the game better than Gardy.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Wait, Gardy has always backed his players? Like when he constantly threw some under the bus publicly in the past, for things that don't matter? I like Gardy as a human, and I think he does something right in the clubhouse, otherwise they might not have won as much as they did. But to say he "always backed his players" is an exaggeration, imo. We all remember quotes about certain players being ripped publicly. Usually college educated or young players.
    Lighten up Francis....

Wait, Gardy has always backed his players? Like when he constantly threw some under the bus publicly in the past, for things that don't matter? I like Gardy as a human, and I think he does something right in the clubhouse, otherwise they might not have won as much as they did. But to say he "always backed his players" is an exaggeration, imo. We all remember quotes about certain players being ripped publicly. Usually college educated or young players.
    Yeah, I read that and had the same response.

The guy consistently beats up young player's for their mistakes in the press and gives passes to veterans. It's a major part of his inconsistent expectations. He's entitled to do it if that's what he feels will help. But it completely flies in the face of the notion that he has everyone's back.

It's all context. You can show some attitude if you're a really good player or you play on a good team. It's like in football. Say a team is up by 21, and a DE hammers a back for a loss then showboats after the tackle, we all say "Go ahead and enjoy it, you're crushing them". But doing the same thing if you're down by 21 is a big no-no.

Gardy's probably just excited to have some players who can back up their attitude. Time will tell if they can do it in the show.

However, there's no way this coaching staff should NOT have been brought back after last year. Gardy continually ripped on players for mental mistakes but offered no examples of what the coaching staff was doing to fix the situation. And the hitting! When Tony Oliva has to call Colabello to tell him he's too far off the plate to cover the outer half of the plate, something is deeply wrong with your coaching staff. That shows that the staff was not going back to the tape to identify problems and fix them. I remember before the AS break seeing Justin hit, he was starting to keep his head more still, I said to my friend "watch, he's going to get hot" and he did for awhile. That's always been Justin's problem. These things are on the players as much as the coaches, they're grown men too who should know their bad habits better than anybody. But still... Tony O calling in hitting advice on a struggling hitter that was so obvious? I heard on the radio yesterday about how Bruno lost a lot of sleep because guys were striking out so much last year, maybe he should have used that time to watch some film or breakdown how opposing pitchers were attacking our hitters.

Questions I'd like to hear reporters ask this year:

"What types of things are you doing in spring training to improve the baserunning this year?"
    "Do Twins hitters have the ability to view swings from their past (successful stretches) side by side with current footage, is that something that players/coaches review on a weekly or daily basis?"
    "This year Target Field will be equipped with new technology allowing a much better understanding of batted balls and defensive outcomes. This data stream could be a big advantage since its only available in a few venues in 2014, which should give the Twins an advantage over other clubs in understanding their own players. Specifically, how will the coaching staff use this and Pitch f/x data to improve our club?"

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

I've seen that look on Gardy a lot. How many runs were the Twins down when that picture was taken?

I don't think Gardy has the patience to deal with young and inexperienced players anymore, if he ever had it to begin with. Now that he's got a contract extension and the Twins have lots of minor leaguers close to making the jump, he'll have to deal with them.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts

I totally read this incorrectly the first time....that you were saying my ego was too big (missing the millionaire part).
    Lighten up Francis....

I think fire and attitude and especially demeanor are over-rated. Which isnt to say that it does not matter, but that their not as important as most people think. Pete Rose didnt get 4000 hits because he sprinted out to his fielding position every inning. He did because he had the inate ability to hit major league pitching.

All those positive abstract qualities probably make some difference which should end up in the statistical record. Paraphrasing Bill James, it's not that they do not matter it's that they are impossible to quantify.

As it is though, Ill take a team full of Joe Mauer's and Stan Musials and beat the snot out of a team of Nick Puntos and AJ Pierszinkis

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    Don't settle for anything less than a million, Mike. Don't let him do that to you. :-)

23. These 4 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-04-2014), JB_Iowa (03-04-2014), mike wants wins (03-04-2014), snepp (03-04-2014)

I totally read this incorrectly the first time....that you were saying my ego was too big (missing the millionaire part).

Ha! Yeah, not "you" as in you. But "you" as in "whiney baseball players who hide behind unwritten rules".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast