Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris "Parmalee" ... and other comments on spelling and gramma

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    I have an idea. Perhaps the Twins should cut, waive, trade or sell to Korea this Chris P guy whose name no one can spell. It is obvious to all concerned that he is the cause of the Twins poor play due to people obsessing over the spelling of his name. He is currently the subject of a thread on Twins Daily that has regressed into a grammar lesson that provides no constructive feedback or debate on how to improve the Twins major league team. Except this: no one can spell his name and it is distracting from the productive back and forth discourse by amateur baseball evaluators on a fan site to finding a solution to fielding a competitive major league baseball team for both the short and long term. Removing this player immediately from the team will solve all of the Twins current problems and finally end this pointless thread so that all of these knowledgeable and diehard thread posters can concentrate on the important topics of debating the upcoming 25 man and 40 man roster decisions which will not be made for several weeks.

*The above post contains just the smallest bit of sarcasm. It is for entertainment purposes only and was not intended as a direct attack on any particular poster or posters in general. I was bored and annoyed that I read this thread in it's entirety and cannot get the lost time that I devoted to reading this thread back. Perhaps I will be lucky in the choice of the next thread I read and will not have to submit myself to reading non-baseball related topics on a baseball site. One can only hope....
    You used the wrong form of "its".

*ducks and runs*

2. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (03-02-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am a poet, a writer, a former English major, etc. And proper grammar is a huge pet peeve of mine. Especially when speaking. However, with blogging not being a formal report or resume, I tend not to be too bothered by simple mistakes.

Forgetting for a moment just how complicated our language is, i can forgive punctuation mistakes. Blantant misuse of words is hard to take through. But, i no that word correction often mis-fires when I am rushing along and fingers can't quite keep up with thoughts. Or a letter key might be struck but not b registered on my talent for some reason.

Less we forget that me and others imbibe in an adult beverage or two while relaxing and enjoying out time at Twins Daily as well has to be considered. I can't stand laziness, but I think some are a little to worrisome about a bad auto correct or simple misspelling or bad or touchy keystroke or keyboard versus the actual context of what is being said as long as its not manifesting itself in what becomes a run-on sentence in whch the entire point is eventually lost on the reader from the sharer's original creative output.

But I agree that proper spelling of a person's name is just decent courtesy whenever possible.

Imagine how Kent Herbek must feel?

(wink)

4. These 5 users like DocBauer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Blackjack (03-03-2014), chuchadoro (03-03-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (03-03-2014), jokin (03-02-2014), TwinVike61 (03-02-2014)

Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    I am also someone whose fingers often get ahead of my brain. I've on occasion found myself typing "two" instead of "too", etc. I try to go back and re-read (and often go back and edit even after I've posted) but I know I still miss things sometimes.

But there seems to be a difference between that type of problem and repetitive misuse of certain words like lose-loose or your-you're, etc. Many of us screw up occasionally -- it's when I see it repetitively that I start to wonder. There are sites were "loose" or "loosing" is used more often than "lose" or "losing". (And if you want any even bigger complaint from me, it is the constant misuse of "myself" by a wide portion of the populace including many people regularly speaking on our television screens. It appears that "myself" is now a 1st person pronoun -- it makes me want to scream.)

I hold articles to a significantly higher standard than I do forum posts. I greatly appreciate the people who are creative enough and knowledgeable enough to write an article and I appreciate the time that they take to do so but I also believe that they need to take the time to double-check spelling and grammar. That is seldom a problem on TD -- the contributors are very good about creating good quality articles (content, grammar & spelling).

Overall, I believe the quality of the forum posts on Twins Daily are also superior to most sites. There seems to be more maturity in constructing posts than is present on many other sites.

I commented on grammar/spelling in this thread because that's what it's about. I have very rarely commented on it in normal threads where, for the most part, all I care about is whether I understand the ideas put forth.

(And I'll probably remember how to spell Parmelee from now on!)

6. These 3 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-03-2014), chuchadoro (03-03-2014), jokin (03-02-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    I was bored and annoyed that I read this thread in it's entirety and cannot get the lost time that I devoted to reading this thread back. Perhaps I will be lucky in the choice of the next thread I read and will not have to submit myself to reading non-baseball related topics on a baseball site. One can only hope....
    I can assure you that the moderation team takes seriously the issue of hijacking the topic of any thread. In fact, if genuine baseball discussion had broken out in a thread that started with an observation about a common misspelling of a player's name, I am sure warnings from the moderators would already have been liberally applied.

/ anyone notice ParmElee is batting .400 so far this spring?

8. These 5 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (03-02-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (03-03-2014), JB_Iowa (03-03-2014), Sconnie (03-02-2014), twinsnorth49 (03-03-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Noones mentioned apostrophe's yet.
    Wait. What? That guy from Herman's Hermits is getting in on these grammatical pecadillos, too?
    Last edited by jokin; 03-02-2014 at 07:59 PM.

10. These 3 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-02-2014), twinsnorth49 (03-03-2014), USAFChief (03-02-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I am also someone whose fingers often get ahead of my brain. I've on occasion found myself typing "two" instead of "too", etc. I try to go back and re-read (and often go back and edit even after I've posted) but I know I still miss things sometimes.

But there seems to be a difference between that type of problem and repetitive misuse of certain words like lose-loose or your-you're, etc. Many of us screw up occasionally -- it's when I see it repetitively that I start to wonder. There are sites were "loose" or "loosing" is used more often than "lose" or "losing". (And if you want any even bigger complaint from me, it is the constant misuse of "myself" by a wide portion of the populace including many people regularly speaking on our television screens. It appears that "myself" is now a 1st person pronoun -- it makes me want to scream.)

I hold articles to a significantly higher standard than I do forum posts. I greatly appreciate the people who are creative enough and knowledgeable enough to write an article and I appreciate the time that they take to do so but I also believe that they need to take the time to double-check spelling and grammar. That is seldom a problem on TD -- the contributors are very good about creating good quality articles (content, grammar & spelling).

Overall, I believe the quality of the forum posts on Twins Daily are also superior to most sites. There seems to be more maturity in constructing posts than is present on many other sites.

I commented on grammar/spelling in this thread because that's what it's about. I have very rarely commented on it in normal threads where, for the most part, all I care about is whether I understand the ideas put forth.

(And I'll probably remember how to spell Parmelee from now on!)
    The quality of the majority of the posts, gramatically and typographically speaking, on the TD site are often superior to those that post "professionally" on the StarTribune site. Mistakes made by paid writers in those venues really make my skin crawl.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    I am a poet, a writer, a former English major, etc. And proper grammar is a huge pet peeve of mine. Especially when speaking. However, with blogging not being a formal report or resume, I tend not to be too bothered by simple mistakes.

Forgetting for a moment just how complicated our language is, i can forgive punctuation mistakes. Blantant misuse of words is hard to take through. But, i no that word correction often mis-fires when I am rushing along and fingers can't quite keep up with thoughts. Or a letter key might be struck but not b registered on my talent for some reason.

Less we forget that me and others imbibe in an adult beverage or two while relaxing and enjoying out time at Twins Daily as well has to be considered. I can't stand laziness, but I think some are a little to worrisome about a bad auto correct or simple misspelling or bad or touchy keystroke or keyboard versus the actual context of what is being said as long as its not manifesting itself in what becomes a run-on sentence in whch the entire point is eventually lost on the reader from the sharer's original creative output.

But I agree that proper spelling of a person's name is just decent courtesy whenever possible.

Imagine how Kent Herbek must feel?

(wink)
    Caution. (Subtle) Genius at Work.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Less we forget that me and others imbibe in an adult beverage or two while relaxing and enjoying out time at Twins Daily as well has to be considered.
    mmmmmmm.... drunken posting.

14. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-03-2014)

Even though commenting on this thread welcomes considerable (and justified) scrutiny in all future posts I'll join in to offer my two cents. While it is agreeable that well-written posts/replies and blogs indicate greater effort in re-reading and editing oneself, let's not be haste to judge others as the vernacular of a poster who coveys emotion over writing ability has its own merit to be appreciated. For a humble Midwestern franchise like the Twins whose star player, head coach and GM speak solely in cliche I think Twinsdaily readers are doing just fine.

16. These 3 users like twinsin17's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-03-2014), JB_Iowa (03-03-2014), scottz (03-03-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Caution. (Subtle) Genius at Work.
    True. William Safire has apparently come back from the dead! And he shure know How To Write Good1.

1 Fumblerules

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    The purpose of posting is to have a conversation/discussion, however, it seems that many lose the intent by picking out the meaningless mistakes that "bother" the reader.
    As I read thru this thread I took a few notes - "snobiness", "laziness", "priorities", "lack of caring" are what I wrote down. Then I wondered if 'snobiness' was even a word, typed it into Google, no definition, so I typed in 'snob' and this came up -

"One who affects an offensive air of self-satisfied superiority in matters of taste or intellect."

Enough said about snobiness.

I think spelling and grammar boil down to priorities. A LOT of the posters here are aspiring writers and itís important to them. I wouldnít be surprised someday to see credits at the bottom of a post listing magazine, books, blogs, etc. that the poster has written. Quite a few others, myself included (should that be 'me or myself' -- I don't really care), are just here for some in-depth baseball info and will post a quick question or comment on occasion. If I see a misspelling in my post and can't figure it out, I will copy/paste the word into a spellchecker but grammar is a tougher nut to crack, spell checker won't always catch that. Same way with misspelled playerís names, I could go look them up, so yes I guess its laziness when I donít, but to me itís not a priority. The content of posts is my priority. Whether I type Parmalee or Parmelee, the readers will get the point.

I've participated in a lot of other forums concerning hunting, fishing, home improvement, etc. and this is the only one I've seen that gets so hung up on spelling and grammar vs. content of the posts. I do realize that grammar and spelling reflect on other posters view of you and your posts but not everyone is perfect and/or has had extensive training in English grammar.

Yes, I copied this post into a spellchecker and I see that snobiness is not a word but it does a fine job of conveying my point.

19. This user likes Blackjack's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsin17 (03-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    Meh, I will learn how to spell a person's last name correctly once they provide me a reason to remember it. Up to this point Parmelee, Parmalee or whatever hasn't given me a reason to think he will be a meaningful player to track over the coming years (I hope I am wrong)
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

21. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (03-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Poor grammar, misspellings, incorrect puncuation and failing to capitalize letters annoy me greatly.

That being said, there have been times I've proof read my own post three or four times and the next day I still found a mistake or at least a passage that I wish I would have written better. Unless I know my past posts are infallible I find it best not to critique, as surely some detective could come back and throw a past mistake of mine back in my face.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Poor grammar, misspellings, incorrect puncuation and failing to capitalize letters annoy me greatly.

That being said, there have been times I've proof read my own post three or four times and the next day I still found a mistake or at least a passage that I wish I would have written better. Unless I know my past posts are infallible I find it best not to critique, as surely some detective could come back and throw a past mistake of mine back in my face.
    Everybody makes mistakes. I certainly make my fair share of them.

But I think there's a big difference between making the occasional mistake and trying to correct it versus writing something that is borderline unintelligible, leaning back after a job well done, and smoking a cigar in celebration.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 266 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    100% agree... It's totally a respect thing.
    The other day Dan Gladden called Buxton "Brian". Maybe when this kid gets more national attention he will figure out his name?

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    writing something that is borderline unintelligible, leaning back after a job well done, and smoking a cigar in celebration.
    Honestly, has that been happening here?

I think we'd all agree if something is unintelligible it's far beyond the forgiveness/pettiness threshold.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Everybody makes mistakes. I certainly make my fair share of them.

But I think there's a big difference between making the occasional mistake and trying to correct it versus writing something that is borderline unintelligible, leaning back after a job well done, and smoking a cigar in celebration.
    I agree. I don't see too many egregious English offenses on this site. I've seen plenty of message boards that are utterly unreadable. We're pretty lucky here, there really aren't that many posts that you shake your head at. We seem to have a pretty articulate group. Or at least a group that puts a strong effort into what they post.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    The other day Dan Gladden called Buxton "Brian". Maybe when this kid gets more national attention he will figure out his name?
    Ha! I heard that too. Then, I'm 99% certain that he called him "Byron" later, only to correct himself and call him "Brian" again. Classic Dazzle.

Oddly enough, I once photoshopped Gladden's hair onto Buxton. It turned out great:

buxtongladden.jpg
    Last edited by Brad Swanson; 03-03-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: dope photoshop
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

28. These 2 users like Brad Swanson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

chuchadoro (03-03-2014), Willihammer (03-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish there were more Afro American skullets in baseball.

Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    I started this topic because Parmelee will be an oft-discussed player this spring and the misspelling of his name seemed to be spreading like a common cold.

While I agree with JB that there are much more egregious mistakes (lose, loose), I also agree with others that the comments at TD are constructed better than just about any sports-related site. I wouldn't bother with the comment section if it had the same quality of ESPN or YouTube. I also don't automatically discount what others write just because of a few errors. There are members whose opinions I respect because they know more about the game than I ever will. I am willing to overlook some mistakes because I am familiar with their work and because my writing is far from perfect.

That being said, I find the "my fingers move faster than my brain" justification tiresome. You just wrote 100 words, how long does it take to proofread? Don't make hundreds of others slog through your post just because you need your opinion known RIGHT NOW! We will still be here after you glance it over.

31. This user likes chuchadoro's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-03-2014)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast