Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: It's Official: Sano to have Tommy John Surgery

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only case where "time" could have been saved was back in late July last year (while he was a month into time at New Britian)...when he initially had that 'twinge' and just had surgery...but he played through it. At that point, if he had surgery, the most they could have hoped for was a few ABs at the end of the 2014. So it's a 'year' either way...better now...than Mid-July and he misses part of the season next year. It's still on the 'leading' edge of the season and hopefully this will help his hitting and defense that were somewhat in question at New Britian.

In other news...the Twins look great for the 2nd straight game. Pretty patient in working 0-2 counts to 3-2 and walks. Vargas had some nice line drives, Parmalee's Homer...

Pinto is a hitter...Radcliffe said he'll stay with the team and possibly DH even if he's not catching. "He's a hitter...he barrels the ball well."

Buxton is in the game now...just caught a fly to center...will leadoff the bottom half of the inning.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 03-01-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    The Twin's luck blows. Even when they have nice things (Mauer, Sano) they get hurt and have the beginning of their careers F'd up. That said, this would have been far worse a year from now. It's shocking that once again 'rest and rehab' failed the Twins in epic fashion. That never happens.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Well by that logic every 3rd baseman who ever had a sore elbow should just opt for TJ to avoid the inevitable.

The choice was obviously made to avoid what a leading surgeon felt might have been unnecessary surgery, additionally even if surgery was discussed as a possible option at the time we have no idea whether Sano wanted to commit to that. If that was indeed the case I have a hard time criticizing the Twins for not forcing him to undergo invasive surgery for the sake of putting butts in the seats.
    From what they are saying, TJ was never seriously considered until mid-November. If he'd had it then, he almost certainly wouldn't have seen MLB in 2014. The only difference is he might have gotten 1-2 months in a AA/AAA. That part is not a tragedy.

Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    From what they are saying, TJ was never seriously considered until mid-November. If he'd had it then, he almost certainly wouldn't have seen MLB in 2014. The only difference is he might have gotten 1-2 months in a AA/AAA. That part is not a tragedy.
    Yep.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Its official! time to put Buxton in a bubble wrap suit until he debuts in the majors!

Worst thing about this is it's one less reason (out of very few total) to care about watching the Twins THIS season. That said, they weren't going to be any good regardless so it doesn't hurt the team much long term (and maybe helps if he ends up being very good in his late 20's and they get an extra year of control out of him) IMO assuming he comes back from the procedure without any complications. I think it's encouraging the medical staff pulled the trigger rather than delaying the inevitable as they've done numerous times in the past. I was excited to watch him this year, but I'll be even more excited to watch him next year when they have a realistic chance of being decent.
    Last edited by JustinCB; 03-01-2014 at 03:40 PM.

7. This user likes JustinCB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by tcarlic View Post
    What pisses me off and saddens me about this situation is that if they knew it was partially torn in October (and rest RARELY working) why not have him have surgery then with the possibility of being back in July and definitely August and September? Antony sounds like an idiot in that interview on MLB.com. Eight months would not have lost him the 2014 season! Waiting until March does lose his season! ******* idiots! I know people complain about the coaching staff, but the medical staff needs to go IMO. They are hands-down the worst in the league. Enough is enough.

/rant
    Amen. my sentiment too. Also, they knew about it in October not November.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    So you believe the Twins should have ignored the advice of Dr. James Andrews?

Again, this makes zero sense. If you go to the guy who's the most highly respected in his field and he tells you to do something, you damned well better take his advice.
    i'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth, that being Dr. James Andrews. All we have heard is the Twins brass politicing, "well, Andrews said to rehab." Let's get a reporter on the phone with DJA. Bonnes?

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts
    Why would Dr. Andrews even pick up the phone -- let alone violate doctor-patient confidentiality?

11. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-01-2014)

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    This just bums me out. And Miguel has to feel terrible. It's just sad.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spoofbonser View Post
    Let's get a reporter on the phone with DJA. Bonnes?
    And how do we know who's on the other end of the phone line?

Bonnes is in Florida, or will be soon. He needs to drive up to Gulf Breeze. And he needs to drop in unannounced, otherwise the cabal will have time to hire a double to pose as the doctor.

For that matter, has anyone double checked with the state medical board that this so-called "doctor" is even licensed to practice, or has a degree?

14. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (03-02-2014), JB_Iowa (03-01-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    So...best case scenario is winter ball? Full recovery by next spring training?
    That's middle of the road scenario. Best case would be playing in the GCL (or at any level for that matter) as a DH in August and full recovery by winter ball.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth, that being Dr. James Andrews. All we have heard is the Twins brass politicing, "well, Andrews said to rehab." Let's get a reporter on the phone with DJA. Bonnes?
    Uh, doctor patient privilege.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Maybe you should call directly. Otherwise it will still be second-hand information.

18. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (03-01-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Uh, doctor patient privilege.
    Not such a thing That's lawer-client privilege and has to do with criminal proceedings

HIPAA confidentiality regulations you mean, likely. And those really have to do with diagnosis (i.e. linking a diagnosis to a person) and went out of the window when the Twins publicized Sano's injury (actually all players have that in their contracts regarding injuries, so the Twins or anyone else was not in any sort of violation there.)

To your point, Dr. Andrews or any other doctor do not have to publicize their treatment advise to their patients. In this case not because of legal things (as I said, that went out of the window), but because they simply can...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Such sad news, for the Twins, the fans, and of course, Miguel. But somewhere deep in Florida, Trevor Plouffe heaves a sigh of relief....

21. This user likes exrugger9's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-01-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Not such a thing That's lawer-client privilege and has to do with criminal proceedings

HIPAA confidentiality regulations you mean, likely. And those really have to do with diagnosis (i.e. linking a diagnosis to a person) and went out of the window when the Twins publicized Sano's injury (actually all players have that in their contracts regarding injuries, so the Twins or anyone else was not in any sort of violation there.)

To your point, Dr. Andrews or any other doctor do not have to publicize their treatment advise to their patients. In this case not because of legal things (as I said, that went out of the window), but because they simply can...
    I didn't mean in the legal sense (my wife's a lawyer so I know the federal government does not observe privilege), I meant in the sense that doctors, by and large, still respect the privilege.

But some states respect doctor patient privilege. Hard to say what would apply without looking it up.

Anyway, few doctors will talk about their patients and fewer will talk to journalists. Requesting information from the horse's mouth is silly.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    still need patients consent without a court order...

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    still need patients consent without a court order...
    It's a little tricky because the Twins announced the results. Hard to say what would apply here without being a lawyer.

Still, no doctor is going to speak publicly about it.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You know it's going to be another mediocre season when Blog commenters are rehashing Twins' management decisions on a 20 year-old kid who put in a decent half-season of AA ball.

Long way home people.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast