Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: It's Official: Sano to have Tommy John Surgery

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,266 Times in 677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alskntwnsfn View Post
    Raise your hand if you've played third base. I have. You have to make throws from odd angles all the time. That puts a lot of stress on your elbow. This was an issue last year. They knew about it. So given the demands of the position, why wait? Antony say's he doesn't regret waiting a few months, but doing it in August or September would have been a totally different thing.
    Well by that logic every 3rd baseman who ever had a sore elbow should just opt for TJ to avoid the inevitable.

The choice was obviously made to avoid what a leading surgeon felt might have been unnecessary surgery, additionally even if surgery was discussed as a possible option at the time we have no idea whether Sano wanted to commit to that. If that was indeed the case I have a hard time criticizing the Twins for not forcing him to undergo invasive surgery for the sake of putting butts in the seats.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    I'm sometimes critical of the Twins, but IMO there is nothing to criticize the Twins about in this case. Baseball players sometimes get hurt. They got the best medical advice available. What were they supposed to do differently?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

3. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (03-01-2014), Danchat (03-01-2014), mike wants wins (03-01-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Was it the Pirates (or some other org) that required all new draftees to go to boot camp? Well the Twins could have forced TJ surgery for all their new players. Cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Well by that logic every 3rd baseman who ever had a sore elbow should just opt for TJ to avoid the inevitable.

The choice was obviously made to avoid what a leading surgeon felt might have been unnecessary surgery, additionally even if surgery was discussed as a possible option at the time we have no idea whether Sano wanted to commit to that. If that was indeed the case I have a hard time criticizing the Twins for not forcing him to undergo invasive surgery for the sake of putting butts in the seats.
    There's a big difference between a sore elbow and a partially torn UCL. Yeah, I'd say any 3B with a significant UCL tear should get it taken care of at or near the end of the year.

Based on the interview with Miguel, he was surprised by the "decision" and didn't appear to have much of a say in the matter. This kid has been directed by handlers for most of his life, so I don't think he makes many decisions about his future yet.

Furthermore, Antony made an interesting comment about how he didn't injure it any worse, it just hasn't gotten any better. So basically, the Twins were not going to put that elbow in the show. I wonder if they told Miguel that last year?

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Was it the Pirates (or some other org) that required all new draftees to go to boot camp? Well the Twins could have forced TJ surgery for all their new players. Cutting edge.
    They wouldn't have had to force anything. If they would have communicated the fact that they were not going to put Sano in the show without being able to make certain throws, he would have gladly had the surgery. Doing it in August or September would have been good for the player and good for the organization. You should always try to miss the fewest games possible, now he'll miss the most possible. Way to go Twins. I really don't see how this reasoning is so provocative. Maybe this really is about the service clock... there's (potentially) 25 million reasons for waiting until just before he gets to the show to do it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Way to go Twins. I really don't see how this reasoning is so provocative.
    The reasoning is provocative because the most capable man in the field recommended that they not do what you suggested.

And it's generally a good idea to listen to people at the top of their field, particularly in situations as complex as medicine. That's all there is to it. I don't see how anyone can argue against that thinking.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Years ago now I read that one MLB organization did routinely require their young pitchers to have TJ surgery. Unfortunately I do not remember where I read that or which organization it was. Anyone else have a like memory, let us know if you did. It could also have been an erroneous report but I am positive I read it somewhere and was surprised when I did.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No surgery is 100% safe or 100% effective. You don't open up bodies and slice and dice unless you absolutely have to. You'd hate to hear of a surgery go wrong when it may not have been 100% necessary in the first place. The lost time really sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

Surgical procedures are performed when other conservative, non-invasive alternatives fail.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    So...best case scenario is winter ball? Full recovery by next spring training?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,266 Times in 677 Posts
    There's a big difference between a sore elbow and a partially torn UCL. Yeah, I'd say any 3B with a significant UCL tear should get it taken care of at or near the end of the year.

Based on the interview with Miguel, he was surprised by the "decision" and didn't appear to have much of a say in the matter. This kid has been directed by handlers for most of his life, so I don't think he makes many decisions about his future yet.

Furthermore, Antony made an interesting comment about how he didn't injure it any worse, it just hasn't gotten any better. So basically, the Twins were not going to put that elbow in the show. I wonder if they told Miguel that last year?
    Well the hope was it would get better and if it did he would be playing this season and likely be up with the Twins, that didn't work out , that's the way it goes sometimes. Again,, not sure how many more times it can be stated, they followed the advice of the leading surgeon in the field, how do you question that?

Yes there is a big difference between a sore elbow and a UCL tear , significant is up for debate. What we have essentially no data on is how many times a position player has been advised not to have surgery, instead opting for rest and having it work out positively. The Twins, the surgeon and possibly Sano and his agent wanted to avoid surgery, I don't see how anyone is at fault here.

Do we have a source that Andrews looked at it and recommended that rest would be the right direction?

What Ive seen today suggests that there has been absolutely no new injury and no change in the MRI from September.

Im wondering...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Count your chickens before they hatch. a hour early and a day late, it's the Twins way.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BHtwins View Post
    Do we have a source that Andrews looked at it and recommended that rest would be the right direction?

What Ive seen today suggests that there has been absolutely no new injury and no change in the MRI from September.

Im wondering...
    http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...vkey=news_milb

Although the UCL is often treated with Tommy John surgery, the Twins medical staff and Dr. James Andrews -- who examined Sano in Alabama -- are in agreement that Sano will not require an operation, MLB.com reported.

Here is a possible consequence of orthopaedic surgery: A person I know developed a Staff Infection after a normal orthopaedic procedure at a reputable facility. It became serious enough for him to be admitted to the ER and hospital for maybe ten days. He was a very sick boy. There were people in his family that belueved he may have been on the threshold of the end of his life. With super strong meds, he has gotten back home now but was informed he will take an antibiotic the rest of his life. That is but one example of surgical risk.

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts

When all is said and done, considering that Sano saw the leading doctor in the field, and followed his advice... if you are going to criticize the Twinkies on this one, you should probably look into your own dark heart, and wonder about regaining perspective.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Other leading candidates:

20. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (03-02-2014), JB_Iowa (03-01-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 657 Times in 370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyorev View Post
    When all is said and done, considering that Sano saw the leading doctor in the field, and followed his advice... if you are going to criticize the Twinkies on this one, you should probably look into your own dark heart, and wonder about regaining perspective.
    I think for many it's frustration out of what feels like a constant series of these sorts of things. I don't think the Twins are worthy of criticism here, but the frequency of these injuries has become frustrating whether it be incompetence or bad luck.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    This is why you can't wait for all your prospects to line up and be perfect. This is why you also do other things to get good. I just hope they don't say "no need to worry about 2015 now".....
    Our favorite team never panics, so you will never hear it from them. I would guess you will hear that sentiment attributed to them by members, but it will never hold up under close scrutiny. This not the first time an outstanding prospect has been injured and it's a long time until opening day 2015.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast