Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: It's Official: Sano to have Tommy John Surgery

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that Tampa Bay has consistently defied the odds on this one...
    According to the link posted earlier, Tampa has the same number of TJS as the Twins in recent yeas.

But we're dealing with such small numbers and so many variables that I don't know whether that means anything.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...-complete-list

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alskntwnsfn View Post
    The Twins knew there were problems with his elbow last year. This is another example of poor mgmt on the Twins part. Even if the doc says he doesn't "require" TJ surgery because he only has a partial tear, the only reasonable answer the Twins front office should have given is "well we are counting on him being our 3B for the next 8 years, so let's get this taken care of this winter before we really need him." There is no excuse for this situation. My bigger concern is that this could derail his development, both at the plate and in the field. It's not easy to stop hitting for 8 months then pick right up where you left off. Plus there's the weight thing he'll have to attend to.

This isn't a surprise. Both the surgery or the way the Twins handled it.

This team doesn't think far enough ahead and it doesn't analyze situations or players with much depth. Thank god for our scouting and minor league pitching/hitting coaches or we'd really be in trouble. IMO, the former deficiencies will prevent this team from bringing home a World Series Championship in the next 10 years, even though we have a stacked farm system that will get even better after this year's draft. How's that for spring optimism?
    So you believe the Twins should have ignored the advice of Dr. James Andrews?

Again, this makes zero sense. If you go to the guy who's the most highly respected in his field and he tells you to do something, you damned well better take his advice.

3. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (03-01-2014), benchwarmerjim (03-01-2014), JB_Iowa (03-01-2014)

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    So you believe the Twins should have ignored the advice of Dr. James Andrews?

Again, this makes zero sense. If you go to the guy who's the most highly respected in his field and he tells you to do something, you damned well better take his advice.
    Not just ignore the advice of Dr. Andrews but ignore that Sano (and his agent probably) also have some input on the long-term decision.

These decisions don't get made in a vacuum nor do the Twins have the total "say".
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 03-01-2014 at 11:23 AM.

5. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (03-01-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Someone mentioned that the Twins didn't need to place him on the 40 man roster. What are the implications if he is out all-season?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    Someone mentioned that the Twins didn't need to place him on the 40 man roster. What are the implications if he is out all-season?
    I believe he needs to be added to the 40 man next offseason no matter what happens. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm with you. He's the godfather of baseball player's elbows, but he gives you a medical opinion and you need to make a decision based on what's best for your organization. I would have asked him to handicap it for me. What are the odds he'll need TJ surgery in the next 5 years? If it's more than a 10% chance, then do the surgery. Given the large number of players who don't avoid the knife with rest, I'm sure Dr. Andrews would have said it was higher. See, from the doc's point of view he probably reasons, well there's a 50/50 or even slightly less chance he may not need surgery, so lets wait. But the team has to consider their situation.

We would have stood to lose VERY little by doing the surgery last September. We were sucking and we knew we probably weren't contending this year anyway but it certainly would be nice to put some butts in the seats in 2014. (If they had done the surgery) Miguel wouldn't have lost any development time during the season, he just would have been rehabbing during the offseason and he'd be in camp getting ready for the 2014 season - instead of losing it completely.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Since baseball players are human beings (and not automatons), an invasive surgery will be the last resort for any ethical doctor.

10. These 3 users like PseudoSABR's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (03-01-2014), benchwarmerjim (03-01-2014), JB_Iowa (03-01-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Since baseball players are human beings (and not automatons), an invasive surgery will be the last resort for any ethical doctor.
    I heard they even have to swear to an oath about such things.

12. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Not just ignore the advice of Dr. Andrews but ignore that Sano (and his agent probably) also have some input on the long-term decision.

These decisions don't get made in a vacuum nor do the Twins have the total "say".
    Tell the agent, that's fine (you can opt not to have the surgery) if you'd rather take the chance of starting your client's service time clock in 2015 or 2016 as opposed to 2014. We'd love to have him for an extra year assuming his career plays out like we think.

Maybe that was their thinking all along? If Carl were still in charge, maybe, but the team has not pinch pennies in quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    What's invasive about fixing a partially torn ligament you're going to need healthy for the next 18 years?

Pelotero está dañado
    (Ballplayer is damaged)

I was sad last night when I first learned that Sano was probably headed to Tommy John after MRI results this morning, and now it's confirmed that he will be sitting out the 2014 season. I'm glad that they didn't sit on it for months to see if he could play with it and THEN go through surgery later in the spring or summer.

Hoping he has a speedy and successful recovery.

I'm with you. He's the godfather of baseball player's elbows, but he gives you a medical opinion and you need to make a decision based on what's best for your organization. .
    Sano's rights as a human being totally trump what's best for the team. I imagine he and he alone is the only one who could elect to have an invasive surgery not recommended by doctors.

17. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (03-01-2014)

What's invasive about fixing a partially torn ligament you're going to need healthy for the next 18 years?
    All surgery is invasive. (TJ requires anesthesia; which is inherently risky.) If it wasn't, there would never be any hesitation. You're totally disregarding medical ethics here.

Say It Ain't SanO.....

This setback may actually be a blessing in disguise because of the time to reflect on what may be lost and the desire to keep what is rightfully yours.

Mentally - Bigger, Faster, Stronger

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,948 Times in 1,139 Posts
    I'm with you. He's the godfather of baseball player's elbows, but he gives you a medical opinion and you need to make a decision based on what's best for your organization. I would have asked him to handicap it for me. What are the odds he'll need TJ surgery in the next 5 years? If it's more than a 10% chance, then do the surgery. Given the large number of players who don't avoid the knife with rest, I'm sure Dr. Andrews would have said it was higher. See, from the doc's point of view he probably reasons, well there's a 50/50 or even slightly less chance he may not need surgery, so lets wait. But the team has to consider their situation.

We would have stood to lose VERY little by doing the surgery last September. We were sucking and we knew we probably weren't contending this year anyway but it certainly would be nice to put some butts in the seats in 2014. (If they had done the surgery) Miguel wouldn't have lost any development time during the season, he just would have been rehabbing during the offseason and he'd be in camp getting ready for the 2014 season - instead of losing it completely.
    Who's to say they didn't? I don't assume that we are told absolutely everything in how a decision is made. While it's frustrating and I have questions, I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that decisions were made without all the information possible.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    My only real concern here is that he manages his weight and stays in condition during the rehab period. Since pitchers often come back stronger after TJ I don't fret about the arm. More the legs.

Raise your hand if you've played third base. I have. You have to make throws from odd angles all the time. That puts a lot of stress on your elbow. This was an issue last year. They knew about it. So given the demands of the position, why wait? Antony say's he doesn't regret waiting a few months, but doing it in August or September would have been a totally different thing.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Man, this kinda ruined my day. It feels like 2014 is gonna be another lost season.
    It got worse when I realized this locks Plouffe in 3B for a good chunk of the season. However, if he keeps playing like he did last year, he'll play his way out of a job and maybe Escobar/waiver claim will take his place.

At least it wasn't Meyer hurting his arm or Buxton tearing his ACL. But I have more reasons not to watch the Twins this year now.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Raise your hand if you've played third base. I have. You have to make throws from odd angles all the time. That puts a lot of stress on your elbow. This was an issue last year. They knew about it. So given the demands of the position, why wait? Antony say's he doesn't regret waiting a few months, but doing it in August or September would have been a totally different thing.
    For all we know, Sano said no.

And that's the point. We don't know anything about the situation other than the outcome.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    This is why you can't wait for all your prospects to line up and be perfect. This is why you also do other things to get good. I just hope they don't say "no need to worry about 2015 now".....

26. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

sandbun (03-01-2014)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast