Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: It's Official: Sano to have Tommy John Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    *Alex Meyer waves frantically from Ft Myers, yelling "me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me!"*
    Wasn't that a shoulder injury? kind of apples and oranges

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    @JB
    I suppose that is a silver lining. I'm sure the rehab is pretty grueling though.
    I have no idea if the following description of rehab is correct but you are right that it seems pretty intense:

http://www.yougoprobaseball.com/tomm...and-rehab.html

But it also would be a little different than his regular baseball regimen so perhaps it would give him a bit of a mental break.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,604 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Since71 View Post
    Not blaming this at all on the Twins Med staff/trainers but doesn't it seem like the Twins have had an unusually high number of TJ surgeries?
    TJS is pretty common among players nowadays. I remember KC had a rash of surgeries a couple years back.

Most teams go through this, it just seems particularly frustrating for the Twins because they've been hit with some of their best players and prospects going down in recent years (Liriano, Baker, Gibson, now Sano).

It stings a lot more when your good players go down... Not so much the Alex Wimmers of the world.

Yeah you are right it has been some of their best players and that is probably why it stands out more
    TJS is pretty common among players nowadays. I remember KC had a rash of surgeries a couple years back.

Most teams go through this, it just seems particularly frustrating for the Twins because they've been hit with some of their best players and prospects going down in recent years (Liriano, Baker, Gibson, now Sano).

It stings a lot more when your good players go down... Not so much the Alex Wimmers of the world.

Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    *Alex Meyer waves frantically from Ft Myers, yelling "me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me!"*
    That's a shoulder injury. Surgeries are very invasive and to avoided when possible when it comes to that.

edit: Not that TJ isn't invasive, but they have that down to a science nowadays.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It worked with Meyer. At least we hope he doesn't have trouble this year . . .

Moving towards a lost Twins season. A key thing for my interest this year was Sano in June.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    All the best to him.

And I hope that this gives him a mental break as well as a physical one. One of the things his agent noted yesterday was that he hadn't "had any time off since he was 15" and that the injury may have been due (at least in part) to the stress placed on his arm in his youth.

If he hasn't had a physical break, he probably hasn't had a mental break either so a few weeks away from baseball might be a good thing before he gears up again to work on the things that Thrylos mentioned.

Is this what he or the Twins or any of us would have wanted to happen? Of course not. But now that it has happened, they need to make the best of it.
    Exactly what I was thinking. A test of his patience but a chance to see the game from a new perspective too.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh, man. That's so depressing. Sano was one of the big reasons to be optimistic that the Twins could put together a better record than projected in 2014.

Taking the long view, my big concern is just that he can still play third base on the other end of this surgery. I don't know how much this sort of procedure and recovery increases his chances of moving to first base--I don't know enough of the history with position players having it--but I'm more concerned about it not hampering his fielding long-term than I am with his timetable being delayed, as disappointing as that is.

While part of the "rash" is undoubtedly due to medical advances (many of the prospects/players would have just faded away longer ago), I have to wonder if the occurrence so early in so many careers isn't due somewhat to the intensity of youth sports. (Even in my small town, a group of parents have developed a more intense baseball program for kids they expect to excel).

There was an article the other day about the advantages of kids participating in a variety of sports while young (referencing Buxton, Mauer, etc). Have to wonder if it isn't better for them not only in developing a variety of tools (the point of the column) but also because varying up activities may prevent repetitive stress.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dance with Disco Dan View Post
    I must admit, though, I am having a hard time thinking of many position-player TJ cases.
    I dug around a little bit, and the following position players all had TJ:
    Mike Aviles
    Dustin Ackley
    Shin-Soo Choo
    Zach Cozart
    Carl Crawford
    Matt Holliday
    Cesar Izturis
    Kelly Johnson
    Xavier Nady
    Luke Scott

Top-100-ish Prospects:
    Hak-Ju Lee
    Rymer Liriano

11. These 2 users like markos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dance with Disco Dan (03-01-2014), JB_Iowa (03-01-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,943 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Sigh. I got out of bed to read this? I'm going back to bed.

13. These 4 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-01-2014), mahukey1 (03-01-2014), snepp (03-01-2014), USAFChief (03-01-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Paul Molitor. At least he will be able to counsel Miguel during his rehab.

Furcal.

Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    From Rhett Bollinger: "The MRI found a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in Sano's right elbow. He didn't re-injure it. It just didn't get better."

..I promise I'll stop playing armchair doctor soon.

But...did they not do periodic MRIs to make sure it was healing? Did they give him an MRI before he started throwing again? If not, I don't get it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    That's a shoulder injury. Surgeries are very invasive and to avoided when possible when it comes to that.

edit: Not that TJ isn't invasive, but they have that down to a science nowadays.
    Nevertheless, you have to listen to your doctor's advice, particularly when he's the most respected man in the field. If the doctor says no surgery, you don't get surgery.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    While part of the "rash" is undoubtedly due to medical advances (many of the prospects/players would have just faded away longer ago), I have to wonder if the occurrence so early in so many careers isn't due somewhat to the intensity of youth sports. (Even in my small town, a group of parents have developed a more intense baseball program for kids they expect to excel).

There was an article the other day about the advantages of kids participating in a variety of sports while young (referencing Buxton, Mauer, etc). Have to wonder if it isn't better for them not only in developing a variety of tools (the point of the column) but also because varying up activities may prevent repetitive stress.
    I think this is a real problem and have read several studies/articles that suggest the same.

Throwing a baseball is a very unnatural motion on the shoulder and elbow. Exposing still-growing children to the rigors of it in competition can't lead to good results. It doesn't take anything more than common sense to see that.

I think this is evidenced in the old baseball saying "throw 95 at age 18, throw 85 at age 22", or however it went. Basically, if you're throwing unnaturally hard at a young age, the common wisdom was that you'd often see a significant drop in velocity as you matured.

18. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-01-2014)

Sad news for Twins fans.

But this is one reason why you don't add someone to the 40 man roster before it's necessary.

21. This user likes DuluthFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

markos (03-01-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When they say they aren't worried about not having surgery sooner seems dumb to me. Whether he misses the whole 2014 season or not. The sooner he has the surgery the farther from it he'll be in 2015.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Now that we know the offensive cavalry isn't coming this year, should the Twins look harder at signing Drew?

Junior Member Rookie SouthDakotaFarmer's Avatar
    Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lets just hope he doesn't get fat and lose his nimbleness and ability to play the hot corner.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast