Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Sano's Agent (and roommate, I think):

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...-than-nothing/

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins handled it perfectly to this point...

Now we can just hope for the best, whether that's surgery or not.

Here is Berardino's update, including discouraging comments from Sano's agent, Rob Plummer.

You can really see the different stages of loss in the commentsenial, anger, bargaining, etc. I'm at depression. Why can't we have anything nice?

5. These 2 users like dgwills's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-28-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (02-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The Twins handled it perfectly to this point...

Now we can just hope for the best, whether that's surgery or not.

Here is Berardino's update, including discouraging comments from Sano's agent, Rob Plummer.

For all the angst about the Twins' doctors, I don't think I trust Dr. Plummer's diagnosis at all.

Meanwhile...."Here we go, Trevor, here we go!" <clap, clap> "Here we go, Trevor, here we go!"

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    I hope they don't play the wait and see game.

When was the last time that worked??

8. This user likes drock2190's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-28-2014)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Man This is really disheartening stuff, The worst thing now is if the Twins are in that grey area or on the fence about which direction to choose:

1: Rest AND ReHab. (which lets face it, ultimately could just dely the inevitable)

2: Have an actual surgery.

It seems like those are the only options, in which i'd stess with #2 the timing and decision on the actual surgery is very carefully chosen.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Either way it looks like much of if NOT ALL OF Miguel's 2014 is a lost season.

Rosario has the short end of it it turns out.

Miguel should not play a single game in 2014, if he's not 100% healthy.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    I have often been as skeptical as most of the Twins medical and training staff but I really don't think there is anything to be critical about here.

As stated in the Berardino blog:

There was some discussion between Sano’s camp and the Twins about having Tommy John surgery at that point, which might have put him back on a field sometime during the first half of the 2014 season.

Sano traveled to the Twin Cities for a full exam in November and also went to see noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. The decision was made at that time to keep Sano shut down from all throwing until his elbow improved with rest.

For anyone who has been living in a cave and hasn't heard Dr. Andrews' name previously, here's an interesting interview with him: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/t...andrews-011414

He is basically the "gold standard" of orthopedic surgeons. Despite all of the advances in medicine, there is still a lot of "art" to go along with the science especially when it comes to diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

I've had several relatives and friends who died either in routine surgery or shortly thereafter -- these were otherwise healthy people who died of reactions to tests, untreatable post-op infection, etc.

NO SURGERY is entirely without risk -- even for someone young and healthy. And yes, there have been players for whom the "wait and see" game has worked. We just don't hear about them as often as those who undergo the knife.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    I hope they don't play the wait and see game.

When was the last time that worked??
    Meyer.

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Rest and rehab.... Followed by tjs!!!
    So sad and hopefully not true but based an prior history probably is...big sigh

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Meyer.
    Uh oh. Now youve gone and done it.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

15. These 7 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-28-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (02-28-2014), glunn (02-28-2014), johnnydakota (02-28-2014), raindog (02-28-2014), snepp (02-28-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Meyer.
    I wouldn't say hes out of the clear yet. Lets see how this year goes and if he stays healthy, he should be fine going forward.

17. This user likes drock2190's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-28-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meyer.
    That was his shoulder, not the UCL. With the shoulder, definitely rest is the right way... that surgery has a lot more uncertainty than Tommy John.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    That's the problem when someone ask for the "Last Time" instead of "How many times". I'd guess 4 out of 5 times it seems to go down the surgery road. Sano will be fine. If surgery, this is a 7-9 month thing, and I'd even be fine with them waiting a couple months before testing it out as well. People (before the tweak)who were hoping for All Star Break this year were too optimistic anyway. IMO. September call up, sure. But he's doesn't even need to be on the 40 man yet.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I believe TJ surgery for players is a faster recovery time. He might be able to play in Sept or early the AFL (if he were eligible).
    Well...
    If he has surgery, the soonest he will be able to play is in the Dominican Winter League. They do not need to add him to the 40 man roster, so unless they are competing and need his bat as a DH/PH to get them over the edge, they will not not do it. And, no, he is not eligible for the AFL. He can hit a bit and catch the ball and work on his footwork and fielding but not throw with this. So he will probably spend time in EST and maybe rehab at GCL if doing well.

I would just give it some time to see what the MRI will show instead of thinking of the worst case scenario.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    "But it is another valuable lesson about counting chickens......"

Concur. Let's hope it's a short lesson.
    To me, there is a big difference between counting chickens and counting one chicken.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    To me, there is a big difference between counting chickens and counting one chicken.
    You're right, this one chicken is a gold egg layer. So it matters a lot more than your average chicken.

Of all of our young hopefuls, this is the one I want to work out the most. But if you're waiting for all of these prospects to workout and the parades to start next year, you're entitled to your belief but it is in complete opposition to the odds. So let's just all hope that this is a minor setback for this major chicken and the odds effect players far less important to our future.

23. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (02-28-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Especially when you start numbering the chickens and putting them in urns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelvefold_way

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,603 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins had Sano examined by Dr. Andrews after the elbow pain first popped up. He said that rest and rehab was the best solution.

Short of sacrificing a goat in front of an ancient temple and fasting for six months, I'm not really sure what else people expected the team to do. They did all they could to handle this situation the right way. Criticizing the team doctors for Sano is seriously misguided and wrong-headed.

26. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (02-28-2014), JB_Iowa (02-28-2014), maxisagod (02-28-2014)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast