Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks looking for C (Pinto?) for SS (Owens/Didi).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    While I don't disagree with the statement itself, neither Gregorius or Owings are even remotely close to what I'd consider elite.

Just for comparison sake, one of these is Gregorius the other is Florimon:

Player A 2013: 403 AB / 44 Runs / 9 HR / 44 RBI / .221 Avg / .281 OBP / .611 OPS / 2.1 WAR
    Player B 2013: 357 AB / 47 Runs / 7 HR / 28 RBI / .252 Avg / .332 OBP / .705 OPS / 1.4 WAR

Player A minors (7 seasons): 2556 AB / 341 Runs / 32 HR / 275 RBI / .249 Avg / .321 OBP / .675 OPS
    Player B minors (6 seasons): 1766 AB / 236 Runs / 22 HR / 168 RBI / .273 Avg / .324 OBP / .705 OPS
    So what you're saying is that Gregorius would be an upgrade over Florimon without even factoring in that he's three years younger and has plenty of room to grow. Gregorius' fWAR was 1.3 to Florimon's 1.4 despite playing fewer games.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I don't think either of them will be elite, but I don't really think Pinto will be elite either.
    I also don't disagree with this statement. I do disagree with the idea of a 1-1 swap of Pinto for Gregorius, but don't have enough insight on Owings to make much of a judgement call on that one.

Senior Member Double-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    So what you're saying is that Gregorius would be a massive upgrade over Florimon without even factoring in that he's three years younger and has plenty of room to grow.
    I guess, if thats how you see it. I guess I'm just not that high on Gregorius as real solution to SS as some of you. It makes us a bit better at SS, sure, but a lot worse at catcher in the meantime.

Edit: also, the major league numbers are a pretty small sample. The minor league numbers, I certainly wouldn't say Gregorius is showing he's necessarily a "massive upgrade"

Senior Member Double-A
    I think maybe my posting of the stats was misinterpreted. I'm not disputing that Gregorius is the better/higher upside player. I'm just saying, trading a potentially decent offensive catcher for another SS with a crappy bat doesn't seem like much of a net positive when you look at their numbers, and then you consider all of Pinto's ABs would now be going to Herrmann, Fryer, and Suzuki.

Part of the question also depends heavily on what you think are realistic expectations for Pinto moving forward. I'm sure if you think last year was a fluke for him, then these trades probably sound great. If you think he can put up similar numbers as last year, probably sounds awful. If you're somewhere in the middle, like me, then probably just depends which way you're leaning.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,596 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess, if thats how you see it. I guess I'm just not that high on Gregorius as real solution to SS as some of you. It makes us a bit better at SS, sure, but a lot worse at catcher in the meantime.

Edit: also, the major league numbers are a pretty small sample. The minor league numbers, I certainly wouldn't say Gregorius is showing he's necessarily a "massive upgrade"
    I'm not sold on Gregorius, either. I don't even know if I'd trade him for Pinto.

But Florimon is a bad starter. A very, very bad starter. The guy makes an out over 70% of the time he comes to the plate.

6. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Gene Larkin Fan Club (02-28-2014), jokin (02-27-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Suzuki is worse than Floriman.....and he'd be your starter, followed by Fryer.

new SS and those catchers?
    floriman and Pinto?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    But Florimon is a bad starter. A very, very bad starter. The guy makes an out over 70% of the time he comes to the plate.
    Yeah, I don't think that part of the discussion is up for debate.

Another way you have to look at it: We've been SPOILED ROTTEN with who our catcher has been the past decade basically. Most of that time we've had a great 1-2 with Morneau mashing HR's. Now our offensive star catcher is moving to 1B without as much firepower. We are in an offensive deficit compared to even last year. If Pinto shows up and holds his own in the majors, we're still not back to even. Keep our Catchers.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I think it will be far easier to find a catcher via FA or develop one in our minors; than it is to get an elite SS. I'm not sure that Pinto has the defensive chops to be the Twins everyday catcher. Might as well capitalize on his perceived value...
    If that is true, why would the Diamondbacks make that trade then?

And I think that you are severely underestimating Pinto's Defense...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Yeah, Tulo is going to be a 200 million type guy.
    Tulo isn't a free agent until 2020 at the earliest although it wouldn't surprise me if he is traded in the next couple seasons.

12. This user likes Tecmo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

B Richard (02-27-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 818 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This would be trading from a position of weakness to fill a position of weakness. We really aren't good partners here.

14. These 3 users like diehardtwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (02-27-2014), jokin (02-27-2014), USAFChief (02-27-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Player A is Pedro Florimon, Player B is Didi Gregorius.
    Oops! As deservedly highly regarded as Didi is in the field, his bat has always been, and always will be, a major question mark, notwithstanding the 3 year difference in age. Excellent statistical illustration S.!

And I actually would greatly prefer Gregorius over Florimon, but the logic of trading away the "possible answer" for one of the Twins positional black holes for another of the black holes escapes me completely.

If the D-Backs are really willing to make this deal, it means they must regard the trade for Gregorius in the first place as an overall failure- let alone to somehow assume that he be regarded as somehow, "elite". (They traded away a BA #9 Starting Pitching prospect to Cleveland in a 3-way deal). By signing Drew and giving up nothing except a 2nd Rd. pick, it gives the Twins the chance to buy ample time to see if one of their prospects is going to be the long-term answer, or if they need to seek another major league option somewhere farther down the road. If they do find the right candidate, Drew would then make an excellent 2B option as he approaches 35- to the Twins or someone else.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-27-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Tulowitski is a pipe dream. Guess who will be looking for a SS next year? Hint: they can afford anybody.
    Allow me to clarify-- I meant Tulo would be a better target than Drew for sustained success in the future.

Regardless, I honestly don't think we even know how the FO will spend when this team enters its window of contention. Suppressing payroll in the rebuilding process is hardly proof that TR/the Pohlads will be gun-shy when this team starts its run.

EDIT: ah, my apologies, I had run across an article that suggested Tulo would be an acquisition target, not a potential FA signing. My apologies for my own general buffoonery.

FWIW, the Yanks definitely don't have the pieces to acquire Tulo. We might... whether we should or not is an entirely different question.
    Last edited by B Richard; 02-27-2014 at 08:40 PM. Reason: General Buffoonery
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Drew hasn't his above .253 since 2010. If he was anything but a shortstop, nobody would be petitioning so vociferously to sign him.

I still think Florimon's defense will offset any improvements Drew might provide offensively.

18. This user likes Monkeypaws's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Gene Larkin Fan Club (02-28-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Drew hasn't his above .253 since 2010. If he was anything but a shortstop, nobody would be petitioning so vociferously to sign him.

I still think Florimon's defense will offset any improvements Drew might provide offensively.
    BA is not an accurate descriptor of the qualitative difference between the two players, and Drew's injury years are easily thrown out of the equation. The 2013 yawning gap of 166 points between Drew's OPS of .777 versus Florimon's .611 OPS more than offsets the defensive differences, and then some by quite a bit, as reflected in the 2+ game fWAR difference between the 2 players.

20. These 3 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

GCTF (02-27-2014), mike wants wins (02-28-2014), snepp (02-27-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    A lot of the posters on various Twins' subjects seem to automatically assume the Twins will make their "run". Granted there is a lot of young talent coming along now but that does not necessarily translate into a decent "run". What the rest of the division does plays huge in that in my mind.

22. This user likes oldguy10's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-28-2014)

Batting average absolutely is the most overrated stat. I remember a few years ago Cuddyer said as much. I took it as a shot at Mauer. He liked to take subtle shots at Mauer from time to time. There was another time Cuddy got HBP square in the hand and was back in the lineup the next day. Mauer was out at the time nursing a hangnail and Cuddy took another subtle shot at him and later apologized to Mauer. Good ole Cuddyer loved to stir things up!
    Last edited by Marta Shearing; 02-27-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Batting average absolutely is the most overrated stat. I remember a few years ago Cuddyer said as much. I took it as a shot at Mauer. He liked to take subtle shots at Mauer from time to time. There was another time Cuddy got HBP square in the hand and was back in the lineup the next day. Mauer was out at the time nursing a hangnail and Cuddy took another subtle shot at him and later apologized to Mauer. Good ole Cuddyer loved to stir things up!
    We get it, you don't like Mauer.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

25. These 2 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Gene Larkin Fan Club (02-28-2014), snepp (02-28-2014)

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    There's no reason to panic.

If Pinto is going to be a good MLB hitter and hold his own defensively, then we might as well keep him and offer contracts to FA SS's next off season or until someone signs. JJ Hardy is going to be a free agent next off season and there will also be other options over the next couple of years. There will also be other trade options as well.

Most of the young guys are still in the minors and / or still trying to establish themselves as MLB players. There's plenty of time to get a SS, if and when the Twins are ready to move on from Florimon.

27. This user likes Reider's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Blackjack (02-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get this. You don't create one hole to fill another. Pinto is the future. There's no one else in the pipeline.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

29. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (03-01-2014), Sconnie (02-28-2014)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast