Thread: 13 Pitchers????

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries

13 Pitchers????

I've seen references to the Twins carrying 13 pitchers in print. While I don't doubt the sources, I hope the Twins are trying to keep the market for their out-of-options guys warm. The top returning starter is Correia, who threw 185 innings last year and has a solid record of durability. They added three starters, all of whom are viewed as durable innings-eaters--Pelfrey in his second year after TJ, who is 30 and has four seasons with more than 180 innings, Hughes, and Nolasco, who has exceeded 180 innings in four of the last five years. They figure to have at least Swarzak in a long reliever role. I just don't see the necessity of having eight guys in the bullpen.

The rationale, of course, is to keep Deduno, Diamond, and Worley on the 25-man roster. If two of these guys are in the bullpen, the Twins would have essentially three long relievers. That is all ridiculous if the goal is to bring the best possible roster north with the tools to win the most games.

Of course, a lot could happen in the meantime. People could get hurt, guys can implode and pitch their way off the roster, or trades can be made. However, if nothing really changes, there will be too many pitchers (out-of-options) for too few spots. A fourth bench player would be much more beneficial that an eighth bullpen arm.

2. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-27-2014)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    If our favorite team needs to bring up 13 pitchers for a week here and there, in order to showcase one to make a trade etc., I don't think it's any big deal. I'm hoping some of our vets show well early so we can deal them off. If this was a win now situation, we could have easily dealt our top prospects and been the talk of the baseball world. I'm much more concerned with what the team looks like in September than coming out of ST.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect someone will start out on the DL... That's pretty normal unfortunately, but also the nature of baseball. That would solve a lot of issues. If not, my guess is Deduno is in the pen, Worley starts, Gibson is in AAA, and Diamond gets a DFA.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I suspect someone will start out on the DL... That's pretty normal unfortunately, but also the nature of baseball. That would solve a lot of issues. If not, my guess is Deduno is in the pen, Worley starts, Gibson is in AAA, and Diamond gets a DFA.
    Any of the pitchers can play LF in case a game goes to 20 innings? I've seen in the NL when pitchers are pinch hit for

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    Any of the pitchers can play LF in case a game goes to 20 innings?
    I suspect some of them can play LF at least as well as Willingham
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

7. These 4 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (02-27-2014), IdahoPilgrim (02-27-2014), johnnydakota (02-27-2014), mike wants wins (02-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That makes for an alarming bench. Escobar, Herrmann, Presley (if Hicks is up with Twins)?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    That makes for an alarming bench. Escobar, Herrmann, Presley (if Hicks is up with Twins)?
    You may be giving the bench too much credit. You may have to substitute Herrmann for Fryer.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    You may be giving the bench too much credit. You may have to substitute Herrmann for Fryer.
    Well, Herrmann is opposite-hitting from Suzuki and can play the OF corners pretty well. Suzuki is the "defensive" catcher, so it would seem odd to have Fryer involved instead of Herrmann.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Well, Herrmann is opposite-hitting from Suzuki and can play the OF corners pretty well. Suzuki is the "defensive" catcher, so it would seem odd to have Fryer involved instead of Herrmann.
    I guess from my perspective, "odd" seems to be the key descriptive term to the catching configuration around here most years.

Not that I'm endorssing the move.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 181 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The top returning starter is Correia, who threw 185 innings last year and has a solid record of durability. They added three starters, all of whom are viewed as durable innings-eaters--Pelfrey in his second year after TJ, who is 30 and has four seasons with more than 180 innings, Hughes, and Nolasco, who has exceeded 180 innings in four of the last five years.
    I prefer 12 pitchers max too, but remember, Correia's 185 IP basically matched his career high rate, and Hughes and Pelfrey had historically low IP/GS figures last year. And there's still the wide open 5th starter spot. They may become rotation of durable innings-eaters, but they're not there yet.

Besides, the bullpen is probably the best and deepest part of the team right now. The 8th guy in this bullpen might indeed provide more MLB value than the likely options for 13th position player.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Which area was worse for the Twins: Hitting or Pitching?

Which will be the weakest when they break: our hitting or our pitching?

Might decide who gets the "extra" player...

Liked 365 Times in 206 Posts
    So much bad to decide among.

But it does seem like they did something to improve the pitching .... and not much (if anything) to improve the hitting.

I think this may well be decided by the option situation, etc. but if all of those things are disregarded, I'd say 12 pitchers only.

15. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-27-2014)

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Which area was worse for the Twins: Hitting or Pitching?

Which will be the weakest when they break: our hitting or our pitching?

Might decide who gets the "extra" player...
    I think you can make a case for the hitting improving on its own with young guys improving and some regression to the mean with the vets... the pitching on the other hand needed fixing outside the org.

Personally, I don't see there hardly ever being a good reason to have a pitching staff of 13 guys, especially at the beginning of the year when there are more breaks in the schedule. I'd take the bat.

Liked 365 Times in 206 Posts
    This is kind of irrelevant to this thread but I couldn't figure out where else to put it and it is some of the best news I've read :

And more on the same theme:

18. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (02-28-2014)