Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Position Battle: Catcher

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    levi....to me its about more at bats from their best hitter, not that he'll hit better......though that is possible.
    That's probably true, but people lump them both together more than is fair to do. And that has been particularly true when we are trying to project the offense relative to last year.

I think people need to at least recognize that C/1B/DH could be an enormous downgrade this year if Pinto isn't ready or has a rough adjustment period to full-time duties. It might be even if he comes up and does ok.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 853 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    That's probably true, but people lump them both together more than is fair to do. And that has been particularly true when we are trying to project the offense relative to last year.

Kudos to an excellent point. I think people need to at least recognize that C/1B/DH could be an enormous downgrade this year if Pinto isn't ready or has a rough adjustment period to full-time duties. It might be even if he comes up and does ok.
    We had this debate on another thread, much like the trading of Span and Revere without a backup plan to Hicks ended up creating a huge hole in the 2013 lineup, the loss of Morneau has also not been adequately replaced with a meaningful backup plan for 2014- and there is a degree of denial, hope and wishcasting on the part of Twins management and some fans. Some combination of 5 major question marks: Pinto, Kubel, Parmelee, Colabello, Willingham- has to REALLY come thorugh to avoid the C/1B/DH from being an "enormous downgrade" year over year.

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Does anybody else feel a little guilty about sending Pinto back to AAA? If catcher careers are shorter and more volatile than other positions (witness our two catchers who more or less quit catching last season), every day Pinto's not in MLB at this point doesn't help his financial outlook. I don't know what his original signing bonus was, but it probably wasn't much -- I don't recall him being a well-known international prospect. And he's been making minor league wages since. Heck, for the talk of his winter ball shoulder issue, he probably has to play winter ball just to make ends meet (and if he's catching during winter ball, that just adds to the risk).

Maybe I've been thinking too much about that lawsuit by the minor leaguers recently... but I'm inclined to let Pinto play in MLB now. He's not young anymore, and he's hit at every level. It just doesn't seem to right to send him down for further refinement (while we conveniently pause his service time clock). Suzuki can spell him a few days a week, and he and the MLB pitchers can probably provide Pinto with more mentorship than their AAA counterparts.
    Spot on post. I just do not understand why the Twins are so intent on him starting the season in AAA. Why not finish his development at the major league level? Because it could cost them making the playoffs? Ridiculous.

Then we got Antony on the radio basically calling him fat. And when he said Friar was the most polished catcher on the team I almost punched my radio. He's got no business in the major leagues. Him making the team is an organizational embarrassment.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 853 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Spot on post. I just do not understand why the Twins are so intent on him starting the season in AAA. Why not finish his development at the major league level? Because it could cost them making the playoffs? Ridiculous.

Then we got Antony on the radio basically calling him fat. And when he said Friar was the most polished catcher on the team I almost punched my radio. He's got no business in the major leagues.

Him making the team is an organizational embarrassment.
    It wouldn't be the first time. Drew Buter says "Hi".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 328 Times in 206 Posts
    Blog Entries

Then we got Antony on the radio basically calling him fat. And when he said Friar was the most polished catcher on the team I almost punched my radio. He's got no business in the major leagues. Him making the team is an organizational embarrassment.
    I'm not offended by some Fryer love -- he's my irrational favorite Twin now, and he may be a low average guy, but he at least draws some walks and has enough power to keep pitchers honest. Career .762 OPS in the minors, was .704 at AAA last year despite a .215 AVG. With defense, he could become a perfectly acceptable MLB backup.

By comparison, Butera was a .607 OPS minor leaguer, with a .561 at AAA. Almost regardless of his defensive rep, it was borderline criminal for him to be the extent of our catching depth behind Mauer.

We're agreed on Pinto, though. No reason Suzuki has to be the starter, even to open the season.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Pinto has played 19 games at AAA; it's completely sensible to start him at AAA.

7. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (02-28-2014)

Even considering how well he hit for the Twins last year? He's the 3rd best hitter on the team behind mauer and Arcia.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Even considering how well he hit for the Twins last year? He's the 3rd best hitter on the team behind mauer and Arcia.
    In 21 games. Remember Parmelee's hot September?

Let's see how he does once he's been exposed to the league a couple times and the scouting reports on him are well circulated.

10. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (02-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 328 Times in 206 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Pinto has played 19 games at AAA; it's completely sensible to start him at AAA.
    Arcia played 10 games at AAA before he became our second best hitter (admittedly a low bar last year ). And he hadn't even turned 22.

What number of games is a 25 year old player required to play in AAA before he can be promoted?

Why not just let him compete for the job this spring? Shouldn't our front office and coaches be able to identify and avoid a potential 2012 Dozier or 2013 Hicks without arbitrarily assigning levels based on games played?

12. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (02-28-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Arcia played 10 games at AAA before he became our second best hitter (admittedly a low bar last year ). And he hadn't even turned 22.

What number of games is a 25 year old player required to play in AAA before he can be promoted?

Why not just let him compete for the job this spring? Shouldn't our front office and coaches be able to identify and avoid a potential 2012 Dozier or 2013 Hicks without arbitrarily assigning levels based on games played?
    completely sensible >> arbitrarily assigning levels

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123