Thread: Jason Bartlett preparing for outfield duty

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jason Bartlett preparing for outfield duty

According to the Star Tribune's LaVelle E Neal, the Twins are having Jason Bartlett take fly balls in the outfield as preparation for a potential utility player role. The former shortstop/second baseman has not played an inning in the outfield in either the major or minor league levels.
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Interesting. He's surely got the range, and I'd guess he should be able to at least be competent. Looks like the Twins are trying to create their own Emilio Bonifacio.

It would be nice if Bartlett became a usebale OF, simply because the Twins bench players tend to be so offensively challenged. I would certainly welcome the opportunity for one player to fill the spot normally assigned to an Escobar and a Mastroianni. The extra bench spot could then be used on a bat.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have penciled in Bartlett as the 25th man. In order for him to make the team, he needs to be more than a shortstop and he needs to hit. I know he's been taking grounders all around the infield and both he and Escobar are being told to take fly balls. I wouldn't mind having JB back if he can hit like he did for the Rays and play all around the diamond.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wonder if this will have the same outcome as Mastroianni taking reps at 2B a couple of springs ago.

5. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (02-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I have penciled in Bartlett as the 25th man. In order for him to make the team, he needs to be more than a shortstop and he needs to hit. I know he's been taking grounders all around the infield and both he and Escobar are being told to take fly balls. I wouldn't mind having JB back if he can hit like he did for the Rays and play all around the diamond.
    Well Escobar and Mastroianni can't hit anyway. Regardless if it's Escobar or Bartlett, I'd be quite happy if the team had a no-hit super utility guy that made the 5th (or 6th) no-hit OF unnecessary.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Its probably just me, but I'd prefer not giving OF reps to 34 yr old career infielders with .700 career OPS' s who haven't hit that number since 2009 and who last had a MLB PA in 2012.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

8. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Wonder if this will have the same outcome as Mastroianni taking reps at 2B a couple of springs ago.
    True, but without upsetting former outfielders (and I was one) it seems to be a much easier transition. Afterall, Josh Willingham is about to start his third opening day in LF for the Twins.

10. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-25-2014)

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Its probably just me, but I'd prefer not giving OF reps to 34 yr old career infielders with .700 career OPS' s who haven't hit that number since 2009 and who last had a MLB PA in 2012.
    This is shortsighted. How else are you going to carry 9 bullpen arms?

12. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    But isn't that better than giving reps to both a middle infielder with a .589 career OPS and an OF with a .609 OPS? I'm all for it if it makes Escobar and Mastroianni expendable.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    This is shortsighted. How else are you going to carry 9 bullpen arms?
    good point. It will help ensure the team fails to reach 600 runs scored to boot, setting them up nicely for the deep 2015 draft.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

15. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-25-2014), johnnydakota (02-25-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Its not just you. Bartlett has no business playing outfield on a major league roster. The only reason its being considered is this front office's incompetence in putting ACTUAL outfield options on the roster with a glut of DH's and crappy hitting catchers. If Bartlett wasn't a former Twin this move would make this team a laughingstock. But because we must have Minnesota ties to everything, it gets a pass.

Just sign Jacques Jones and be done with it. He's a more viable option.

17. These 2 users like savvyspy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-25-2014), USAFChief (02-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I have penciled in Bartlett as the 25th man.
    You may have penciled in Bartlett as 25th man, but it would appear the Twins have him in ink.

I haven't read the story yet. Hopefully this is just a guy shagging fly balls for fun (Bartlett) and a reporter idly looking for something to write about. Hopefully.

19. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    I think Bartlett can be as good of a corner outfielder as Chris Herrmann... who played 25 games in a corner outfield spot last year. Blech.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really don't see what the big deal is. Might as well give it a shot. If he can play some OF its more versatility. If it doesn't work out ohh well. Remember this is spring training, they can experiment.
    I bent my wookie...