Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jack Barrie, Australia

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Got some confirmation from Aussie sources who know both players: He looks like a Righty Mike Gonzales with equal "ability" on the field, but has more power than Gonzales. Time will tell. Nothing bad about getting another HR hitter on the team
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Just because I didn't see anybody else post it yet. Mike Berardino wrote a brief article on the signing.
    http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...r-jack-barrie/

A few highlights:
    - Had a great showcase at the Under-18 national championships in January that put him on the map.
    - At least 3 other teams wanted to sign him.
    - Got closer to 250,000
    - He's going to be a 1st Baseman.
    - Expected to Start in the GCL this year.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    nick, even this is a bit of an unfair characterization. Lewin Diaz was the 10th-ranked guy. I think the year before, they signed Minier (#7?) and Silva (#22?). Asking for more than that is just not fair. Their spending history in the international market has been excellent dating back several years, and our prospect pipeline provides plenty of evidence that it was intelligent spending to boot.
    I think MLB.com had Minier at #2 even.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 375 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    So the Twins should care if there is less dissent because they got who the public wanted? the Twins top prospect list is full of guys that were signed for less 1M. Sometimes there is a top guy but most of these guys are so speculative that it's typically better to get quantity rather than a couple of top tier guys.

I think the twins have done quite well adding a lot of young talent to the system instead of betting on a couple top tier guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    nick, even this is a bit of an unfair characterization. Lewin Diaz was the 10th-ranked guy. I think the year before, they signed Minier (#7?) and Silva (#22?). Asking for more than that is just not fair. Their spending history in the international market has been excellent dating back several years, and our prospect pipeline provides plenty of evidence that it was intelligent spending to boot.
    Keep piling on guys. Nice. I clearly stated that I wasn't judging the method. I was just clarifying what I believed to be the root of the dissent among some fans, that being many fans would prefer the Twins go stronger after the Latin players, who generally go early.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    As I understand it the dissent is that the Twins didn't sign the top Baseball America int'l free agents THIS year. I'm not at all concerned if the Twins don't satisfy these types of dissenters. And the Twins shouldn't be concerned at all about these types of dissenters.

6. These 3 users like kab21's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (02-26-2014), Major Leauge Ready (02-27-2014), Seth Stohs (02-25-2014)

Here is an article that my co worker wrote from the December Showcase.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=9257
    Love my God Daughter, Love Baseball, Love Twitter , I Love Golfing.

-I use to think Drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    BA had a write up on him today complete with some nice video of him crushing the ball in Ft Myers.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...n-jack-barrie/

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KOHG View Post
    Simple, compact, short swing, with great bat speed, and power. That's a swing the can translate well over higher levels. What if anything did they say about his pitch recognition. I suppose we won't have a better idea until he moves on to higher levels. You take that kids frame, bat speed, short powerful simple compact swing, and any type of plate recognition you might just have something. Prediction: he is going to move up the prospect ranking very very fast. I like this signing. Do we know which scout scouted him?
    That is a pretty nice looking swing.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    BA had a write up on him today complete with some nice video of him crushing the ball in Ft Myers.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...n-jack-barrie/
    Also of him pitching. It reminds me not to apply for a job as a scout, I can't tell the difference between prospect and non-.

Does his swing look a little like Tori Hunter?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12