Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sano's Over/Under For Being Sent to Minor League Camp

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    Give me the over, too. At least long enough that I will invest in whoever makes the icepacks and heating pads that are applied to Plouffe's neck from all that looking over his shoulder.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    If he goes off at an insane clip, say he goes yard every 6th at bat for 7 or 8 games, they keep him around to see if his performance demands consideration to be brought up north. I do not expect this, however.

They need to get both Plouffe & Sano ready for the start of the season and unless they reconfigure the diamond, they can't have 2 third basemen in the lineup together. Sano goes down early unless some unusual circumstance (injury, etc,) dictate he stays. 3/10 but called back on split roster days.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that he will probably stay longer. But there is no way he breaks camp with the team, and he shouldn't. He won't in part because of the Hicks debacle.

That Hicks decision was terrible, and shows organizational decision making at its absolute worst. The management wanted to believe he was ready, and let a good year at AA and a few good days at Spring Training, (after a roller coaster minor league career) reinforce their theory and convince them it was a good decision. It was also in part reaction about the fact that they traded Span and Revere. The fact he was going to be the starter was obvious early in ST.

It could have worked out. But there was a strong chance it would work out terribly, as it did. On the other hand, starting him at AAA had zero possible negative outcomes; if he rakes, he saves a year of service time and is called up in two months, and if he stinks, it is obvious he needs more time at AAA.

The decision-making resembles the Hardy trade, frankly. After a frustrating first year at Target Field, management latched on to two ideas and can't be convinced otherwise: Hardy is always injured, and TF is so big they need to inject speed in their lineup. Once they got wedded to these ides, it quickly became obvious Hardy was going to be traded and no one was convincing them otherwise.

It it appears to me that Gardy was a key figure in both of these decisions.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My point is that I hope the very important upcoming decisions about Miguel Sano are made based on strategic planning, and not based on reactionary reflexes to short-term events. (And perhaps they need some more "the emperor has no clothes" voices in their decision-making processes.)

I'm hoping for OVER. The 20th at the earliest since the Twins games will be televised the 16th, 17th, and the 19th. I'd like to see him take a few hacks live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12