Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Position Battle: Fifth Starter

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This will be a focus throughout spring training. On field performance is just one component IMHO. It is going to take good managin' and general managin' to provide depth, allow talent to move forward, and put the best possible rotation together.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    The Twins are going to have to cut bait with at least one of these guys, whether it's in spring training or a couple months into the season. They'll need to open up a spot for Gibson sooner than later IMO.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Gibson isn't young.....really wish that Pelfrey money was spent otherwise.....but he'll just sit in AAA for another half year, losing his value to the team, since his value is in actually playing in the majors. Sigh.

I think Worley wins the spot.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Gibson isn't young.....really wish that Pelfrey money was spent otherwise.....but he'll just sit in AAA for another half year, losing his value to the team, since his value is in actually playing in the majors. Sigh.

I think Worley wins the spot.
    His value is coming up and staying up and becoming the 2-3 the Twins project him to be. Does it really matter if it takes another month or so?

Senior Member MVP
    Nope, not if it takes a month or so. But my money is on the rotation they have and Worley, with Meyer and Gibson watching for at least half a year. If they think that is likely this year, why sign Pelfrey?
    Lighten up Francis....

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    Nope, not if it takes a month or so. But my money is on the rotation they have and Worley, with Meyer and Gibson watching for at least half a year. If they think that is likely this year, why sign Pelfrey?
    When have the Twins ever maintained the same five starters they opened with for half a year?

8. This user likes Nick Nelson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (02-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you on Swarzak. He posted a 2.91 ERA over 96 innings in 2013, and a 1.16 WHIP. More importantly, Swarzy survived Twinsfest with no wrestling injuries! Worley or Diamond can swap places with him in long relief. Either Pelfrey, Hughes, Nolasco, or Correia will extend their time in Florida with a sore shoulder or a pulled hammy. I also wonder what Deduno could do out of the pen, not unlike the Perkins conversion.

Senior Member MVP
    I don't think we are going to agree. They have plenty of guys in AAA that could take Pelfrey's spot, I don't agree with the signing when you already have Deduno, Gibson, Meyer, Diamond, the lefty guy who's name I can't recall...I count 5 guys fighting for 2 spots. IMO, and I am not trying to convince anyone I am right, that's plenty, and that money and roster spot could have been used otherwise. We just disagree. No harm in that.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it will be Deduno if healthy, Worley to the pen(he has worked there before) and Diamond to the waiver wire. That will be the best Twins result.

I think 5th starter spot is Worley's to lose given his NL record. I also suspect somebody will come up with a sore arm, hammy or shoulder which will give Diamond/Deduno a shot. The Twins should trade somebody when Meyer is ready (or Gibson).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    I don't think there will be a 5th starter. I think there will be a rotation of 4 starters, 4 spot-starters/long relief, 4 short relief/set-up/LOOGY, and 1 closer. There will be plenty of starts for the "spot" guys to display their wares and allow the flexibility to use a LHP (or RHP) based on match-up consideration as well as "go with the hot hand", yet provide cover for not reusing a "spot" guy because he had a poor game. The cover story is "options", flexibility to permit Gardenhire to use anybody he wants without a media circus due to using someone else to start a game. We have heard many times the word "options" with respect to pitching (plus this was the tactic used ten years ago). There really isn't a "defined" #5 guy anyway, so why claim there is one?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My prediction is that Diamond wins the fifth spot.

As for Swarzak being in the rotation, I would do the opposite and put him into higher leverage innings out of the bullpen.

He was devastating against right handed batters last year.

4.56 K/BB 57.0 GB% .540 OPS against 2.02 FIP

He doesn't have a weapon against left handed batters so he's more exposed as a starter and his fastball/curve plays up out of the pen. He might be able to add a tick or two on the fastball as well in shorter outings.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    At this point, there are 3 injuries that have to happen before Gibson likely gets a shot. Possibly more if they were to decide Gilmartin, Johnson, or someone of that ilk is unexpectedly given preference.

I was really hoping we'd see the payoff from allowing him to sample the bigs last year and come in ready from the start this year. It's disappointing we may have to wait awhile to see that and who we have to watch in the meantime.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    I don't think we are going to agree. They have plenty of guys in AAA that could take Pelfrey's spot, I don't agree with the signing when you already have Deduno, Gibson, Meyer, Diamond, the lefty guy who's name I can't recall...I count 5 guys fighting for 2 spots. IMO, and I am not trying to convince anyone I am right, that's plenty, and that money and roster spot could have been used otherwise. We just disagree. No harm in that.
    For what it's worth, I agree with you.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    At this point, there are 3 injuries that have to happen before Gibson likely gets a shot. Possibly more if they were to decide Gilmartin, Johnson, or someone of that ilk is unexpectedly given preference.

I was really hoping we'd see the payoff from allowing him to sample the bigs last year and come in ready from the start this year. It's disappointing we may have to wait awhile to see that and who we have to watch in the meantime.
    I'm guessing Gibson is the first man up. By my count he's one injury or a poor start of the season by whomever wins the 5th spot away from Target Field. If the unthinkable happens and all 5 starters are healthy and having careers years, he may have to wait for Correia to be dealt.
    Last edited by howieramone; 02-21-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Good write-up Nick.

I'm rooting for the Vanimal. Deduno to the pen. I'm afraid Diamond will be the odd-man out.

My best hope for Gibson is that the Twins flip Correia for an asset at some point, and Gibson has pitched lights out in AAA.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I'm guessing Gibson is the first man up. By my count he's one injury or a poor start of the season by whomever wins the 5th spot away from Target Field. If the unthinkable happens and all 5 starters are healthy and having careers years, he may have to wait for Correia to be dealt.
    He's also behind Worley, Diamond, and Deduno. Possibly also Swarzak, Gilmartin, Johnson. Remember, I said 3 injuries before he gets a spot and those first three are all very possibly ahead of him on the "if someone gets injured" list.

At some point Gibson needs to learn how to get big leaguers out. It's disappointing to not get to see that all year and even more disappointing why he's not getting that chance.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 02-21-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Which sadly brings up the question of why TR signed Correia for 2 years again.

21. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (02-21-2014)

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    He's also behind Worley, Diamond, and Deduno. Possibly also Swarzak, Gilmartin, Johnson. Remember, I said 3 injuries before he gets a spot and those first three are all very possibly ahead of him on the "if someone gets injured" list.
    Worley, Diamond and Deduno are only ahead of Gibson because of their contract situations, and that will all get sorted out at the start of the season. I'd say that as long as he starts well in Triple-A, Gibson will likely be first in line to sub in.

Are people actually concerned about finding space for a deserving pitcher? Too much rotation stability would be a nice problem to have.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast