Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Position Battle: Starting Center Fielder

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Position Battle: Starting Centerfield

I think it should be Hicks in CF, Presley in LF and Arcia in RF and use Willingham as a DH only. They need his bat more than his mediocre fielding. Or Hicks in CF, Arcia in LF and Colabello, Parmelee or Ramirez in RF

3. This user likes TC Stunner's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-24-2014)

The bigger question maybe does Hicks starts with Twins or in AAA? They probably want him starting in AAA rather than backing up in majors.

My bet is we see Hicks start at triple A for the season. We won't see Buxton until September call up. If Hicks starts to handle Triple A or there is injury then we will see Hicks with the Twins.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    If Hicks makes the Twins I don't think it will be as backup. I would say he needs to put up similar ST numbers to the ones he posted last year and then just hope he gets off to a better start in regular season. I also think Willingham is much better suited for DH but if Sano makes the team I can easily see a Plouffe, Kubel platoon at DH. I have a hard time getting excited about Pressley but if he can hit .283 and get on base a third of the time it would be a big improvement over Hicks start a year ago.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope they cut bait with Wilkin. I'm sure he's got *some* value to someone in the right role, but I don't like the idea of him taking away at bats from younger guys who may (however unlikely) have a role on the next winning team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    If Hicks makes the Twins I don't think it will be as backup. I would say he needs to put up similar ST numbers to the ones he posted last year and then just hope he gets off to a better start in regular season. I also think Willingham is much better suited for DH but if Sano makes the team I can easily see a Plouffe, Kubel platoon at DH. I have a hard time getting excited about Pressley but if he can hit .283 and get on base a third of the time it would be a big improvement over Hicks start a year ago.
    If Sano makes the team Id rather put Ploufe in the OF and have Willingham and Kubel DH. I don't want to see Willingham anywhere near the outfield. He's mediocre at best out there, he's getting up there in age and is injury prone. I still wish they traded Willingham after his killer first season with the Twins. He put up career numbers and his value was never gonna be higher.

Hicks has potential tools that Presley can't match. I think if he hadn't started out 1 - 50, things would have been much different. Let him play. He should be in the Twins outfield for the next decade. He is Ben Revere in the field but with a cannon arm.

10. This user likes wagwan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mikecgrimes (02-20-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevening View Post
    The bigger question maybe does Hicks starts with Twins or in AAA? They probably want him starting in AAA rather than backing up in majors.
    Absolutely. Hicks is still young enough and has a ton of potential that he needs to be playing. If I wasn't clear about that, I apologize.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ask yourself the question I did above: What do you think Aaron Hicks needs to do, or needs to show, to be the starting centerfielder?
    I think that the question that needs to be asked is: Who will give the Twins a better possibility to win if the starting Centerfielder?

To me Presley looks like a clone of the Thomases, Mastroiannis, Komatsus, Repkos, Pridies, Tyners et. al that Gardy and Terry for some reason like to have on the team so much, but in reality they are AAAA guys that should be used for PR and defense. Hicks can be special. In my mind there is no question who should start (or who will give the Twins the best probability of winning...)

They already do not have a bat at SS, looks like they might opt for not having one at C, if they don't have one at CF, we might be looking at another long season, despite the rotation improvement...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I remember well the struggles Tori Hunter went through before he finally stuck in the show. Hicks ability to have good at bats deteriorated as he struggled with MLB Pitching. If I was the manager I would be looking for increased maturity as a hitter from him. I would also be looking for better routes being taken to the ball and be seeing fewer spectacular plays that are the result of poor fundamentals. Finally I would also be looking for him separating his hitting from his fielding. In other words not allowing mistakes to carry over from one part of his game to the other. If he does this and the Twins see him and Presley on the same field he will win the starting job. Hicks hitting .260 with a .320 OB and .410 slugging is more valuable than Presley.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    [QUOTE;]What do you think Aaron Hicks needs to do, or needs to show, to be the starting centerfielder?[/QUOTE]

After the goose egg he laid last season I think he has to have a spring as good or better than last year AND Pressley would need to play poorly or get hurt if order for Hicks to be the starting centerfielder on opening day.

Let the natural progression take place. Let him go down to AAA and prove that he's ready, get some confidence, someone on the big league club will get hurt by May 15, bring him up then. Or by June 1 Parmalee or Ploufe or Willingham will prove that they have trade value or should be dumped, do it, and then bring Hicks up.

When he does come up, keep him out of the leadoff spot in the lineup, let him bat eighth, get some confidence that he CAN hit big league pitching. He proved last year that it’s a big jump to the big leagues, bring him along slower, let him get some confidence.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    There isn't any competition for the starting CF job--it's Presley. His only competition was Mastroianni--and he was DFA'd. Hicks--he goes to Rochester. I expect an early trip for Hicks to the minor league training camp. Hicks will spend months at Rochester--and maybe all year. It depends on the performances of Presley and Arcia as well as for Hicks. This year I expect to see veterans up-and-down the active roster--the youth "had better get after it"--or else its back to Rochester.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presley is what he is, Mastroianni (if healthy) is what he is. They are both fourth OFs capable of playing center field. Hicks has the tools to be very good and earn a job as a center fielder somewhere. The performance was bad last year and all but guarantees him a trip to Rochester to start the season. I expect him up by Memorial Day and I hope he establishes himself to be a major league hitter and plus defender. Presley starts the season in center leading off, but is supplanted pretty early.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Thrylos on this one, but I don't know if the Twins are. If they want to have any chance at being competitive this year, they need the matured version of Aaron Hicks. Presley's ceiling isn't high enough with the other holes in our lineup. His floor also isn't as low as Hicks's would appear to be, so I suspect they'll play it safe and go with Presley anyway.

Personally, I can understand the logic that he should start at AAA and earn his way up, but I'd rather see the team playing for the terrific future than playing for the mediocre now. I'd keep Hicks and Presley on the roster and cut ties with Mastro (and I say that as a fan of Mastro's from his 2012 season). Give Hicks all the starts against lefties, and maybe split the starts against righties between Hicks and Presley, but make sure that Hicks is getting playing time in the majors to start the season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I honestly don't even think it should be a competition. Give the job to Hicks and go. It took Torii Hunter playing with the MLB team a bunch before he ever figured out how to hit (never was much of a hitter anywhere in the minors until AAA when he already had 140+ MLB games under his belt). I think the same will play out here, as has been demonstrated by Hicks' path through the minors. It takes him some time to get accustomed to the pitching, then he's just fine.

All the other options are nothing but AAAA or bench 4th outfielders. To me, there is absolutely zero point to giving them the job on a team that is still going to be relatively bad, you're not gaining anything by doing so. Sure, they may put up a better batting line for a while, but there is no potential even close to what Hicks brings for the long term, which is where they should be looking.

I love the comment "I'd rather see the team playing for the terrific future than playing for the mediocre now." from above. I agree 100%.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like competition. Add in Buxton breathing down everyone's neck and I think all 3 will bring their A game. Will be fun to watch play out.

Mastro and Presley are 4th OF at best. However, one will open the season as the starting CF while we wait for Buxton. Put Hicks at Rochester and let him play every day (I would have him play RF cause that's where he will be playing in 2015 in Target Field.) If Hicks is doing well at Rochester around memorial day, bring him up but play him, don't let him get splinters from the pine. If he isn't doing well, give him the year at Rochester.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    I'll be surprised if Hicks doesn't stay in AAA at least until May/June. That said I'll be surprised if he's not up by July.

It's not like he's learned all he can there, in fact I would argue he has a lot to learn there. He dominated AA but has very little AAA experience. Hopefully it will do him some good to get a little success there and he can come up with a bit more confidence.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    I honestly don't even think it should be a competition. Give the job to Hicks and go. It took Torii Hunter playing with the MLB team a bunch before he ever figured out how to hit (never was much of a hitter anywhere in the minors until AAA when he already had 140+ MLB games under his belt). I think the same will play out here, as has been demonstrated by Hicks' path through the minors. It takes him some time to get accustomed to the pitching, then he's just fine.

All the other options are nothing but AAAA or bench 4th outfielders. To me, there is absolutely zero point to giving them the job on a team that is still going to be relatively bad, you're not gaining anything by doing so. Sure, they may put up a better batting line for a while, but there is no potential even close to what Hicks brings for the long term, which is where they should be looking.

I love the comment "I'd rather see the team playing for the terrific future than playing for the mediocre now." from above. I agree 100%.
    This is good. I don't think there really should be any competition either. Getting some proper MLB seasoning this year Hicks, Arcia, and Pinto so 2015 is not just the unseasoned youth movement with Buxton, Rosario, and Santana. Presley is a solid improvement . . . . over the 4th OFs in recent memory. I do like the idea of Presley getting some time in LF and letting Willingham DH.

23. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-24-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast