Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Position Battle: Starting Center Fielder

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 754 Times in 468 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presley showed in the minors that he's a pretty decent hitter. It hasn't translated to the majors, but when I saw him play in Indy, he was quite good. I get that it doesn't necessarily translate but given that the Twins won't be competing, I think they give Presley an extended look in the majors to prove he belongs, at which point he's probably traded for something a lot better than an aging Morneau. Otherwise, he's a 4th OF, and I'm fine with that too.

I think Hicks shoudl be put in AAA. I don't care of he hits .800 in ST with a homerun every game. He did quite well last year and did not do well once the season began. I'd rather him play against easier competition and master that and then promote him once he's earned it.

If Hicks makes the Twins, what are the chances that Gardy sits him a bunch because he's not a veteran like Presley?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presley is a decent stop gap and fourth outfielder. But he has little long-term value as a starter. Hicks might not be the starting center fielder next year, but he should get his chance this year. As some have said, how soon? My question is, why not on opening day?

I don't think you look at history for your decision. You look at the present. Side by side, Hicks is the better player now and the much better player by the end of the year. If he's stronger, he could become the kind of corner outfielder next year that we haven't had since Shane Mack: Great range, arm and a power stick.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I really want Hicks to be the starting CF. Especially with Willingham likely to play at least some OF and Arcia likely to be starting in RF. His defense will be needed even if his bat is still struggling. But I really like the idea of Willingham being the primary DH and guys like Kubel, Parmelee, and/or Presley getting most of those OF starts.

I think Hicks can get the job. He's got the talent and after his horrific start did start putting together competent ABs during his time with the Twins. Let him work with Brunansky for the full season and play fantastic defnese for a team that has enough flyball pitchers that we'll need his range and arm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 96 Times in 70 Posts
    Hicks isn't the future CF. Will he be adequate at a corner? We will have to wait and see. Please consider the oh-so-many top prospects the Twins have and then ask: "who stays?, who plays?, and who leaves? Guys are stacking-up in the minors and this must be the last year to indulge in the use of place-holders. I understand the FO taking steps to avoid another 90-game losing season, as well as the assuaging the manager with veteran-players. But they simply can't sing the same refrain about "the best minor league system"--and then not play them. There are very few who care about the W/L records at the affliates--they want to see the Twins win! The minor leagues can be left to their own devices.

Aaron Hicks needs to be at AAA, Presley can be a leadoff hitter, this will be the biggest advantage to him starting the season as the starter. If Presley isn't starting, who on this club can leadoff, nobody!! It's really this simple!

Don't you want Hicks to step up grab the CF job by the throat? Anything short of that and you have to believe that he is on the outside looking in on their long term plans. With Buxton and potentially Rosario no more than a year away, he has to prove he is a major league player now. If he doesn't make the club, he better rake in AAA and be up no later than June. Anything less and it may be time to start looking elsewhere.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    what are our choices?look to win 74 games with Veterans who wont be here in a year or 2, or develope our kids and win 60 games and see who is part of the future and who isint? Isint that part of rebuilding? 1 of my questions I have for this off season .... where are our new Magic beans?where are our new Meyers and May? Are we done rebuilding, do we have ALL the pieces to the future? then why havent we added any this off season?

So I say if hicks is hitting this spring bring him north and let him play , either he does well and stays, or we end up using presley and send the kid back to AAA,either way we see if he is ready and he gains experience

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When Buxton takes over CF, and presuming Hicks is worthy, then is Hicks better suited for LF (to take advantage of his speed in covering more ground) or RF (to take advantage of his arm)???????????

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    When Buxton takes over CF, and presuming Hicks is worthy, then is Hicks better suited for LF (to take advantage of his speed in covering more ground) or RF (to take advantage of his arm)???????????
    I think it depends on the other options. If Arcia is the 3rd OF, I'd want Hicks in LF to cover more space... plus, Arcia has a strong arm. If Rosario is the third OF, I would want Hicks in RF because of his arm, but also because Rosario would have very good range.

Clear as mud?

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aaron Hicks should start in AAA, when he proves he can hit there then bring him up. His defense is ready, but his bat is lagging behind. I wonder if he'll continue to switch hit despite his terrible splits.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe that the best reason to start Hicks in AAA is to get him confident in himself. A lot of AAA pitchers have been in MLB. He hits them and he should be confident he can hit MLB pitching.

When he is back in the major leagues I want him to succeed!
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

13. This user likes Oldgoat_MN's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (02-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I believe that the best reason to start Hicks in AAA is to get him confident in himself. A lot of AAA pitchers have been in MLB. He hits them and he should be confident he can hit MLB pitching.

When he is back in the major leagues I want him to succeed!
    Why all the handholding? If he is a major leaguer, he needs to start playing with confidence and smarts now. We know he has the baseball IQ, he needs to play with confidence and resolve. There is little to gain from a stint at AAA.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macneil4025 View Post
    Aaron Hicks needs to be at AAA, Presley can be a leadoff hitter, this will be the biggest advantage to him starting the season as the starter. If Presley isn't starting, who on this club can leadoff, nobody!! It's really this simple!
    There are arguably 6-8 spots in the batting order where the twins are lacking so who bats lead off is only the beginning of their troubles. I'd start Hicks in CF but would not bat him lead off. He's got talent just needs to catch a few breaks and build some confidence.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I want Hicks in CF batting 8th. Presley would be the 4th OF (backup CF against good RHP, defensive sub for Willingham). Dozier can leadoff and Mauer #2 until/if Hicks shows he can slide up. I agree that Hicks needs to show he can play this year before Buxton pushes him aside.

17. This user likes Physics Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (02-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 96 Times in 70 Posts
    My preference isn't Presley, but I'm sure he will be the starter. I would start Hicks, but given how the roster was built for ST, I believe things will be veteran-friendly. The plan is to avoid losing 90 games and that's why lots of money was spent on FA pitchers and guys like Kubel, Bartlett and Suzuki were added. Veterans, guys "who have won before", guys who will "get after it", you get my drift.

I think we should do whatever is best for Hick's development, whatever that might be. My preference would be to watch him play as I don't care for AP. However, he has been a slow starter so it might be best to start him in Rochester. IMO ... This whole season needs to be about team development and asset management. I could care less if we win 75 vs 72 games if the team progresses toward a much better team in 2015.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTwinsFan View Post
    Why all the handholding? If he is a major leaguer, he needs to start playing with confidence and smarts now. We know he has the baseball IQ, he needs to play with confidence and resolve. There is little to gain from a stint at AAA.
    Its not hand holding, its development. We all want Hicks to be our centerfielder but the real question is what is best for his development? I see no harm in letting him build some confidence in AAA and bring him up as soon as he shows that he is a competent hitter at the AAA level.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think it depends on the other options. If Arcia is the 3rd OF, I'd want Hicks in LF to cover more space... plus, Arcia has a strong arm. If Rosario is the third OF, I would want Hicks in RF because of his arm, but also because Rosario would have very good range.

Clear as mud?
    I agree with this scenario if they keep him. I still believe, however, that if he proves to be a solid centerfielder, the Twins should trade him. As we saw with Span and Revere, good centerfielders are valuable commodities - much more so than corner outfielders.

22. This user likes Linus's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (02-21-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 502 Times in 329 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    I agree with this scenario if they keep him. I still believe, however, that if he proves to be a solid centerfielder, the Twins should trade him. As we saw with Span and Revere, good centerfielders are valuable commodities - much more so than corner outfielders.
    Yep. Aaron Hicks would seem to be a CF where all five tools project to average or better and a switch hitter. If he puts a good 3/4 season in, he will be very valuable and if Buxton continues his development, very expendible. Much like trading a very good catcher (AJ) because Mauer was on the horizon, I think this is the best possible scenario for the Twins. Perhaps they would get the near major league ready SS or another stud pitching prospect or both.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast