Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Souhan: Keeping Willingham Makes Sense

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries

Souhan: Keeping Willingham Makes Sense

Jim Souhan lays out a very reasonable argument for signing Josh Willingham to an extension, while also acknowledging his faults.

• Willingham offers a unique skill: the ability to hit home runs at Target Field. He hit 35 of them in 2012. No other Twin has hit more than 25 home runs in a season since the team moved into its new ballpark.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/246267161.html

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    My ideal outfield does not include Arcia in RF. If the Twins decide to keep Willingham around for some added pop it should be as a bench bat and not at the expense of guys like Arcia, who ultimately needs to prove he can be the DH in the near future.

However if Willingham is having a year similar to 2012 by July it would be awfully hard to not try and get something for him.

3. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (02-20-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Jim Souhan lays out a very reasonable argument for signing Josh Willingham to an extension, while also acknowledging his faults.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/246267161.html

Too bad. Souhan just missed the deadline for the 2013 Preposterous Statement Brackets.

Unless it's a heavily incentive-laden contract and Gardy is prohibited from playing him in LF, it's time to move on.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    There are a lot of variables to consider before resigning Willingham. What if Plouffe really starts slugging the ball?? Then he'd be could be kept around as the DH and bench bat. Same for Parmalee. Can Willingham rebound? What kind of prospect would the Twins be able to get for him at the trade deadline? Can he become an elder statesman and bench bat like Thome was for a year or two?

My guess is that there is less than a 10% chance that Willingham is with the club next year, he'll either be traded or they'll let him walk.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    If he wants to come back to Minnesota next year he can. But after he gets traded at the deadline and with the idea that his role will likely be reduced in 2015.

7. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-20-2014), TheLeviathan (02-20-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is he willing to give up on LF and play DH? Cause it sounds like he really doesn't want to from stuff I've read. But he's really, really bad in the field at this point and it will just keep getting worse as he gets older. I like him, and I'd love to have the 2012 version of his bat in the lineup, but I really don't want that bat at the expense of him continuing to lumber around in LF.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Thome was pretty good at hitting home runs at Target Field too, maybe we should bring him back.

But then again, he's old, and kept getting hurt.

Ugh Souhan.
    Willingham is 35. Will be 37 in 2016. He is already a bad OF. Do we really want to jam up the DH spot and give Gardy chances to continue to run him out to LF?

Signing Willingham to an extension for cheap, would be the equivalent(but not as good) to having Jim Thome on the roster. Can't really play anywhere but DH and PH. We already have 3 OF that are better defensively and more are on the way. Arcia needs to be a 50/50 guy at best. 50% in OF & 50% at DH. I don't like the idea of bringing Willy back unless something odd happens. I hope he bounces back and we can trade him.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe>>Willingham

They posted the same OPS in 2013 and both had underwhelming seasons. Plouffe can also play a bunch of positions. Willingham was also 33 when he hit 35 HRs.... he is not Jim Thome.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect that Mr Sano will be able to hit a few out of Target Field as well. Arcia does too. Plouffe and Dozier have done it in the past as well. Not a great reason to keep him.

I'm a Willingham fan, but there is very little reason to keep him around. Even if he slugs before the all-star break I suspect the trade compensation would be minimal, being a half-season rental and all. Why not deal him now and clear room in the OF for guys like Parmelee, Arcia, and (eventually) Plouffe. Those guys need need the AB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Plouffe>>Willingham

They posted the same OPS in 2013 and both had underwhelming seasons. Plouffe can also play a bunch of positions. Willingham was also 33 when he hit 35 HRs.... he is not Jim Thome.
    No, Willingham isn't Thome, but the reasons for not bringing them back are pretty much the same.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    No, Willingham isn't Thome, but the reasons for not bringing them back are pretty much the same.
    Thome was, at least in part, what Thome represented and his larger than life persona. Willingham doesn't provide any of that.

But if he wants to sign for a couple million to DH? Sure, I'd consider that. I just highly doubt he does.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Thome was, at least in part, what Thome represented and his larger than life persona. Willingham doesn't provide any of that.

But if he wants to sign for a couple million to DH? Sure, I'd consider that. I just highly doubt he does.
    Just making the point that being able to hit home runs at Target Field at one time doesn't mean the Twins should keep him around forever.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regarding Jim Souhan's powers of speculation, this is strike two. He wants to extend Willingham. He wanted Gopher's football coach, Jerry Kill, to resign.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...223780401.html

Willing-ham = Logging-jam if he's in the Twins lineup much longer.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am sure that there will better OFers available by next offseason.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Regarding Jim Souhan's powers of speculation, this is strike two. He wants to extend Willingham. He wanted Gopher's football coach, Jerry Kill, to resign.

You must not have been reading Souhan for very long...
    Do or do not. There is no try.

20. These 2 users like Badsmerf's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (02-21-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-21-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post

Souhan has been fouling off strike 3 for years, if only The Strib could find a way to punch him out.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 02-21-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no reasonable argument there. It's mind-boggling to consider clogging this roster with a terrible OF who doesn't seem willing to move to DH. Even as a DH, the Plouffe-Sano situation, the Arcia situation, and perhaps the emergence of Kennys Vargas or someone else seems to limit the desirable of bringing Willingham back. He's an aging veteran with a lot of negative defensive value. This is worthy of consideration how again?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Souhan has been fouling off strike 3 for years, if only The Strib could find a way to punch him out.
    Moderator's note: Folks, Jim Souhan has written a lot over the years. In this thread, it's probably best if we stick to the "argument for signing Josh Willingham", as the OP phrased it, whether pro or con, and save the general critique of Souhan for a separate thread if somebody really feels motivated to begin one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast