Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Roster Projection 1.0

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I am not clear on why this is a 70-win team. It already looks to be better than that given the significantly improved rotation and Mauer replacing Morneau plus Arcia developing better. Those are givens. Hicks, the 5th starter, any sort of bounceback from Willingham and Kubel, and any progress from Plouffe, Parmelee, and Florimon added into that and this would seem to be a mid-upper 70-win team.
    im im very high on Arcia long term but this year is not a given to be better. Sophomore slumps are not uncommon even for great players. This could be a tough adjustment year leading to great things later.

While Mauer may improve on Morneau....Suzuki doesn't replace Mauer. That may be a net loss.

70 wins is a 9 win improvement from their pyth last year. To me that's significant improvement and a far more reasonable projection.

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    If it takes Sano and Bruxton a few years to be productive there may be a couple of years more of 90 losses.

Nah, that's not how it would work. Buxton would be replacing, let's say, Hicks' .192/.259/.338 line while playing comparable defense.

Sano would be replacing Plouffe's .701 OPS (18th out of 21 among 3B).

They don't need to "produce", they just need to not be awful. It has more to do with starting pitching more than anything.

The more I look at the current 40 man roster and the free agent signings this season, the more I am convinced that the team is trying to compete - but are really expecting the youth movement to start in earnest after this year. They have players without options that can fill roles, providing more time for those that do to continue to develop. The question is when they will flip the switch - June, August, September or not until next season for players like Meyer, Gibson, May and Sano. I have a hard time believing that they are going to waive players like Parmalee, Worley, Diamond and Deduno without giving them one more hard look. In the meantime, I would not be surprised if they make an effort to get some of our prospects playing together in the minors - Buxton, Sano, Rosario in New Britain. Meyer, May, Gibson, Gilmartin in AAA. Get these guys playing like a team.
    Last edited by MileHighTwinsFan; 02-18-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 101 Times in 76 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I agreed that this is a 70-75 win roster at this time... and I think most have been saying that this is a transition year from the stop-gaps to the prospects. By July, the roster could be 40% different.
    I put them about there too. I think the rotation is worth 6-7 more wins. The other thing is the division has probably regressed a bit too.

Cleveland was a lucky 90 win team and they lose Jimenez's 3.30 ERA. Masterson may not repeat the 3.45 ERA he had.

Verlander may not be ready for the opener, Sanchez and Scherzer are not likely to be any better, and they lose this year on the Prince for Kinsler trade (not in 3+ years though).

The White Sox didn't do much other than add the Cuban guy, who is a question mark as far as I am concerned.

KC swaps Vargas for Santana. Add Infante.

Seth

Is the projection what you think the Twins will take North, or what you would do in their place? For me they are a little different. What I would like to see:

C-Pinto
    1B-Mauer
    2B-Dozier
    SS-Florimon
    3B-Plouffe
    LF-Willingham
    CF-Hicks
    RF-Arcia
    DH-Kubel
    Bench-Suzuki(C), Escobar (2B/SS/3B), Parmelee (1B/OF), Presley(OF)

SP-Nolasco, Hughes, Corriea, Pelfrey, Gibson
    RP-Perkins, Fien, Burton, Tonkin, Duensing, Swarzak, Worley

Deduno somehow stashed on the DL, Diamond traded/waived

What I expect to see:

C-Suzuki
    1B-Mauer
    2B-Dozier
    SS-Florimon
    3B-Plouffe
    LF-Willingham
    CF-Presley
    RF-Arcia
    DH-Kubel
    Bench-Fryer (C), Escobar (2B/SS/3B), Parmelee (1B/OF), Mastro (if healthy) OF

SP-Nolasco, Hughes, Corriea, Pelfrey, Worley
    RP-Perkins, Fien, Burton, Duensing, Thielbar, Swarzak, Diamond

Deduno DL, Gibson in AAA

Mid-season would be good to see Sano up, with Willingham traded to allow Plouffe to play some OF/DH and Meyer up with Correia traded at the deadline

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    C Pinto
    1B Mauer
    2B Dozier
    SS Escobar
    3B Plouffe
    LF Willingham/Presley
    CF Hicks
    RF Arcia/Presley
    DH Willingham/Kubel

Bench:

Presley
    Parmelee
    Suzuki

Rotation:

1. Nolasco
    2. Hughes
    3. Pelfrey
    4. Worley
    5. Correia

pen:

Perkins
    Burton
    Duensing
    Swarzak
    Fien
    Tonkin
    Thielbar
    Kris Johnson

DL: Florimon, Deduno

Diamond bye bye

When Florimon & Deduno return from the DL, two relievers with options (one lefty) will go to Rochester
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good projection at this point. I think/hope Hicks figures it out and makes the team to start in CF (batting 8th, please) with Pressley as the backup, Mastro in AAA. I have a feeling Worley wasn't completely healthy and will show that last year was a fluke. His two years prior to last were better than Diamond's last two. I think he takes the #5 spot, Diamond in the pen, Pressley given a chance to start in AAA and Deduno on the DL. 25th spot a toss-up between Parmelee and Bartlett. I have a feeling the Twins aren't very confident in Parmelee or they wouldn't have signed Kubel.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the biggest glut is pitching and not enough pen spots to hold them. I don't know why some think we will have 3 catchers. That was a pretty bad idea back when we had Mauer, but the only reason Gardy did it was b/c he would be playing Mauer at DH when he wasn't catching. Pinto would have to continue his September to do that, and I don't see that happening (and I like him as a prospect too)... What I expect to see (and for that matter what think should happen).

C - Pinto/Suzuki (with Suzuki starting at first but Pinto working into the starting role)
    1B - Mauer, Parmelee
    2B - Dozier, Escobar
    SS - Florimon, Escobar
    3B - Plouffe
    LF - Willingham
    CF - Presley, Mastro
    RF - Arcia, Mastro, Parmelee
    DH - Kubel, Parmelee, Plouffe, Mauer, whoever.

Pitching is the hard part. There's 3 guys out of options (Deduno, Worley, and Diamond) competing for 1 starting spot. Therefore Gibson, right or wrong, is in AAA. I predict Deduno ends up in the pen if he isn't on the 60 day and Worley is the 5th starter. Not sure what happens to Diamond.

C. Pinto
    1B. Mauer
    2B. Dozier
    SS. Florimon
    3B. Ploufe
    LF. Pressley
    CF. Hicks
    RF. Arcia
    DH. Willingham/Kubel

Starters:
    Nolasco
    Hughs
    Pelfrey
    Diamond
    Correia

Bullpen:
    Glen Perkins
    Jared Burton
    Brian Duensing
    Casey Fien
    Anthony Swarzak
    Caleb Thielbar
    Vance Worley

I think Diamond ends up in the rotation, because they're gonna want to have at least one lefty. Worley goes to the pen because he's out of options, and Deduno will be on the DL. If Kubel struggles I could see Parmelee rotating with Willingham at DH instead. I could also see Colabello or Parmelee in RF instead of Pressley, and Pressley used as a utility OF. I dont see Mastroianni or Bartlett making the roster.
    Last edited by TC Stunner; 02-18-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My projection was what I think they will do... my "what they should do" would look a bit different, maybe... not much.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    agreed seth agreed. im 100% in agreement with Mr. Stohs!

Also

Aaron Hicks will be in AAA Rochester for like a 90% certainty people!

1 of Mastro or Pressly would have to be Injured for him to make the team.

Jared Burton might have to take over closers role this year, Perkins injury coming, Also I think NOBODY is talking about health right now, so i think if we're as healthy as we were some of last year and most of 2012 we will win about 77 - 78 games.

But if we're not healthy this year, This is what I forsee , I think we win about 67-69 games this year.

I see 2 or 3 people in the bullpen getting hurt, 1 of Hughes or Nolasco "not holding up" and One of the young bats going down with injury. Its just all realistic scenerios.

Look at Oakland like 3 of the last 4 years, They've had 8-12 of their 40 man on the Injury list constantly and last year THEY STILL made the post-season.

Maybe we can be more like Oakland in 2015.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The beauty of Mr Stohs projection is:

By late May or Mid- June all of:

Kyle Gibson, Michael Tonkin, Aaron Hicks, Josmil Pinto and poooosssibly Miguel Sano

Can all be call-ed up on to replace the injuries and guys not producing. Like possibly Parmelee or Fryer or Mastrio and so on and on. Plouffe!?!?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Vegas say 65 I will take the under!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ppearson50 View Post
    I thought it was interesting that Gardy has already talked about carrying 13 pitchers and already is saying Florimon is his shortstop.
    "Interesting"? Or just depressing?

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Vegas say 65 I will take the under!
    Is that the official line? If so that makes it an over for me. I expected 67 or 68....which would've made it very difficult.

No disrespect, but it looks like bad bubble players completing for spots already taken by bad locked in players. **** competing for ****. The Twins will be lucky if they have a player hit 15 Hrs and break 80 RBIs this season. As much as the SP improved, the offense looks so meek still as has the last few years. I say bring in the young guns asap! (Buxton, Sano, Pinto) Give them a chance, they did it with Hicks, why not these guys who have a higher ceiling and were looked at better 5-tool players? People are going to say they arn't ready for the MLB, but what do we have to lose? It can't get any worse. I hate to see young players preform so well and then sent back down to the MiB because they "don't have enough AB's to give them." Bull. Stats have already been displayed to prove, so I don't feel I need to back myself up.
    Last edited by Yoshii; 02-19-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pinto really doesn't have anything to learn in AAA after destroying the IL. Doesn't seem fair to keep him off the roster. Plus, 6 Outfielders is MUCH too many.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there's good reason to think the offense will improve a bit on it's own. in 2012, the offense was more middle of the road and people weren't terribly concerned about it. That was helped by seeing decent production from some of the younger players. I think you will likely see some steps forward from Dozier, Arcia, Parmelee, Plouffe, along with a rebound year from Willingham. None of that is unreasonable to expect. The real question is how much. The wildcards in my opinion will be Pinto, Sano, and potentially Buxton.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 281 Times in 181 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where do we get the two roster spots for Mastroianni and Kubel?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like all of your position players assumptions except for Mastro--I think Hicks earns another trip North out of Spring Training. As for the pitching, it's too early to worry about what to do with Worley, Deduno and Diamond. Best case scenario is that everyone stays healthy and pitches well, while other teams suffer some rotation injuries, and we are able to trade one or more of those three (or Correia) for help in the lineup or a good prospect. Reality, however, suggests that at least one projected rotation or bullpen guy (and maybe one of the 3 guys w/out options) will start the season on the dl, and at least one will pitch himself into a AAA spot or just being cut.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast