1B: Mauer
    2B: Dozier
    SS: Florimon, Bartlett
    3B: Plouffe, Escobar
    LF: Willingham, Kubel
    CF: Hicks, Presley
    RF: Arcia

12 Pitchers

If Sano is hitting like a madman...do they try to trade Plouffe? Escobar has the LH split thing going for him.

How much better is Suzuki than Fryer/Herrmann?

I don't think the Twins can trade Kubel right after signing him..or can they? What if both Willingham and Kubel hit well? Hard to justify either in the OF at this point.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 811 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, you mentioned Aaron Hicks in the OF discussion, but didn't put him on your depth list of 6. Any significance or assumption to him not being on that list?

What are the chances that a reliever or two are traded this spring to make room for one of the extra starters on the 25-man?

2 spots aren't clear in your scenario- do the Twins go with a 3rd catcher, a Jamey Carroll-type additional utility guy (Bartlett), a 5th OF, or another bat for those last 2 spots?
    Last edited by jokin; 02-17-2014 at 11:18 PM.

This is a depth the Twins haven't seen for quite a while. Unfortunately, it's very low-quality depth, but the first step is to have a choice, so that's progress. My biggest fears with this team are 1) Gardenhire has input into the decisions, 2) getting fooled by young hitters hitting in spring training, and 3) Chris Parmelee not getting a proper chance.

I'm not suggesting Parmelee's anything, really, but I'm afraid this is the year where he would prove if he's a legit MLBer and the Twins won't give him a proper chance to show it. This is a lost year, and if the Twins have a player there, they need to keep/use him as an asset. The whole world knows who Jason Kubel is, and that is...a minor league contract. Keeping Kubel cannot lead to anything positive for the Twins.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 483 Times in 317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pretty close to my projection. I have Bartlett making the club as the 25th player over Parmelee. I also have two out-of-options starters in the bullpen over Pressly and Thielbar. The Twins probably need a RH or switch hitter for that last position, Parmelee would replace LH hitters Kubel, Mauer, or Arcia.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    So you're waiving Worley and Deduno? How do you see that playing out?

7. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-18-2014)

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It honestly seems to me that the Twins are actually hoping a pitcher gets injured enough to be put of the 60 Day just to make things easier for them.

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gotta echo Psuedo.

Worley, Deduno and Diamond... I'm not comfortable with any of them being given up on.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    That looks like a 70 win roster to me. Pitching slightly better, horrendous lineup, bottom 10 in the league in defense. Yuck.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Gotta echo Psuedo.

Worley, Deduno and Diamond... I'm not comfortable with any of them being given up on.
    The Twins were earnestly pursuing Garza, Arroyo and Yoon- presumably they were more comfortable than some of us in moving on with at least one of these names. They must still see the DL, a last-minute trade or sneaking someone through waivers as viable ploys.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 239 Times in 173 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My guess is Diamond is the 5th starter, Worley is in the pen, and Deduno magically needs some rehab (DL). Boy one additional signing like Drew or Cruz could make the lineup bearable. I know Sano is up soon and that will be exciting. But we have some big holes at SS, C, 3B for awhile, and a question mark in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    My guess is Diamond is the 5th starter, Worley is in the pen, and Deduno magically needs some rehab (DL). Boy one additional signing like Drew or Cruz could make the lineup bearable. I know Sano is up soon and that will be exciting. But we have some big holes at SS, C, 3B for awhile, and a question mark in CF.
    I would love for us to sign Ervin Santana at the same contract Ubaldo just got - 4 and 48 million. Its better to have too much pitching then to suffer through another rotation full of pitchers with 5 ERAs.
    If we signed Santana, we would still be under $100 million in payroll and we could trade someone like Correia or Gibson for some competition at shortstop for Florimon.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Unless Hicks gets called up and absolutely siezes the job in CF, there's still a big hole there, too.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 483 Times in 317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    That looks like a 70 win roster to me. Pitching slightly better, horrendous lineup, bottom 10 in the league in defense. Yuck.
    It is "yuck" going north, but by midseason, I expect Pinto and Sano to supplant the veterans at catcher and 3B respectively. I also believe we'll see Hicks by Memorial Day. Add in a September recall for Buxton and the table is set for a much improved lineup going forward. Meyer and Gibson probably will get their promotions sometime this season, as well. I'm not terribly optimistic about the present, but the near future looks really, really exciting.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    I think the Twins actively shop Duensing and Swarzak to create room with the #5 rotation spot logjam. I think this because I assume they would be easier to move than Diamond/Worley/Deduno.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Seth, you mentioned Aaron Hicks in the OF discussion, but didn't put him on your depth list of 6. Any significance or assumption to him not being on that list?

What are the chances that a reliever or two are traded this spring to make room for one of the extra starters on the 25-man?

2 spots aren't clear in your scenario- do the Twins go with a 3rd catcher, a Jamey Carroll-type additional utility guy (Bartlett), a 5th OF, or another bat for those last 2 spots?
    This is a roster projection as opposed to a depth chart. So, the 25 names mentioned are the 25 who I think will be on the MLB roster on opening day. Obviously the degree of confidence is more or less for some players than others. I think that answers the questions that you have.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    So you're waiving Worley and Deduno? How do you see that playing out?

I don't know... In reality, based on the projection, the answer is yes, but my confidence level in that isn't very high. As has been mentioned, Thielbar and Pressly have options... it'll be interesting.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    If it takes Sano and Bruxton a few years to be productive there may be a couple of years more of 90 losses.

I thought it was interesting that Gardy has already talked about carrying 13 pitchers and already is saying Florimon is his shortstop.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I would currently bet on Deduno being the 5th starter with Gibson starting out in AAA because he has options left and so he can pitch consistently every 5th day. I'm thinking Diamond beats out Pressly for the last bullpen spot so they don't lose him for nothing (which actually might work well for his career).

I think Hicks will beat out Mastroianni, but I don't know if he'll get the start. I do see Willingham playing a lot more DH than LF this season, but he'll probably be the Opening Day starter there. Parmelee might get the DH slot, but I agree Kubel probably has the edge.

This might be the first time in several years where I don't object to the Twins carrying 12 pitchers.

I want Pinto to be on the opening day roster, but I'm betting Gardy will want someone who "can really pick it back there" or something equally silly. That said, Pinto isn't going to hit like he did in Sept, but his bat should be a real asset at catcher and this offense needs it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast