Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Roster Projection 1.0

I agree with Yoshii. There is just way too much mediocrity with our projected lineup to get excited for the early part of the season. I like our SP much better than last year, but it is so very tough to get excited about our hitters. Every spring I am one of the most optimistic fans when it comes to our Twins, but unless our April lineup looks more like the September predictions, it is tough to expect anything more than 70 wins. Seth, I would love to see your "wish" lineup to go with your "projected" lineup.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

Q: Did you talk to anybody on the Twins staff to come up with this projection, or is it just reading the tea leaves?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Is that the official line? If so that makes it an over for me. I expected 67 or 68....which would've made it very difficult.
    I see 71.5. I would guess over by a win or two, but too close to put anything on it. Tigers 89.5, Indians 80, KC 79.5, CWS 77, Twins 71.5.

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/m...rates-phillies
    Last edited by tobi0040; 02-19-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Seth,

Q: Did you talk to anybody on the Twins staff to come up with this projection, or is it just reading the tea leaves?
    Tea Leaf reading...

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I see 71.5. I would guess over by a win or two, but too close to put anything on it. Tigers 89.5, Indians 80, KC 79.5, CWS 77, Twins 71.5.

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/m...rates-phillies
    Life savings on the under. No way this group, with this offense, has a 10 win improvement. (Wildcards like Sano/Buxton/etc. subject to change that of course.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Life savings on the under. No way this group, with this offense, has a 10 win improvement. (Wildcards like Sano/Buxton/etc. subject to change that of course.)
    But of course you don't get to pull your bet back if Sano, Buxton and Meyer end up getting earlier than expected promotions. I'd keep your life savings just where it is to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    But of course you don't get to pull your bet back if Sano, Buxton and Meyer end up getting earlier than expected promotions. I'd keep your life savings just where it is to be safe.
    Even with them I think the odds are strong for the under. I think the Twins will be rightly cautious about calling those kids up to what could be an awful ballclub by June 1st. My guess is many of those debuts happen closer to Aug 1 than June 1. And even if they're earlier, a 10 win improvement over their pyth is a lot to ask for.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even with them I think the odds are strong for the under. I think the Twins will be rightly cautious about calling those kids up to what could be an awful ballclub by June 1st. My guess is many of those debuts happen closer to Aug 1 than June 1. And even if they're earlier, a 10 win improvement over their pyth is a lot to ask for.
    The Twins will have every incentive to bring Sano and Meyer up right after June 1. We want to keep their service back (Twins way) and the marketing machine will want a boost after watching this team for the first 60 games.

Until then, Meyer will need to work on (insert control or presence, or change up) and Sano will need to work on (insert defense or K's).

Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    The Twins will have every incentive to bring Sano and Meyer up right after June 1. We want to keep their service back (Twins way) and the marketing machine will want a boost after watching this team for the first 60 games.

Until then, Meyer will need to work on (insert control or presence, or change up) and Sano will need to work on (insert defense or K's).
    Well, not every incentive. It depends on their readiness I would hope too. Sano had an adjutment period in AA, he may have another in AAA, and yet another in the majors. It's a bit presumptive of people to expect these guys are not only all-stars but they hit the road as all-stars.

Even great players often take some time to get their feet wet. The idea that come June 1st we add these guys and suddenly take off is completely ignoring typical prospect development.

I would expect, like most here, that Hicks, Pinto, Meyer, Sano, and Buxton will all start in the Minors. Boring, yes, but good for the team in the long run....Hopefully, all or almost all of them, will see the majors this year.

Quote Originally Posted by KirbyHawk75 View Post
    I would expect, like most here, that Hicks, Pinto, Meyer, Sano, and Buxton will all start in the Minors. Boring, yes, but good for the team in the long run....Hopefully, all or almost all of them, will see the majors this year.

Well if the Twins hope to have any excitement for the start of the season and hope to sell tickets, they better bring a few of those guys north with them. I think Hicks and Pinto are the most likely candidates to start out on the major league roster. Buxton, Sano, Meyer etc, have pretty much no shot at making the major league roster, no matter how they perform in spring training. The Twins are not gonna want to lose arbitration years on those guys. But Hicks and Pinto better start the season on the big club, or the Twins are going to have a tough time getting people excited for the season. Nobody I know is excited to see Pressley, Collabello etc.

Not (hopefully) a important position battle, but who is backing Mauer at 1st? Parmalee, Calobello? or babe Plouffe?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234