Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florimon's Appendix at SS

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally, not reading too much in to this. Floriman did a solid job, did what he was supposed to do at least defensively, and is the incumbent. Not sure how much of a competition Escobar and Bartlett would have/will provide coming up from AAA and a year in never-never land. Always figured Escobar was a top utility prospect and Barlett as his competition and dark horse SS candidate who would begin the year in AAA.

I think Gardy is just saying Floriman was his guy to begin things, and is still in the running. You know, the whole "injury doesn't make you lose your job" scenario.

But what if Escobar takes control? What if the rumors we hear about how good Bartlett looks early on are real? Think Gardy would start Floriman just for the hell of it? Thinking not.

Still think there is an open option here, with Santana as an extreme dark horse.

But boy would I love a Wally Pipp scenario!

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Unless Florimon doesn't recover physically, there is virtually zero chance he isn't the every day SS. That was always the case, and Gardy isn't saying anything new or revealing here. It's why some of us hoped for Drew.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His first child born and his appendix being taken out happened in short order.

Kids used to cost an arm and a leg.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

4. These 4 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (02-18-2014), James (02-18-2014), jokin (02-18-2014), USAFChief (02-18-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Or Escobar.
    Mainly Escobar. Bartlett is a no-risk shot in the dark at this point.

But there's no reason to lock Escobar out of the starting role in February. All the Twins' SS options are bad but at least make them fight for the job in ST.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bartlett's the one guy to have hit at the MLB level. His troubles have been related to injury, not a general decline. He says he's healthy now, and he should be given a fair shot to win the job as much as Escobar or anyone else.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,200 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Kids used to cost an arm and a leg.
    Tell Pedro to wait. This was just the down payment.

8. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-18-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 311 Times in 194 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    I think Gardy is just saying Floriman was his guy to begin things, and is still in the running. You know, the whole "injury doesn't make you lose your job" scenario.
    I read it that way too. Basically, he's not losing the job because of the injury. Doesn't mean he couldn't lose it due to something else, or a confluence of factors, of which the injury might be one. Seems like an obvious thing to say, but most manager/GM media quotes are pretty obvious things to say.

Then again, my interpretation might be wishful thinking. As much as we might not like it, it's clearly Florimon's job to lose right now, and he doesn't lose it from a two-week injury.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I read it that way too. Basically, he's not losing the job because of the injury. Doesn't mean he couldn't lose it due to something else, or a confluence of factors, of which the injury might be one. Seems like an obvious thing to say, but most manager/GM media quotes are pretty obvious things to say.

Then again, my interpretation might be wishful thinking. As much as we might not like it, it's clearly Florimon's job to lose right now, and he doesn't lose it from a two-week injury.
    This. Gardy just babbles so its crazy to put stock into an answer like this. Patrick Reusse once said that if he had 10 minutes with Torii Hunter he could get him to say anything. Gardy is much the same way, he just kind of affirms whatever direction the question is going. I took the whole thing to mean "Florimon isn't disqualified because of his injury".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12