Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 32 of 65 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Crawford's new mock is up and has the Twins taking Jackson. He s going too host a chat, no sure when, but I will try and push the questions forward.

http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/04/t...14-volume-iii/

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    mlbpipeline supposedly released a new top 100 for the draft but I can't find it. Here's the video discussing it: http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/2627167...yers/?c_id=mlb

Mentions a really strong pitching class - 12 of the first 15 could be pitchers. Hoffman and Rodon haven't been as impressive as expected but a bunch of others have stepped up - Aiken, Kolek, Nola, Freeland, Finnigan etc.
    They finally updated the draft board:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/wat...14/#list=draft

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    They finally updated the draft board:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/wat...14/#list=draft
    Definitely a lot of things I don't agree with on this list but that usually happens when Mayo is involved. Still fun the click through.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'm ok with a hitter.....they do play 150 times a year, and it's not like the minors are stocked with sure fire hitters. I'd also be ok with a pitcher.....so ya, that was a useful post.
    Lighten up Francis....

5. These 3 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

chuchadoro (04-29-2014), gunnarthor (04-29-2014), Siehbiscuit (04-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agree. Barring anything unforseen, I'd be pretty stoked about Jackson.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson
    One guy the #MNTwins love w/ No. 5 pick in a few weeks: HS righthander Tyler Kolek (Shepherd, TX). Twins also pretty sure he's going top-4.
    Outside of an injury I have a hard time seeing him fall to us. Too bad because his arm is electric.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'm ok with a hitter.....they do play 150 times a year, and it's not like the minors are stocked with sure fire hitters. I'd also be ok with a pitcher.....so ya, that was a useful post.
    Agreed. Once Buxton/Sano graduate we might not have a single top 100 hitter.

Barring a surprise pick the top 4 seems pretty set in stone at this point. Unless the Twins have great conviction in another arm, Jackson looks to be our guy. Could we pull our own surprise and take Nick Gordon? That could be interesting...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Right now I can't see Aiken, Rodon or Kolek falling to us. I'd love one of Hoffman/Jackson so long as both are healthy but if Hoffman is hurt and Jackson is gone ... ugh. After that, according to mlbpipeline it's guys like Nola, Gordon, Beede. They have Zimmer at #10. If Jackson's gone and Hoffman's hurt, I think the Twins could take a guy like Gordon but I'm not really excited about that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    http://www.hnydt.co/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/gc1.gif

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With no consensus #5, I'm curious to see if the Twins would cut a deal and save some money. There are a lot of pitchers... and being able to spend extra in Rd 2-10 (and later) might be more appealing now than ever.

14. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsin17 (04-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Callis and Mayo are answering draft questions on Tweeter.

Will Twins miss out on 4 player top tier?
    Callis: may not get a shot at Aiken, Rodon, Kolek, Hoffman. Jackson is still a very good option at 5.

Who are Twins looking at if Aiken, Rodon, Hoffman, Kolek are off the board, besides Jackson?
    Mayo: Nola, Gordon.

How is Beede?
    Callis: Beede less consistent recently, not impossible he could fall out of top 10 with quality of arms available.

Does Nola have front line guy stuff, or more 3/4 SP?
    Mayo: Maybe No.2/VG No. 3? Plus pitch ability with good stuff.

Can Beede move higher than 6-10?
    Mayo: right now, I don't see him hitting top 5, but way to go still.

Who rates better pre draft between Gordon and JP Crawford?
    Callis: almost identical, really. Gordon better on mound!
    Last edited by cmb0252; 04-29-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    I'd flip out if the Twins took Nola. They're supposed to be done with this low ceiling crap.

I don't think they will, they do appear to value upside in their 1st round picks, though the Eades pick in round two last year gives me a little pause.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'd flip out if the Twins took Nola. They're supposed to be done with this low ceiling crap.

I don't think they will, they do appear to value upside in their 1st round picks, though the Eades pick in round two last year gives me a little pause.
    In fairness to the Twins, Callis/Mayo has Nola the #6 draft prospect. And Johnson has drafted ceilings fairly consistently, even with risks about control or injuries (Gibson, Hunt, Bullock etc). In fact, I think Wimmers might be the only real "safe" pick he made and that was a pretty late first round pick.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    With no consensus #5, I'm curious to see if the Twins would cut a deal and save some money. There are a lot of pitchers... and being able to spend extra in Rd 2-10 (and later) might be more appealing now than ever.
    If they take Weaver, they could save around a million, use that to bring in hard high school signs over the next several picks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

I would also be very....very disappointed if they took Nola. I personally have him 13th on my board. If the Twins are going to take a 6'2 pitcher at #5 with no projection give me Holmes. Not only does he have a better delivery but two pitches that are 65+.

20. These 2 users like cmb0252's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-29-2014), nicksaviking (04-30-2014)

I'm intrigued by Kyle Freeland, he's shooting up draft boards and shutting down opponents. What he's doing reminds me a lot of Kyle Zimmer a few years ago (interestingly the 5th pick that year and also a Kyle). After doing some YouTube scouting he reminds me a lot of a left handed Zimmer with an extra 2 seamer. Anyone have any thoughts on him?

On a side note think about if we had drafted Zimmer and took Freeland this year, then in a few years we would have had the killer Kyles (Gibson, Zimmer, and Freeland), that would have been fun......

I would be fine with Freeland, if his last two years were better he would be receiving a lot more buzz. He dominated the Cape and has been unhittable this spring. I have to think the Twins like what they see with him (Control? Check. Misses bats? Check.) and are giving him strong consideration. As another poster proposed this could be a lower cost strategy and allow the team to pick some higher ceiling HS arms later in the draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    I'm intrigued by Kyle Freeland, he's shooting up draft boards and shutting down opponents. What he's doing reminds me a lot of Kyle Zimmer a few years ago (interestingly the 5th pick that year and also a Kyle). After doing some YouTube scouting he reminds me a lot of a left handed Zimmer with an extra 2 seamer. Anyone have any thoughts on him?

On a side note think about if we had drafted Zimmer and took Freeland this year, then in a few years we would have had the killer Kyles (Gibson, Zimmer, and Freeland), that would have been fun......
    I don't see the comparison. One is lefty while one is a righty. One is a freak athlete while the other is average. While they both are draft risers it is for different reasons. Zimmer had, has, significantly better "stuff" then Freeland but not the control. Zimmer has ace potential while Freeland has #2 potential but a better chance to reach it. If you get a #2 pitcher at #5 in the draft not only would it not be a bad thing but a success.

While I wouldn't be upset with Freeland but I would not be excited. I personally have 9-10 prospects ahead of him. Also, I'm not sure if you would get much if any of a discount taking him #5.

Page 32 of 65 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast