Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 26 of 65 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Freeland pitches in the low 90's from my understanding and he's beating up guys in the Missoui Valley conference. I'm guessing those strikeouts wouldn't translate as well in the SEC let alone professional ball. Without knowing a ton about him, he seems to be the kind of low ceiling, command pitcher we are all tired of the Twins running out there.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, BA mentioned Freeland in the same "pack" as Hoffman, Beede, Nola, Fedde, and Finnegan in their Apr 10 update. And then went on to rank him at no. 9.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/coll...hers-dominate/

I also need to learn more about him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree we need to learn more. That's why I said he should be on the Twins' board.

Freeland pitches in the low 90's from my understanding
    His velocities are not unlike Rodon's this year. They are considered plus, especially for the two-seamer. To that you add plus movement and plus-plus command. And deception. And two very different fastballs coming out of the same delivery.

he's beating up guys in the Missoui Valley conference. I'm guessing those strikeouts wouldn't translate as well in the SEC let alone professional ball.
    That's true. But he pitched very well in Cape Cod League where Hoffman gets all of his cred. The difference is that Freeland has carried it over to this year.

Without knowing a ton about him, he seems to be the kind of low ceiling, command pitcher we are all tired of the Twins running out there.
    For years it seemed the Twins were going after the next Radke. But Radke did not have the Freeland's movement or velocity (both plus). He surely didn't have the two-seamer. Nor did he have Freeland's plus slider. Radke did have the plus change-up. Freeland's change and curve are works in progress, but they are progressing.

Could Freeland be Radke or Scott Baker without the HR tendencies? I don't mean to suggest that that's his floor, but his floor is higher than Kolek's or Rodon's or Hoffman's, IMO. Could he be the next Clif Lee or a LH Doc Halladay? My point is that there is considerable ceiling there that's not just wishcasting.
    Last edited by Lonestar; 04-14-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FWIW

Aaron Fitt: I think that is the takeaway. If the draft was today, I’d say Rodon, Nola, Hoffman, Beede. Nola has out-performed them all by a wide margin, and I have a feeling he’s got a chance to sneak up into the top 5 picks. Right now, Kyle Freeland might be ahead of a couple of those guys; I could see him jumping into the top 5 too. And I still see Finnegan in that group too.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...th-aaron-fitt/

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    I still think Hoffman would be great at #5. He is super athletic. Just last week McDaniel was talking about him still being in the convo for 1-1. Now that may not be the case after his last two starts, but the guy does throw mid 90's heat and plays for a terrible team. He went through 4 catchers in first 6 weeks. Get him here, teach him a change, and we are talking a #2 minimum maybe #1 guy. I would be bummed if the draft went:

Aiken, Kolek, Rodon, Hoffman in some sort of order. Leaving with Jackson, who I am still not sold on as a top 5 pick. In fact, I would rather have Nola, whose floor seems to be #4 and ceiling a #3...as well as being in the big leagues by late next summer.
    Ceiling of a #3 at the number 5 pick just isn't good enough for me. Also, while he has been a beast some scouts worry about his size/delivery. Before the year people were talking about him might having to move to the pen. I much rather draft a middle of the order potential bat in Jackson.

Three high schoolers that I think are good fits for the Twins in the second round (if they last) are Killer's grandson Grant Hockin (a solid and upward trending pitcher with a pretty sound delivery and build), Keaton McKinney (great changeup), and shortstop Cole Tucker (also upward trending and a new favorite of mine due to his contact ability and good chance at sticking at SS).

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    BA is definitely higher on Freeland then most. He is a solid pitching prospect but he isn't in my personal top 10. If he had one 70+ pitch we could talk. Just look at how well Wacha has done with only two pitches because his change up is a 70-80 grade pitch depending on the day. Rodon's slider is a 70 on a bad day.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by the_youngster View Post
    Three high schoolers that I think are good fits for the Twins in the second round (if they last) are Killer's grandson Grant Hockin (a solid and upward trending pitcher with a pretty sound delivery and build), Keaton McKinney (great changeup), and shortstop Cole Tucker (also upward trending and a new favorite of mine due to his contact ability and good chance at sticking at SS).
    Those are some solid names. I'm a big fan of HS LHPs Mac Marshall and Foster Griffin. Both could be long gone by the second round though.

Two college guys that interest me are Luke Weaver and Derek Fisher. Both were potential top 15 picks but have seen their stock's nose dive, Weaver for performance and Fisher from injuries, who can slide to the second round. When Jeremy did his first board he had the Twins hot and heavy on Weaver. Could be this years Ryan Eades.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Those are some solid names. I'm a big fan of HS LHPs Mac Marshall and Foster Griffin. Both could be long gone by the second round though.

Two college guys that interest me are Luke Weaver and Derek Fisher. Both were potential top 15 picks but have seen their stock's nose dive, Weaver for performance and Fisher from injuries, who can slide to the second round. When Jeremy did his first board he had the Twins hot and heavy on Weaver. Could be this years Ryan Eades.
    I also am a big fan of Marshall, but in my first mock through round 2 (first 69 picks) I predicted him to the Marlins at 36. I do feel that the second round is a good spot to try and get one of these fringe first round high schoolers. I also like Jacob Bukauskus, another RHP with a plus fastball and is receiving some high praise recently.

Senior Member All-Star
    Crawford's new draft board is up:
    http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2014/04/t...14-volume-iii/

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I'd be happy with Jackson, Hoffman and Beede all on the board at #5.

Senior Member All-Star
    Not a huge surprise but this article suggests that the White Sox are looking to take a pitcher with their #3 pick. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cws/...&vkey=news_cws

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Not a huge surprise but this article suggests that the White Sox are looking to take a pitcher with their #3 pick. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cws/...&vkey=news_cws
    There was an article a few weeks ago saying the cubs are also focusing on pitching (people said that last year and they still took Bryant). I wouldn't be surprised if the first 4-6 picks are pitchers. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if 8 of the first 10 picks are pitchers.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Nick Gordon....I know, not BPA probably, but still intriguing to me. If he's 10% less "BPA" than Jackson....and you think Jackson is moving to the OF.....I think you take Gordon, since it is more than x% harder to find a legit SS than an OF.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Nick Gordon....I know, not BPA probably, but still intriguing to me. If he's 10% less "BPA" than Jackson....and you think Jackson is moving to the OF.....I think you take Gordon, since it is more than x% harder to find a legit SS than an OF.
    Id rather take the pitcher over the best ss. Best ss could be a bust. At least a pitcher could be moved to bullpen. I just think adding pitching is just so hard to do unless you draft them early. I do get sick of watching florimon with the bat. He is so lost...but i havent read anything...anywhere, that has any ss worth a top 10 pick this year. The only ones ranked high are ranked there because they are ss's and not because they belong

Senior Member All-Star
    If the draft was held today my top 5 would be Rodon, Hoffman, Aiken, Kolek, and Jackson(not in order). Seeing we pick #5 we would get one. I would be a little disappointed if we didn't draft one of them. The draft isn't today so there is plenty of time for Beede, Holmes, or Gordon to make it into that elite group.

Senior Member All-Star
    Video of Alex Jackson's long HR yesterday. Kid can hit:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJEhsAmx1o

Senior Member All-Star
    I think Jackson has moved to the top of my wish list at this point.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Top 10 college performances of the last week, sorted by K%:

Name, Position, Team IP TBF H R ER BB SO K%
    Kyle Freeland, lhp, Evansville 8 29 4 1 0 0 15 51.7%
    Daniel Savas, rhp, Illinois State 2 8 3 0 0 0 4 50.0%
    Aaron Nola, rhp, Louisiana State 7 28 4 2 2 2 13 46.4%
    Nick Howard, rhp/3b, Virginia 2 7 1 0 0 0 3 42.9%
    Chris Diaz, lhp, Miami 6 25 6 2 2 1 10 40.0%
    Michael Cederoth, rhp, San Diego State 1 5 1 0 0 1 2 40.0%
    Carlos Rodon, lhp, North Carolina State 7.2 32 6 2 1 3 12 37.5%
    Wyatt Strahan, rhp, Southern California 7 31 2 2 2 3 11 35.5%
    Jacob Lindgren, lhp, Mississippi State 3.1 15 3 1 1 2 5 33.3%
    Austin Davis, lhp, Cal State Bakersfield 7 28 3 0 0 2 9 32.1%

(My guy AJ Reed comes in 11th at 30.3%)

Freeland is definitely on a roll.

But, here is a question re: Freeland vs. Rodon.

According to BA's week 9 roundup, Rodon threw 134 pitches. Some percentage of these were sliders (it would be nice to know how many). In any case, he got 20 whiffs on sliders in one start. Even without knowing how many sliders Rodon threw, it stands to reason that the whiff rate is pretty excellent. And further evidence of how good that pitch is.

Freeland however, is a command guy. So, how many swings and misses is he getting? On what pitches? and how many K's (and strikes) are looking?

Getting some hard numbers on swing outcomes against Freeland would help compare the two on stuff.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 04-16-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Well, BA mentioned Freeland in the same "pack" as Hoffman, Beede, Nola, Fedde, and Finnegan in their Apr 10 update. And then went on to rank him at no. 9.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/coll...hers-dominate/

I also need to learn more about him.
    I'm not disagreeing that Freeland doesn't have 1st round talent, if the Twins had a 10-20 pick he'd interest me, but not at 5. Out of that pack, I have no interest in Nola, Fedde and because of his size Finnegan. Beede's falling off my wish list also.

Page 26 of 65 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast