Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 25 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    2012 - 4.52 ERA, 71 IP, 68 K, .287 BA against. 3.95 BB per 9.

2013 - 2.10 ERA, 94 IP, 97 K, .179 BA against, 5.26 BB per 9 (not a typo).

2014 - 2.81 ERA, 48 IP, 52 K, .175 BA against, 3.0 BB per 9.

I hope he manages his control enough so that someone in front of us takes him. This has us changing his delivery to gain better control written all over it.
    Agreed. No way the Twins change their philosophy for Beede. It's the other way around. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already out of contention for the front office.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    You're missing Beede's latest start against Texas A&M 5IP 4K 4BB
    Unless Beede turns it around, I can see him falling toToronto. Again. They would need his permission to draft him since they draftedhim in 2011. It could be that he falls past Toronto.
    I think he does fall further. Could be a Stanek or Manaea even?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    The fact that Beede is a little wild is what intrigues me. He let's it go and is anti-The Twins Way. Beede WANTS to strike people out and that is why he is a top 5'er for me.
    Actually, the Twins haven't really drafted the Twins way since Johnson took over. The fact that Gibson is the only Twins pitcher to make the majors in that time might make you rethink your position - Gutierrez, Hunt, Bashore, Bullock, Tootle etc. A lot of those guys were big time strike out pitchers that were a little wild.

I'm actually terrified of a Beede pick at this point.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    New ESPN insider article by Crawford:

A scouts take on Jackson:
    "I think Jackson is the best hitter in the class," an NL scout said. "He had some timing issues early in the year, but he's impressed me with the way he's made adjustments. I think you're looking at a guy who can hit .300 and give you 25-30 homers during his best seasons, and I don't see any other hitter with that kind of potential this season at either the college or high school level. I think he's going to end up in right field, and he should be an All-Star there."

Other notes:
    Aiken is a beast and could be the first HS pitcher taken at #1 since the Yankees took Brien Taylor #1 in 1991.

Nola dominated again this week but some scouts question how he will do vs big league left handed batters.

One scout thinks if Hoffman's breaking pitch doesn't show the same life it did in the Cape Cod League he could be a back end starter.

Crawford says most scouts he has talk to have Beede as the #2 collegiate pitcher even after his poor outing this weekend.

Zimmer could be the best collegiate bat in the draft and could go top 10. He has been hot all year but went 1-10 this weekend.

Link to the article which has a ton more notes:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1511

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Actually, the Twins haven't really drafted the Twins way since Johnson took over. The fact that Gibson is the only Twins pitcher to make the majors in that time might make you rethink your position - Gutierrez, Hunt, Bashore, Bullock, Tootle etc. A lot of those guys were big time strike out pitchers that were a little wild.

I'm actually terrified of a Beede pick at this point.
    Beede has insane stuff but he scares me too. Just not sure if the command will ever come.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems like the top two tiers are starting to take shape.

Aiken, Kolek, Jackson, Rodon in tier 1.

Hoffman, Holmes, Toussaint, Zimmer, Nola, others in tier 2.

Am I wrong?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post

Am I wrong?
    I wouldn't be surprised to see your tier 1 to go in the first 4 picks.

I wouldn't put Nola or Toussaint in tier 2 yet. Toussaint is certainly intriguing and might make it but I don't think Crawford or KLaw or McDaniel et al have nominated him for the second tier.

Is Beede in your second tier?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see your tier 1 to go in the first 4 picks.

I wouldn't put Nola or Toussaint in tier 2 yet. Toussaint is certainly intriguing and might make it but I don't think Crawford or KLaw or McDaniel et al have nominated him for the second tier.

Is Beede in your second tier?
    Not mine personally, no.

Put it another way - the top tier is starting to take shape, and it looks like the Twins might be on the outside looking in.

Senior Member All-Star

Am I wrong?
    I suppose but the Crawford piece was the first real negative I've read about Hoffman. I'd like to know more about that but I still like him.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    I suppose but the Crawford piece was the first real negative I've read about Hoffman. I'd like to know more about that but I still like him.
    Rumors of the White Sox liking him at 3 would make me think he's still top tier, or that the top tier may not be settled by draft day.
    Last edited by maxisagod; 04-14-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 274 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Beede has insane stuff but he scares me too. Just not sure if the command will ever come.
    Beede looks an awful lot like Trevor May to me. The Twins don't really care that May has struck out 814 batters in 680 innings. Last year he K'd 159 in 151 innings. His ERA was 4.15 if you remove his best two and worst two starts. His BB per 9 was just a tad over 3 in that sample. But we were dissapointed and will not promote him until he gets the BB's down.

Seems like an awful match.

Senior Member All-Star
    Here is the exact quote:
    "He looks like a solid back-end starter to me," an AL West scout said. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you saw him over the summer you'd be disappointed with that prognosis. The slider/curve just isn't an out pitch like it was in the Cape Cod League, and without that, I don't see a guy worth a top ten pick."

Personally I'm still a huge fan of his. If he can find his breaking ball I think he is a solid #2 starter. Crawford is releasing his new draft board tomorrow so it should be interesting where he ranks Hoffman. Once it is up I will post it here. Also, this week or next week mlb.com is supposedly updating their draft board.

Give it a week or two and Kyle Freeland's name will be coming out of everyone's mouth as a top 5 candidate. I am not too worried the top tier is just four players deep, there does not seem to be the same drop off in talent as there has been in previous drafts between the first two tiers. Last year, for instance, was a significant drop off from the top 3 to our pick at 4. I think it is safe to say everyone would have rather us picked Appel, Bryant or Gray than Kohl Stewart. Not meant to be a knock on Stewart but the top 3 are just at another level talent wise.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Put it another way - the top tier is starting to take shape, and it looks like the Twins might be on the outside looking in.
    That's one way of looking at it.

I was happy with the Kohl Stewart draft last year. Hopefully I am that happy this year.

Remember when Rodon was on a tier by himself. Now he is barely clinging to the first tier IMO.

I can (and will) make a case that Kyle Freeland is as good of a bet as Rodon. And he's trending the right way. I would take him over the thrower (Kolek). I would be be very disappointed if Freeland wasn't on the Twins board.

15. This user likes Lonestar's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsin17 (04-14-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsin17 View Post
    Give it a week or two and Kyle Freeland's name will be coming out of everyone's mouth as a top 5 candidate. I am not too worried the top tier is just four players deep, there does not seem to be the same drop off in talent as there has been in previous drafts between the first two tiers. Last year, for instance, was a significant drop off from the top 3 to our pick at 4. I think it is safe to say everyone would have rather us picked Appel, Bryant or Gray than Kohl Stewart. Not meant to be a knock on Stewart but the top 3 are just at another level talent wise.
    Stewart was much farther away but some scouts liked him more than Appel and Gray. I don't think it was a "significant drop." (And BA ranked Appel 39 and Stewart 52. Stewart might actually have a bit higher ceiling).

Senior Member All-Star
    Several of you are significantly higher on Freeland then me. Has solid stuff but no 70 grade pitch I would want from a college pitcher.

Here is the exact quote:
    "He looks like a solid back-end starter to me," an AL West scout said. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you saw him over the summer you'd be disappointed with that prognosis. The slider/curve just isn't an out pitch like it was in the Cape Cod League, and without that, I don't see a guy worth a top ten pick."

Personally I'm still a huge fan of his. If he can find his breaking ball I think he is a solid #2 starter. Crawford is releasing his new draft board tomorrow so it should be interesting where he ranks Hoffman. Once it is up I will post it here. Also, this week or next week mlb.com is supposedly updating their draft board.
    hoffman has had performance questions each spring and then gone on to blow people away during the summer. that's not an endorsement. he's an uber athletic guy with great arm strength who has everything riding on developing his arsenal so if he hasn't been able to do it yet....

mark appel is a similar case study: he was a guy with the arm strength and build of a hoffman who had performance questions. his freshman and sophomore stats were decent but not great and then he put it together his junior year and solidified his status. personally, i'd rather have nola than any other college pitcher not named rodon.

...and i doubt the twins would pop him at no.5 but bradley zimmer should start generating that kind of buzz.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Several of you are significantly higher on Freeland then me. Has solid stuff but no 70 grade pitch I would want from a college pitcher.
    I am becoming a Kyle Freeland fanboy. Let us compare him to Carlos Rodon.

Rodon has a four-seam fastball with plus velocity. But can you say that Rodon has plus command of his fastball this year? All three ofFreeland’s fastball components (velocity, life and command) are at least plus (orwere in his last two outings). And that is true of his two-seamer as well as the four-seamer.

Freeland pitches off his fastball. Rodon pitches off his slider. And his slider is a plus-plus pitch. Freeland’s slider is considered a plus pitch, flashing a grade higher. In general, a front-line MLB starter has to pitch off his fastball.

Both have curves and change-ups that are works in progress.

Rodon has a impressive body of work over the last two years,but concerns are emerging this year over his velocity, command, and ability tohandle adversity. Freeland faces a weaker college schedule, but he excelled since his breakout in last summer’s Cape Cod League.

With his command, control, and 5-pitch mix, Freeland is much more efficient than Rodon. Efficiency isa good thing if he can maintain as he faces more advanced competition. It also means he has had less pitcher abuse.

At 6’3” and 234 pounds, Rodon offers no physical projection. At 6’4” and 195, Freeland might have some physical projectability left. And he is certainly more athletic.

Freeland has a clean bill of health whereas Rodon has had some back problems.

Last, but not least in a race this close, Rodon’s advisor is Scott Boras. Then again, I don’t know who Freeland’s advisor is. Freeland will likely be cheaper.
    Last edited by Lonestar; 04-14-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    I still think Hoffman would be great at #5. He is super athletic. Just last week McDaniel was talking about him still being in the convo for 1-1. Now that may not be the case after his last two starts, but the guy does throw mid 90's heat and plays for a terrible team. He went through 4 catchers in first 6 weeks. Get him here, teach him a change, and we are talking a #2 minimum maybe #1 guy. I would be bummed if the draft went:

Aiken, Kolek, Rodon, Hoffman in some sort of order. Leaving with Jackson, who I am still not sold on as a top 5 pick. In fact, I would rather have Nola, whose floor seems to be #4 and ceiling a #3...as well as being in the big leagues by late next summer.

Page 25 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast