Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    If I could get Reyes....I'd use a number 5 pick on that. I doubt that happens either....

To be clear, I agree, they should be drafting a guy they think should be great. Where we disagree is the definition of a great SS, I think.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    How can you have three plus pitches but not a knockout tool?
    I don't know how accurate the report was on twitter last night, but it is rumored that Holmes hit a 100 last night. If that is still not a knock out type pitch, I am giving up baseball.

Kolek was up to 98 as someone mentioned. I love that kid, very hard worker. Works on his dad's cattle ranch, wants to be like Nolan Ryan.

Rodon won't be around at 5, unless teams are afraid they can't sign him.

Beede has a very high ceiling and would be a safe pick for the Twins. Rodon will move faster through the minor leagues, but Beede has just as good as stuff as Rodon. Rodon more polished right now.
    Love my God Daughter, Love Baseball, Love Twitter , I Love Golfing.

-I use to think Drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I may not be on the same page as Willihammer but it's not that he needs to have power so much as he needs to have as many avenues to contribute as possible. Mauer was an assumed 5 tool prospect. He has turned out to be a great pick even though the power and speed didn't develop. His hit tool is great and he was a great defensive catcher for a long time. He's good despite only hitting on 3/5 of his tools but I'd imagine he'd be considered a bust if he'd only developed 2.

Going into the draft, if a guy only has three tools, he's going to have to hit on all of them. It could happen and he could play at his ceiling like Elvis Andrus, but the odds are likely against all three tools being as advertised.

However scouts may change their mind on Turner. They may end up believing he will hit well at the next level and/or develop some sneaky power. I'd be fine with a projection of lots of XBH and 10-15 HR if he can get on base. I'd take a Dustin Pedroia type at SS any day.
    the question is whether or not Turner has a powerless bat like Andrus or if he truly has gap power. The problem is that this thread is just lumping him in with Andrus because he doesn't have 25+ HR power. This also remains my biggest question about him but the reports are suggesting that he is not an Andrus type hitter and more of a Reyes or Ellsbury type. An Andrus type is not worth the #5 pick but a Reyes/Ellsbury type is definitely in the conversation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    From KLaw's chat today:

Is it possible for Jeff Hoffman to improve his stock enough to overtake Rodon as the prime candidate for 1/1, or would it require some sort of decline from Rodon?

Klaw (1:19 PM)

Rodon is going 1-1 barring injury. I don't see anyone who can overtake him. I've even talked to two national guys who both saw flaws in Rodon, and they still said he's clearly the top guy in the draft with no one close.

I think you have mentioned Sean Newcomb as a potential helium guy in the upcoming draft. What are some things you like about him, and how high can you see him going if all goes well this year?
    Klaw (1:52 PM)

Three plus pitches but below-average command. Of course, I'm guessing last Friday's game was the first time he could walk outside since October, so he's probably behind the warmer-weather kids.

When does your first mock draft come out?
    Klaw (1:59 PM)

Early May. Mocks before then are largely useless. Today I could tell you Rodon 1 and Kolek 2 and that's it. Teams really don't narrow their preferences down enough to put together a credible projection for the first round until late April.

Also one none draft question but a Twins one:

Klaw, Phil Hughes said today that he's scrapping his slider in favor of his curve. Do you think this is a good decision, or does the slider have potential to be better than his curve?
    Klaw (1:50 PM)

When he was first coming up he had a pretty darn good CB. I think that can still be an out pitch for him, or at least the closest thing he'll have to one.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    A player could easily be above average while only hitting 10 HR's.
    Approves:

20100720__100721Mauer.jpg

I just hope there is a great prospect at 5 and I prefer that it be a SP or SS. When you think about the possibilities of Turner, Rosario, and Buxton at the top of the order that could be fun to watch. Mauer won't be here forever but the lineup may look like this one day.

1) Turner
    2) Rosario
    3) Buxton
    4) Sano
    5) Arcia
    6) Harrison
    7) Kepler
    8) Pinto
    9) Hicks

Maybe AB Walker becomes the player we hope and they have a few huge 1B DH guys in the wings, including the latest International signing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    How about Vargas in the batting order too? Viable or not?

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    How about Vargas in the batting order too? Viable or not?
    This is a really big year for our minor league IMO. Lot's of very young arms plus Meyer, May, and even Darnell. You could even look at Diamond and Worley in the same light as a prospect.

Obviously, this is a really big year for the elite prospect position players. There are also quite a few guys that seem like they have a pretty darn high ceiling but also might be busts. Vargas is one of them. It is probably the optimist in me but I think there are a bunch of other guys that could really step forward this year. The guys like AB Walker that have not gained elite status but seem like they could elevate their stock this year. Santana, Polanco, Kepler, Goodrum, and Harrison are in a similar position. I will be pulling fo them.

9. This user likes Major Leauge Ready's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (02-28-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    This is a really big year for our minor league IMO. Lot's of very young arms plus Meyer, May, and even Darnell. You could even look at Diamond and Worley in the same light as a prospect.

Obviously, this is a really big year for the elite prospect position players. There are also quite a few guys that seem like they have a pretty darn high ceiling but also might be busts. Vargas is one of them. It is probably the optimist in me but I think there are a bunch of other guys that could really step forward this year. The guys like AB Walker that have not gained elite status but seem like they could elevate their stock this year. Santana, Polanco, Kepler, Goodrum, and Harrison are in a similar position. I will be pulling fo them.

This, this, and this! The reason our system is ranked so high is because of the start potential and the depth. There's a lot of lower ranked guys who could find themselves on top 100 lists next year, even as we graduate players like Sano and Meyer. Thorpe, Gonsalves, Harrison, Kepler, Walker, Vargas, Polanco, and even May all fit that bill right now. If they come out dealing this season, coupled with continued success of guys like Sano, Meyer, Rosario, Stewart, and Buxton, there's going to be a lot of reasons to be excited about Twins baseball for the remainder of the decade.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Nice insider writeup from KLAW today. Beede was awesome apparently....and he now thinks he's in the top 3 discussion for sure.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Nice insider writeup from KLAW today. Beede was awesome apparently....and he now thinks he's in the top 3 discussion for sure.
    Isn't the knock on this guy control issues? I think are sitting at #5 in very deep draft. to the extent you have multiple pitchers with 95+ fastball and another plus pitch, I would take the one without any control questions.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Needs has definitely looked like the top of rotation starter people thought he could be. His fastball was sat at 92-95 with good sink. I will get a weekend round up out later and include his stat line. Definitely think he could be an option at 5 for the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Isn't the knock on this guy control issues? I think are sitting at #5 in very deep draft. to the extend you have multiple pitchers with 95+ fastball and another plus pitch, I would take the one without any control questions.
    Yeah that has always been the knock but reports say he worked on his mechanics in the off season which has lead to better control. Obviously it has only been 3 games but if he can show over the season he really has turned the corner he is definitely a top 5 guy. I'm a fan.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    It's early but I'd be happy with any of Beede, Rodon, Hoffman or Kolek falling to us at #5. It'll be fun to watch the draft boards develop as the HS seasons get going more.

16. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (03-03-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    It's early but I'd be happy with any of Beede, Rodon, Hoffman or Kolek falling to us at #5. It'll be fun to watch the draft boards develop as the HS seasons get going more.
    Yep. Some years it is sucks to be stuck at #5 when there are only a few great options in a draft. This does not appear to be one of those years. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and effective so that the Twins have multiple high-upside options at #5.

18. This user likes markos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-03-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    Yep. Some years it is sucks to be stuck at #5 when there are only a few great options in a draft. This does not appear to be one of those years. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and effective so that the Twins have multiple high-upside options at #5.
    Yes, looks like it's going to be a fine choice regardless. If Rodon, Hoffman, Beede, and Kolek did go #1-4, the Twins would perhaps be selecting the very best position player in the entire draft.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Yes, looks like it's going to be a fine choice regardless. If Rodon, Hoffman, Beede, and Kolek did go #1-4, the Twins would perhaps be selecting the very best position player in the entire draft.
    I agree. Turner, Jackson, and Gatewood all look good to me.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Hopefully the Twins will not draft a pitcher that will immediately require TJ surgery as was the case with Gibson and Wimmers in back-to-back years yet.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beede bet on himself coming out of HS turning down a few million. He might bet on himself again if he drops a little bit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Isn't the knock on this guy control issues? I think are sitting at #5 in very deep draft. to the extent you have multiple pitchers with 95+ fastball and another plus pitch, I would take the one without any control questions.
    The problem with this strategy is that the HS pitcher's control, secondary pitches and overall risk are all worse (typically) than Beede's. Another month of this and Beede will certainly be in my top 5 although he wasn't there before the season.

Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I agree. Turner, Jackson, and Gatewood all look good to me.
    I'm not as convinced that they all look good.

Turner - I have argued for Turner in this thread but he does actually need to show some pop in his bat to be the #5 pick. It's not that he needs to hit X number of college HR's but he needs scouts to project to hit 10 HR's and plenty of doubles in the majors.

Jackson - I need to be convinced that his bat is that good instead of him getting a significant bump simply because he plays catcher. Maybe he sticks at catcher but he needs to be drafted for his bat.

Gatewood - He needs to transfer his outstanding tools into game performance. Again I don't care if he sticks at SS (it would be a bonus) but he needs to show that he will have a legit MLB bat if he's being drafted at #5.

Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast